Search the forum,

Discuss Worcester Condsen. Boiler. Intermitten CH failure. Me and Gas man at witts end in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to be long winded but.....

Holiday Flat. 5 year old Boiler in loft space. Working Perfectly until Oct 2013

-Worcester/British Gas fit Model ZWB 7-29 CC1

Background - We have the thermo set for practically 24 hrs over 2 cycles at 15c. 08.30am -20.29 & 20.35 - 08.25am. (specific reason for this that is long winded and not important)

When we arrive into the flat we demand heat and the boiler will come on and warm the flat to desired tempertaure until 1) we turn it down 2) Will auto reset to 15c when the next cycle commences. That has been the happy process for 3 years. (Using Siemans Wireless Thermo)

Problem 1 - The boiler did not give CH demand as desired. (Co-insided with new BT Internet Hub situated right underneath the Thermo.)

If we the took the Siemans Thermo closer to the boiler it came on.
We had to take the thermo closer to boiler to turn off heat or to tell boiler the next cycle had begun or that we wanted a change in temp.
In the middle of the night the heating would come on and belt out at an incredible heat to the point that we turned the boiler off at the fuse spur to stop heat.

Result £330 gas bill where normally for that period it would have been £100.

Solution - Change Thermo Unit under guarantee as poss. fault and move Thermo into a different room away from BT Hub. No fault found on boiler

Outcome - Boiler responded at distance from the replacement Thermo. However, randomly we could not get heat when desired and the random heating sessions during the night continued.

Solution - No faultt found on boiler. The Thermo 'seemed to be working' - In sheer frustration We changed thermo to a Danfoss Wireless.

Outcome - Happiness for 1 month.

Next problem.

Again random times where no heat provided on demand and again random night bursts (which all ended when the morning cycle started) Thermo was useless to try to control these blasts.

Having rechecked the Thermo, and it was working fine, had several conversations with Worcester we determinded that it must the the PCB that had gone. This has been replaced. 2 weeks later we have had no repeats of the night time blast (so far) BUT we still have random times were we cannot get heat on demand.

Example. Yesterday. We upped temp to 19c mid afternoon. Lovely. We went out for dinner at 6.30pm Came home at 9pm and requested 22c in a room with an amibient of 17c. The wireless thermo kicked in, the receiver receives and lights up and the boiler does nothing.

What we do know

The BT Hub does not effect the problem. We turned the thing off for a month.
The only other thing that is wireless in the flat is the printer
The heat on demand issue only seems to be on the 2nd cycle 20.30pm to 08.29am (99% of the time)
All pressures checked and are perfect
Frost measures etc checked and double checked and are ok.

Me and my trusty Gas Man are at our witts end. Please no comments about cutting our loses and changing boiler. There is a huge legal complexity with about a £10k price tag that is stopping us doing that. (listed building, leasehold issues etc. changing flue position etc etc

Does anyone have any ideas please? We are willing to try anything.

bin any rf units and use a hard wired programmer/stat, it really is that easy to prove its the programmer at fault, rf units can be set off by neighbours internet router etc etc, waste of time now everybody is going wireless

You cold change it for a wifi thermostat. You could then control it when your not there too.

bin any rf units and use a hard wired programmer/stat, it really is that easy to prove its the programmer at fault, rf units can be set off by neighbours internet router etc etc, waste of time now everybody is going wireless

Definitely the way forward. Especially in flats with more and more wireless gear. I've even seen wireless door bells mucking about with the signal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Worcester Condsen. Boiler. Intermitten CH failure. Me and Gas man at witts end in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

M
Hello, We’ve recently moved into a fairly old, fairly big detached house (i.e. fairly draughty, but not too bad by any means) with a fairly new well maintained Worcester combi boiler. We weren’t convinced the heating was working right and then got hit with a £610 energy bill for the first 6...
Replies
Views
MartinPod81
M
I am generally a decent handyman, can usually make 2+2=4 and take care of most things to avoid troubling experts with just the basics, but know also not to bumble around blindly beyond that. We moved house last week and with the glorious hot weather we weren't bothered about the heating, more...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm. This question is for my own house setup. We are really fortunate to have a large house, about 5,000sqft in total over 3 floors. It was built around...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
S
Having a few issues with my combi boiler, its 14 years old now and due to be replaced as we are building extension, but need to get another 10 months out of the combi yet! Was having pressure and lockout issues and the relief vale had activated couple times, expansion tank is fuel of water so I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock