Search the forum,

Discuss Marley 95 degree Branch question please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi folks,

Attached photo of Marley 95 degree branch.

Could anyone in the know let me know if the collar at the bottom where it enters the concrete floor of my bathroom is a separate piece please?

Directly below the branch is a Salt glaze pipe, am I right in thinking that collar at bottom of branch is a separate piece (pipe) which will be a bit narrower than the saltglaze, and so hangs inside to direct sewage down the saltglaze.

I had my home emergency cover send out one of their drainage expert engineers about 2 weeks ago, as the concrete round the soil pipe was wet.

the engineer dug out the concrete, and summoned me over, and I briefly saw that the water came up from the saltglaze pipe when he flushed the toilet, pushing the rope tar seal up. Before it slid down again to rest on the top flange of the Saltglaze pipe

I'd be interested to know if that collar at bottom of the branch is the top of some kind of spiggot that fits into the saltglaze.....surely it isn't just sitting over the saltglaze pipe?

Apparently he used denso tape and re mortered the joint to the saltglaze, which had a wider collar at the top of the clay pipe.

The attached photo shows the mortar levelled off on the floor.

Apparently the leak was because the branch had got a bit of an angle on it, and as soon as he straightened it the water went down the saltglaze without pouring out the top.

Any help much appreciated

Attachments

• 20230119_133637.jpg
    20230119_133637.jpg
    573 KB · Views: 6
It'll look something like this in the ground (no gap tho') with the Marley branch pushed into the top adapter.

However if the water level came up to the top of the glazed flange it's likely the pipe in the ground is partly blocked.
The water should just fall away, not rise.

Pipe and socket.png

It'll look something like this in the ground (no gap tho') with the Marley branch pushed into the top adapter.

However if the water level came up to the top of the glazed flange it's likely the pipe in the ground is partly blocked.
The water should just fall away, not rise.

View attachment 80969
Thanks snowhead, great help mate
So in my photo is that wider grey bit just above concrete level, the top of the grey part in your photo, and is that brown pipe in your photo the saltglaze, or a spiggot?

I agree the level coming up would logically indicate blocked pipe, but when he sent CCTV down it was in superb condition and no blocks
According to the drainage guy who fixed it he said the grey adapter in your photo was in at an angle, and as soon as he straightened it the water went down ok,

Last edited:
Yes. top of picture modded to show what you see,

Pipe and socket mod.png

The bottom brown pipe is a glazed pipe with a socket from the time they would have used rope / mortar in the joint, pre 1970's unless Local Authority / Government then it may be later.

Yes. top of picture modded to show what you see,

View attachment 80980

The bottom brown pipe is a glazed pipe with a socket from the time they would have used rope / mortar in the joint, pre 1970's unless Local Authority / Government then it may be later.
Thanks mate, thats it exactly.
I think the guy sealed it with Denzo tape and mortar......may have also put tar rope in too.

Hoping it will hold for at least another 30 years, the house was built in 1969.

Thanks again mate for your great help

Reply to Marley 95 degree Branch question please in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock