Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on Loose Salt-Glazed Collar in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jonjack

pipe.jpg

Hi

I have removed a broken Salt-glazed bend at the base of the soil stack in my house.
I have cut away at the salt-glazed pipe that was coming off the bend to create a nice end to take a Fernco.
The only 1 thing that I'm slightly nervous about is the fact that this piece of Salt-glazed pipe that I have attached the Fernco to has about 2mm of movement in it - its not very loose but it does move - I noticed this as I was attaching the Fernco to it. Basically, the collar on the next section of pipe is broken since I can see the collar move slightly with the pipe. I do not want to dig the lot out and replace everything up to the inspection chamber since this is under the floor of an existing extension - so there is about 12-15 inches of concrete and an Antico wood floor in place that I am loathe to remove any more of.

I can probably chase the salt-glazed pipe just past the collar but since everything is covered in the usual half-tonne of concrete I am a bit nervous of how far I am going to keep breaking the existing. I have monitored the situation for a week now and there does not seem to be any leak from the collar - although this is difficult to entirely rule out since its encased in a layer of concrete.

My questions are:-

1. Do I need to do a U-gauge test to ensure that the system has acceptable air leakage (I haven't had Building Control involved since I was replacing a broken section which I believe is allowed)

2. Would you trust this collar, add a bit more cement around it and cover over?

Thanks
Jon

Last edited by a moderator:
To be quite honest I'd trust it, I repaired/reinstated many of these. It'll be fine, would worry about the air test either. Good luck.

I would carefully excavate around it. Then encase the joint in a strong mix of mortar, but instead of using water in the mix, I would use SBR.

Then after it had fully set, and was supported again in peashingle, I would air test it.

I would do all this, as if it is leaking, you're in the SH**. Literally.

Thanks for all the comments.

Is the U-Gauge the only way to do a proper air test and can they be hired?

Thanks

Yeah, you'll need a U guage and a bung (or a bag - inflatable).

Sure they can be hired, but you can buy a full testing kit for about £40 from Toolstation. Think Screwfix do them too.

Or go to a local 'Drain Centre' where they'll have them in stock.

The bungs are cheaper than the inflatable bags, but a bit harder to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on Loose Salt-Glazed Collar in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi folks, Attached photo of Marley 95 degree branch. Could anyone in the know let me know if the collar at the bottom where it enters the...
Replies
Views
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind...
Replies
Views
I am seeking some advice on how to seal up my sump pit. I currently get condensation on the walls and floor around the pit, and in the past there...
Replies
Views
I have a Vaillant eco plus 837, year installed 2008. It works well. We have one large zone for the house with 13 rads running off it. We also...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock