Search the forum,

Discuss What's been going on with the forum then? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck Dan and the double clever people on the team, Looks like its been a grueler.

Have you tried one of them clever electricians? Bet they could sort it.

That'll be a DNS cache issue.

Unfortunately every time we're offline for a bit, if your IPS or network or whatever takes a cache of the site while it's down, sometimes it'll load you that version even when it's actually back online.

Those sorts of things just iron themselves out as new cache versions are taken.

But we have been offline a here and there today since about 5pm
Cheers Dan

i was on it milling around for an hour. felt a bit too far from home and too civilized..

TT any tips?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 70
My guess is it's a DDOS ransom attack, it won't be long before some keyboard warrior is asking for some money to stop/help with these attacks.
Make sure you offer to pay him in cash and we'll all turn up to pay the geeky little ****er what he's asked for - only not in sterling...

Looking into the blocked thing now. We just need to relax the settings a little but am checking on how far we dare to go.

It's obviously a national holiday in the USA today (independence day) so support replies are very slow. I might need to pick this back up again on monday.

Well done dan for getting us back up and running. You deserve a medal. Il get you a drink in the arms later if you have time...

Yup, we've won.

We've been getting attacks off and on and you wouldn't even notice it website-wise now.

I need to reconfigure a few things like image uploading for newbies, email notifications via Amazon SES, and some other things (take them off-site to spread the load), and that's it we're back to normal then.

You might find the odd half hour or 15 minutes downtime if we get a massive attack while we configure the brand new server. My guy has spent 12 hours configuring firewalls and ports and things I didn't know existed until yesterday. But we need to see some attacks to route them and whatnot. So far they've not been strong enough to do anything and we've routed them fine. But if they pull some massive random thing off, it'll just be 10 minutes or so while we sod it off and we'll be back online.

Seems we're okay now though. :)

Last edited:
So is it a targeted thing at your sites or just somebody just trying to invade the world?

No it's targeted right at me mate. Not sure why. Or who.

The problem and the solution is the same whether it's the Chinese government, Anonymous hacking group, or some spotty little pr1ck in his bedroom. So I've given up guessing now and just sorted it out.

I was seriously expecting a ransom demand. But they took my emails out so maybe they couldn't contact me haha (joke, my phone numbers are everywhere).

Thats a bit sh!tty then. Some real saddos out there in the world, shame they dont have something better to do.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest their armpits.

So basically you were on Holliday again on the beach and after partying for so long you lost all your belongings and could not return quicker to uk to press the reset bottom on your fan that's cooling down your computer system !!!!!??? Not good Dan :) lol

Seems a bit odd to be targeted, you annoyed any computer geniuses recently?

No it's targeted right at me mate. Not sure why. Or who.

The problem and the solution is the same whether it's the Chinese government, Anonymous hacking group, or some spotty little pr1ck in his bedroom. So I've given up guessing now and just sorted it out.

I was seriously expecting a ransom demand. But they took my emails out so maybe they couldn't contact me haha (joke, my phone numbers are everywhere).
they are all fighting for freeweeeedooooom :) lol

Email notifications are now back up and running. In fact all emails should now be working fine.

Hey Dan, you've got to be asking yourself "is it worth it"

Never entered my head pal.
Forums are my thing. Not sure I'd feel complete without logging in some forums I own. When I visit other peoples forums it just doesn't feel the same. I'd be really jealous if I sold these forums and kept seeing them when I'm searching for plumbing, electrical or tiling advice.

Never entered my head pal.
Forums are my thing. Not sure I'd feel complete without logging in some forums I own. When I visit other peoples forums it just doesn't feel the same. I'd be really jealous if I sold these forums and kept seeing them when I'm searching for plumbing, electrical or tiling advice.

Here here Dan LONG LIVE YOUR FORUM.

Seems a bit odd to be targeted, you annoyed any computer geniuses recently?

Must have done.

The thing is, I don't have much to do with the runnings of the forums these days. My job is to keep them online and do all the backend stuff (which if you don't ever notice any problems, it's usually because I've worked on them - not that we have none). And obviously arrange advertising etc here and there.

So if somebody is annoyed with a forum, it's probably the result of firstly a bunch of members picking on them, then a moderator banning them, then me ignoring their complaint emails. More-so than me physically annoying somebody.

So what your saying is you're blaming Croppie :wink:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to What's been going on with the forum then? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Optimistic
Hello All, I know that this is a question for a Forum Moderator and probably should be posted in a section about the Forum itself but I was hoping to get some replies from Members about whether this is happening to anyone else: When I logged into the Forum this afternoon and went to look down...
Replies
Views
J
Hi - I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but I'm looking for some advice with regards to a recent (nightmare) new gas boiler install. Our old gas combi boiler needed replacing, so we shopped around and got a deal via BOXT. Our understanding is that BOXT then sub-contract to local...
Replies
Views
Mark Butler
M
You can now subscribe to the forum and browse with no sponsors ads (there will still be a list in the main plumbing forum to show you who is a sponsor). And no Google ads. (They're not active right now but will be). And also show your support by getting a tag next to your name (there is also an...
Replies
Views
There is a drip coming from the ceiling in the living room and down the inside of a shared wall. There is no plumbing upstairs except in the bathroom. No radiator in the room above where the drip is. There is one in the bathroom which hasn't worked for years - the house has no central heating...
Replies
Views
First - an apology for monopolising the forum with all my plumbing questions! I'm hoping this will be my last and I'll move onto something else (like choosing a woodburner, which is the next thing on the to do list)... My situation... We've having a bathroom refit and will have a new bath with...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock