Search the forum,

Discuss What's been going on with the forum then? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dan

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
I wouldn't want to 'test' the attackers so don't post anything about this anywhere public. If you're found to do so we'll just ban your account. It's not worth it.

Now things appear to have settled I feel comfortable letting you know what's being going on and why we've been up and down like a yoyo.

Keep this out of the public areas of the forum and whatnot. As it risks screwing the forum again.

Sunday morning we noticed a massive amount of traffic coming into the network, a few hours on we noticed it was a DDOS attack. Where too many requests are sent to the websites for the server and network to handle so it crashes the websites. Our hosts were able to manage the traffic to a degree while we traced what was going on. And it became apparent that it was thousands if not near 100,000+ botnets (computers being controlled by attackers without the owners knowledge) sending false requests to the forums to crash the server.

This had a knock-on effect on our hosts other customers, and even my hosts ISP in the London Docklands had to shut down some of their own traffic routing systems to stop the traffic.

Monday the attackers changed tactics and used HTTP requests that were left open, so the websites wouldn't resolve them properly. That crashed the forums too.

Tuesday it changed to DNS reflection where they attack the IP address itself and send traffic directly to that.

And today we've switched to an expensive routing service to send traffic through to filter out any nasty stuff. Done this for the main forums, carted all my customers off to other solutions so they're not affected now, and I have closed down a lot of my own websites and forums and things.

It's cost me thousands in losses and extra services and I wouldn't wish this on any of our competitor forums. Really dodgy situation to be put in.

I was expecting a ransom related message but haven't got anything so far. The attack is classed as industrial sabotage and as dozens of other companies we affected, along with our host, their network provider (and their other customers) and their ISP (and their other customers) we've had to get the old SOCA (Serious and Organised Crimes Agency) which is now called NCA (National Crimes Agency) involved who are investigating the attack in case this is part of some bigger issue (like that dodgy RansomWare thing that's going about). We're not too sure who's doing it or why but we've fought them off for now.

At no point were anything to do with personal details at risk. They we're NOT physically hacking us or anything, just sending massive amounts of traffic to us in the form of what took down PayPal and Amazon and VISA (and even SOCA last year).

So it looks like we're okay now. A few people are having DNS / Cache related issues but that'll all calm down in the next 24 hours or so as networks refresh and whatnot.

I wouldn't want to 'test' the attackers so don't post anything about this anywhere public. If you're found to do so we'll just ban your account. It's not worth it.

Last edited:
I must add that at one point they gained access to several servers owned by the same poor sod in the Netherlands and used those for the HTTP attacks. Meanwhile couldn't gain access to our own. So that shows how solid we are. We were literally only open to DDOS attacks, but such things only usually happen to massive firms. So nobody who runs a forum would ever think of protecting against it without needing it as it costs thousands.

Well that might as well have been in Japanese :)

Thanks for the hard work in the background :)

Thanks for even letting us know and hopefully all will be well, long live the forum,,

If anyone who's not in the Arms asks any of you what this is about just tell them it's some technical server schizzle that you don't really understand.

Dan's extremely serious about the banning thing. We've been told there are no exceptions and no second chances.

I don't want to ban any of you, except maybe Leo, and I know the other mods feel the same but if it comes to it, we'll have to.

Not something I really want to have to do. Please help us with this by staying schtum.

as croppie says we don't like banning anyone but on this occasion if anything gets out of the arms we won't hesitate to do the deed. it is very important for the security of the forums that this is adhered to. thank you in advance for being understanding.

Yeah no second warning from me you've seen it said in the original post here. I wrote it twice. And in bold. That's enough for me. I know you've read it. Mention this in the public domain, on or off the forum, and I'll just remove your account, you're not worth the hassle I'm afraid. This nearly cost us the whole network of forums. If it wasn't for the awesome team I have behind the scenes we could have been vulnerable and lost the lot. Or worse.

I'd rather not set a challenge for anybody who has the sort of resources they appear to have.

If anyone who's not in the Arms asks any of you what this is about just tell them it's some technical server schizzle that you don't really understand.

Dan's extremely serious about the banning thing. We've been told there are no exceptions and no second chances.

I don't want to ban any of you, except maybe Leo, and I know the other mods feel the same but if it comes to it, we'll have to.

Not something I really want to have to do. Please help us with this by staying schtum.

Really! I thought I was your favourite.

Wow sounds serious and Ithank you personally for the hard work your doing

I had a forum nothing on this scale or topic and iIwas also atracked I just shut it down, glad things are looking up

Mums the word.

Well done all you guys & girls in the background I bet it been a couple of sleepless nights.

But it has shown me that I can live without the forum !!
Well at least of a few days any road.

Missed the Forums glad you and your behind the scene geeks got it sorted nasty buisness.........welcome back all regards Turnpin:43:

Thanks for all the hard work, much appreciated :clap::clap: Did wonder when I tried logging on and said site wasn't available anymore! .. thought you'd called it a day without letting me know, I'm not paranoid.. honest :)

To be honest, I didn't understand anything in the explanation.
Well done all for bringing the forum back on line:)

So the threads about WB & BG being rubbish really upset someone. Think to avoid any further attacks from WB and BG their initials should be reversed GW and GB !

Thanks for sorting it all out, I wasn't stamping around shaking and swearing I promise..

Well I am glad that was spelt out in English. Not! Didn't understand any thing apart the big bold letters BAN. Cheers for all the hard work

It just goes to show us regular dirty fingernailed pipe monkeys don't have a clue what goes on behind the scenes, all I know is the forum wouldn't load last night but it seems the cast of 'the big bang theory' sorted it out. :computer:

Thanks for your efforts Dan and I'm sorry you've had to take a £££ hit. :annoyed:

Didnt even think it was the forum I thought it was my phone , been walking round house in different rooms trying to get online

Didn't even know the forum was down.

Man, you lost must have been doing your absolute nut in not being able to come on here & bore each other to death with your witty banter! :sleeping:

Well done to Dan & his team for sorting it.

As you were then guys.....

Dan can you send me the all your business details and passwords ( obviously) so I can send you 25000,000NGN (Nigerian dollars ) from my Christian business aid programme.

Dan can you send me the all your business details and passwords ( obviously) so I can send you 25000,000NGN (Nigerian dollars ) from my Christian business aid programme.

Yeah mate you just have to login something for me to securely send them to me, use your usual banking logins to login though mate, it uses the same details.

Thank you for the the explanation Dan. I thought the problem was with my broadband.

Thanks again for the hard work and effort to keep us lot happy.

ok ok, you got me!!
i give in...
it was me all along................

i was just searching under every byte for croppies wallet and forgot to tidy up :(

Just thought i'd been banned..............perhaps we should celebrate with a grand opening of John Cropps wallet!........a nice sedate glass of Merlot please John.

Is normal service resumed?! Thank god for that. Poor old rays profits were falling!

Missed you all!

Lets all meet up Friday in the arms after work and buy Dan the beers - Croppie can be
behind bar with his tutu on - Cheers Dan CHking

Croppie in a tutu , i think im blow drying my hair on friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What's been going on with the forum then? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock