Search the forum,

Discuss WC not flushing away waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

saaf

Morning all.

I have just moved in to a new place with a basement bathroom and have a WC problem I'm hoping someone has seen before and can offer advice on.

The problem I have is that the WC doesn't flush well enough to clear waste (both paper and #2s), requiring a bucket of water to do the trick.

The set up is that the WC has a concealed Thomas Dudley 6l Pushflow (I think) cistern (pneumatic flush design), N&C Olympus toilet and a Grundfos wc-3 macerator. The latter is connected to the WC, shower and basin. Both the cistern and macerator seem to work fine, and the whole setup was new early last year and has had relatively little use (it's a 2nd bathroom).

My best guess is that the problem is that the toilet bowl design isn't suitable for the setup - i.e. the 6l flush is too diffused by the rim design to be effective. Or perhaps it requires a siphon effect that isn't possible with a macerator? Another possibility might be that the macerator impedes the outflow from the WC (although the water level doesn't appear to rise in the bowl).

Any ideas? Have you seen this issue before?

If it is likely to be the bowl, can anyone offer recommendations on WC makes to look out for that work better with the combination of 6l flush and macerator? I might add the WC is floor mounted and flush to the wall, with cistern and macerator behind.

Many thanks.

this is the price you pay for low water consumption personally i think 6l is not enough to flush away big jobs very few of these seem to work

Thanks Steve. Is it your experience that this issue is more problematic with macerators?

My view is that unless the system always works first time the smaller cistern is a false economy. E.g. our other WC had a 'hippo' device in the cistern that meant 8/10 times a second flush was required, with the result that it probably used 30% more water than without the hippo.

Grateful for other views/insights.

Cheers.

i've seen pans scaled up so could not flush properly and only solution was to change.

In my case the pan is pretty much in 'as new' condition, so I am confident that is not the issue.

the fact it works when you flush using the bucket seems to indicate that 6l is not enough
I am not familiar with your model of pan but I have had to change a couple of pans with the same problem because the opening in the base of the pan is too wide try and have a look
at your plumbers merchants stock to see if you can see any pans with smaller openings also double check the level in your w.c cistern:eek:regards turnpin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to WC not flushing away waste in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock