Discuss Any Ideas welcome Angle drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

steveafoss

I need to drill 4omm holes in some joists that are only 12" apart i have tried 2 of those angle drill attachments (from screwfix) both only managed a couple of holes before breaking any advice welcome. PS Money tight at moment as only just starting working for myself.

Steve

ive got the big makita and a set of short auger drill bits but i tink the biggest is 30mm those angle attachments are realy for screw driving inside cupboards

Maybe an angled drill can be hired?? Or else borrow? I think Metabo or Bosch do a decent angled chuck attachment, but not for pennies. You can carefully use hole saws for the job.wiggle them very slightly while drilling & they won't jam. You sometimes need to stop & remove what you have drilled with a wood chisel, as hole saws may not be as deep as width of joist.

If money's tight could you not hire an angle drill for the job? Like stevetheplumber I have the Makita angle drill & it's worth it's weight in time savings alone.

hi Steve, i have drilled loads of simular joists on new build houses for years now. You need to get yourself a angle drill like one of theses mate.

DA4000LR:MAKITA-MAKITA DA4000LR 710W Right Angle Rotary Drill

this is good for most drill bits but best for auger rather then spade due to low speeds, hole saws should be fine but hole cutters like the dewalt or milwaukee would be better suited.

Makita DA4031 1/2inch/13mm Rotary Angle Drill 110V (DA-4031)

this is the drill i have and its excellent, it has a higher speed setting so can drill faster and is suited better for drill bits that need a higher rpm. If you can afford one i would recommend this but it comes at a price.

Metabo Angle Drilling and Screwdriving Attachment

or you could consider this if you have a drill that it will fit.

you will need to get some short drill bits aswell, stubby augers etc....

I have got a set of Forstner Drill bits they work fine so no problems with the drilling its getting into the space thats my problem will have a look at hiring and will treat myself to a Makita when i make my first million lol, Thanks for all your replies who makes the best cordless as my JCB ones just packed up.

makita, bosch, milwaukee, dewalt, hitachi are all good. you get what you pay for.

I can highly recommend the Makita BDA 351 Angle Cordless drill. Very well made and very powerful. This tool has saved me so much time when it comes to drilling in tight spaces.

Got a brilliant Dewalt cordless angle drill for under a hundred quid, but without a battery (I have 3 batteries allready).
Try toolbank browse
If you're doing lots of heavy drilling a corded one would be better.

if your cabling in plastic through joists all day it has to be corded this is mine w.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=makita+angled+drill&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-GB:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=16978086344077471183&sa=X&ei=cQLDTvWxEM3ysgb05IGADA&ved=0CHYQ8wIwAg

any good? sj-red-saw-lg.jpg

Hi thanks for your replies the [h=1]Makita DA4000LR 240v 13mm Angle Drill[/h]looks the business going to hire one to do the 5 holes left to do, and will be on my list of first things to get when the money starts to coming in.

Thats what i would have done (used saw) but not with this customer wants holes. long story

Reply yes it is waste, the pipe to run in a studied wall the customer spent several thousand on new bathroom suite and doesn't want to be able to see any pipework.

you can drill holes in joists upto 1/4 of total depth of joist, aslong as you are within the drilling zone of the joist which is 25 to 40% of the length/span from wall to wall.(load bearing points)

Drilling holes that size (even when it passes the rules above) has to be a last resort....be careful. You could end up with a bouncy floor.

Drill arrived, (MAKITA 6300LR angle drill of Ebay ÂŁ77.00) holes drilled perfect :smug2:

Ebay? Just hope its not nicked. I avoid Ebay now if I can, its a cess pool of crime.

Hi yes was Ebay Just like to say all on ebay is not nicked, I sell alot on there myself Not Nicked.

Hi yes was Ebay Just like to say all on ebay is not nicked, I sell alot on there myself Not Nicked.

Sorry, wasn't implying you were dodgy Steve but with a site as huge as Ebay there are always going to be a few criminals. A friend of mine was recently done for 4k on an Ebay scam not to mention the thousands of stolen items sold on there every week.

Anyway I'm going to shut up, I don't want to talk myself into a hole like Jeremy Clarkson!

I've bought loads of honest tools of ebay - from honest sellers. Just use common sense when talking to the seller.

Anyway - Angle drills. An electrician friend use 2 types. I've drilled many holes with them both. A Metabo angle drill. Does the job, very high torque but no clutch. Takes your hands off if you let go. I hate it. Then he bought a Metabo BE622 drill with the angle attachment. Extreme Torque with a clutch. This thing is a dream to drill holes with. It has so much power - and never ever grabs. Highly recommend it.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Any Ideas welcome Angle drill in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I have a small plot of land that Im trying to make livable. Hopfully the picture makes sense, from soth to north there is a slight hill...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone! Parents not used the boiler since 2013/2014, since installing a new wetroom for them they have now decided its worth getting the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a bath tub in my apartment that is draining very slowly. It does finally drain but only after about 12-15+ minutes. After trying...
Replies
Views
Attached is a ground floor picture of the soil pipe in our home. There was originally a toilet which has now been permanently capped off and you...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Would welcome your thoughts on this. I'm installing a low level shower tray, over a timber floor. Cast iron soil stack only about a...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock