Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on 2 jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mutley racers

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
The 1st is a bathroom in the ground floor flat. The tenant stood in the shower and the shower tray sank a little. Then he stepped on a tile and it cracked. When pulling the tile up the floor underneath was sopping wet and the joist I can push my finger through with ease. The leak was coming from the tap connector on the bath and must have been leaking for ages.

What I really need to know is how do I estimate for this? Obviously I will need to take shower tray out, bath out and take the tiles off the floor until I can see dry ply wood. Replace joists, who knows what the damage is under there. I can't get under the floor to check either.

2nd is I need to heat a soup kitchen. It's a small hall that had little radiant gas heaters in which have been condemned. Now the problem is it is a timber construction with asbestos panels on the inside and no insulation.

Firstly, am I allowed to heat this space as it is? Secondly, can I get the UV values for this construction from any where

i would quote the bathroom as normal/ what you know will need doing and then include quotes for whatever may arise in worse case so they understand the possible costs. detail exactly what they are and are not getting in your quotes.

i would quote the bathroom as normal/ what you know will need doing and then include quotes for whatever may arise in worse case so they understand the possible costs. detail exactly what they are and are not getting in your quotes.

The guy wants to claim on his insurance so has asked for a worst case scenario.

if insurance is paying quote for new joists,floor, full replaster, tanking, even the cost of a chemical toilet while the bathrooms out of action.

As said quote to replace everything then if its worst case, and don't forget if its been leaking for ages, the ends of the joists to the a joining rooms may be damage

Or worst case there's a spread of rot

Be careful if its a really big insurance job. Some insurance companies get their own guys into do it.

Ok,,what about the 2nd job. I have found asbestos sheet u value in the domestic heating design guide and it also says a uv for soft timber. Could this be used as shiplap cladding? If so, could I just add these 2 values together to get the heat loss?

I just tried the stel rad stars with asbestos corrugated sheet and plasterboard and a 5 x 5 x 4 metre room came out at 4kw only. I cannot believe that

Anyone know how they would go about sizing a heating system for the 2nd job above? I have emailed CIBSE to see if they can give some U values on the construction of the building but who knows how long they will take. The client would like a quote as soon as. I don't really want to just add asbestos sheet U value and soft timber U values together and then end up with a cold room. When I do add them together the U value is less than a single brick wall??

Anyone know how they would go about sizing a heating system for the 2nd job above? I have emailed CIBSE to see if they can give some U values on the construction of the building but who knows how long they will take. The client would like a quote as soon as. I don't really want to just add asbestos sheet U value and soft timber U values together and then end up with a cold room. When I do add them together the U value is less than a single brick wall??

timber construction with no inso will give you an idea of where to start

Unfortunately not, just the design guide. I have downloaded stelrad stars though?

what ever you have put it worse case they can always turn down the rads/drus, and every heating eng needs a mears calc

Ok, I shall invest in a means calculator, but, in the mean time can you give me the U values of an uninsulated timber building from your meals calculator please☺

Ok, I shall invest in a means calculator, but, in the mean time can you give me the U values of an uninsulated timber building from your meals calculator please☺

i would need the size of the room and whats above pitch roof etc?

be carefull with that asbestos. drilling it and screwing into it etc. wouldn't entertain it to be honest!! health worth more than money to me! so tell them that storage heaters would be the best option for them!! haha

be carefull with that asbestos. drilling it and screwing into it etc. wouldn't entertain it to be honest!! health worth more than money to me! so tell them that storage heaters would be the best option for them!! haha

ab outside clad i think he means? mut??????????????

ab outside clad i think he means? mut??????????????

Asbestos board is on the inside, wood is on the outside. They are planning to stick battens and plywood and then I will fix rads to ply.

It's 5 x 5 x 4m and it's asbestos board on inside of pitched roor and corrugated iron on the outside

Asbestos board is on the inside, wood is on the outside. They are planning to stick battens and plywood and then I will fix rads to ply.

It's 5 x 5 x 4m and it's asbestos board on inside of pitched roor and corrugated iron on the outside

what heaters are you using dru?

Radiators is what they are after. They don't want anything else, even with the tall ceilings

19000 btu so up it to worse case 22k (heating) btu you can tell how old my mears is :D

Might not be what you or they want but quartz electric heaters would probably be better. Instant heat and they do not heat the air, only wha the light from them touches.

As to the other job, quote for the plumbing and leave that your not sure of, could wind up being a pain the arse.

Might not be what you or they want but quartz electric heaters would probably be better. Instant heat and they do not heat the air, only wha the light from them touches.

As to the other job, quote for the plumbing and leave that your not sure of, could wind up being a pain the arse.

I shall look into the heaters but don't really want to pass on the work if I am able to heat it.

I work with a builder who works on a standard day rate so will just add him in to it

So is that 19000 ÷ 3412 to get kw? So I don't need 22 kw in there is what you are saying? Does your meals calculator add a percentage for windows?

22000 btu

yes one on each wall 4 walls 4 windows total? and just btu to kw into google much easier

but i would work on your one its not much more and they defo cant complain there a bit chilly

Last edited:
22000 btu

yes one on each wall 4 walls 4 windows total? and just btu to kw into google much easier

but i would work on your one its not much more and they defo cant complain there a bit chilly

Thanks feller, appreciate the help.

It actually has 8 windows single glazed so I will go for about 12 kw in there. Definitely mo complaints then

Thanks feller, appreciate the help.

It actually has 8 windows single glazed so I will go for about 12 kw in there. Definitely mo complaints then

np and you always turn down but you cant turn up as the gaffer always said, and theses females are always cold :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on 2 jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've got an issue with the shower tray not being totally flat. As you can see from the photos, it is about 7mm out at one side. It's leaning towards the waste end though. The shower tray is pushed underneath the tiles. My mate did the tiling and I now realise that we should have put the shower...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a stone-resin shower tray, new ceramic tiles on the floor and half tiling on the walls. All the work...
Replies
Views
I removed the tile floor in my bathroom to fit vinyl and I noticed that the loo now leaks slightly when I flush it. I haven’t put the vinyl down yet, so I can build up the floor under the loo if needed to put it back to the level it was, but maybe I can re-seat the big plastic flange slightly or...
Replies
Views
Good morning! First post looking for advice on an issue I am having with a bath installation. Although I have installed many baths before, mainly using perimeter battens for support, I am attempting to install a fancy whirlpool/jacuzzi bath for my son. Plumbing and electrics are sorted but my...
Replies
Views
morning everyone. Could someone please give me a ball park figure to have a bath removed and a walkin shower installed, wooden floor with joists, its a very small bathroom but can get a 750mm tray in, price to include tanking and full length polymer coated screen and tiling please. Job in York...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock