Discuss Advice on self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrisgy

I work for a company now but I think about going self employed a lot of the time, I see the money I make on private jobs and think why am I not doing this in the week.

Could someone tell me when I buy materials for my jobs if I'm self employed do I pay VAT. And the best way to get customers in the beginning?

Also any advice on the main things to consider when starting up?

Thanks

if you are starting up on your own there are many, many overheads to include. You will be looking at spending around £500 a month on ads. Yes you will pay the vat but you will sell on the parts .

earmark first year per month ( only a rough guide )

Ads £ 500
petrol £ 120
van £ 1000 one off purchse min
pub liability £500
initial spares £ 300
mot ?
van ins ? say 500
website?
all your own tools ? £400

estimated turnover first year per month £ 1600
so 1600 minus say 700 per month for first year running costs = £900 profit a month. Clearly it is different for everyone though this wasn't far off my mirst year estimate.
Profit first year maybe £10000 if you are lucky . Good luck mate .

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chrisgy Asking the vat question suggests your not yet ready to go it alone. Plumbing is the least of your worries. Get your head around how business works, is the first thing. It far to complex to get sufficient information on a site like this. Good Luck

Hi Chrisgy Asking the vat question suggests your not yet ready to go it alone. Plumbing is the least of your worries. Get your head around how business works, is the first thing. It far to complex to get sufficient information on a site like this. Good Luck

The reason I ask about vat is because as you probably know all the prices in pts etc. are excluding vat and just wondered why.

Hi. I did not wish to be rude. But you will probable be better of drawing your money tax paid and earning a bit via privates. Times aint good out there at this point of time. Water leaks are a lot easier to deal with than financial leaks and quite a few plumbers are losing money at the moment. Good Luck

if I'm self employed do I pay VAT

Of course you do. If you do enough to get registered you can claim it back but then you have to charge it on materials and labour.

eg
not registered
buy taps for £10 inc vat add £1, fit for £20. Total job cost £31 = £21 to you

registered
buy taps for £10, claim vat back =£8.51 (1.49 vat) add £1 to taps fit taps for £20 inc vat
Total job cost £31. £4.62 to pat to vat man = £17.87 to you.
To make the same money you would have to charge £34.67 but have the pleasure of knowing you are helping the economic recovery:(

Remember when you have a job, the jobs you do at the weekends are an extra on top of your £20K/yr or whatever.
When you go self employed those jobs become your only source of income and you will need a LOT more of them.

Of course you do. If you do enough to get registered you can claim it back but then you have to charge it on materials and labour.

eg
not registered
buy taps for £10 inc vat add £1, fit for £20. Total job cost £31 = £21 to you

registered
buy taps for £10, claim vat back =£8.51 (1.49 vat) add £1 to taps fit taps for £20 inc vat
Total job cost £31. £4.62 to pat to vat man = £17.87 to you.
To make the same money you would have to charge £34.67 but have the pleasure of knowing you are helping the economic recovery:(

Remember when you have a job, the jobs you do at the weekends are an extra on top of your £20K/yr or whatever.
When you go self employed those jobs become your only source of income and you will need a LOT more of them.
Totaly agree with above,it is not as easy as peeps think at the moment,times are lean.

Plumbing is the least of your worries. Get your head around how business works, is the first thing. It far to complex to get sufficient information on a site like this. Good Luck

I agree with justlead, I sometimes wish I had been a businessman before doing plumbing, been on my own for three years and I'm learning lessons the hard way, most of them cost you, work/life balance isn't the same, if your not working your thinking about it.

I could give you the hard life story, but i'm kind of happy to be in control of my destiny whether it's being skint or flat out with work. Then again if someone offered me a job, 9 - 5 mon to friday, payed hols I'd have to take it lol.

You'll know when to do it, no rush.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also any advice on the main things to consider when starting up?

One of the main things to consider is how you are going to compete with all those employed plumbers doing cheap private jobs at the week end:(

Consider how you are going to go on holiday with no holiday pay:(

Consider how you are going to pay all the over heads involved and still put a meal on the table:(

Consider how you can not plan anything for the next 5 years until you get established:(

Consider how when you do plan the smallest thing,you have to cancel as you have to go back to a job you did and have not been paid for yet,due to a leaking pipe,only to find the carpet fitter has put nail through pipe,the same carpet fitter who you met on the way to job and sold concert tickets to cheap as you now could not make it :(

Consider how if you do get any work how you are going to feel spending all those free hours doing paperwork,chasing money,cleaning old copper fittings, up and down the scrap yard seeing what hey have in,to get parts off :(

Consider being your own boss,with no one to answer to .....apart from the customers and contractors,bank manager,your and merchants accountants,regulatory bodies and who ever...always someone :(

Consider staying employed for now,were your grass is indeed probably greener and weed free...ish :)

imho

And if you can sort all that lot out and can do it . There is absolutely nothing better than being your own boss :)
I do agree with the other posts mind, it can be an absolute pain:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on self employed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock