Discuss Vertical drops for waste pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sgrech

The last few weeks have been nightmare. I won't bore with all of the details as the story in long.
Basically though we (a cowboy builder) has constructed an ensuite in our loft and left the pipe work in a mess. We are now trying to correct. We have sort of decided to lose the toilet as a mascerator is required. Obviously the we want the basin / shower otherwise the ensuite is going to become a walkin wardrobe!

Anyway we are having problem connecting to the main stack on the same level as the ensuite so instead we have a vertical (approx 2m) drop down in the waste pipe to the main bathroom below before it exits to the main soil stack. Building regs saw this set-up a few weeks back and made no comment about the vertical drop but did comment on other things. Spoke to a different inspector about something related and he said we can't have such a large vertical drop.

The plumber we had over the day raised no issue over the vertical drop. I am being told different things by different people and I am now very frustrated indeed and wonder whether we will ever have an ensuite? :-(

Comment please??

Thanks Simon

Could we have some pics of the current set up please.

I will try and draw a picture later and then post it on the thread. However the question is quite straight forward i think can a basin / shower waste drain pipe have a vertical fall of 2 mtrs?

Thanks
Simon

No probs with a 2m drop, inspector is talking nonsense. Might want 2x 45° bends at the bottom.

No probs with a 2m drop, inspector is talking nonsense. Might want 2x 45° bends at the bottom.

Well it is certainly strange how one inspector said nothing at all and the other said it is total no no??

Confused.com

I don't really want to call him again and say he is talking carp!

More to it than just vertical drop, the waste is pumped, is it not ? if this connects to a common waste on the floor below will this be affected ? Also has the pumped waste got a AAA valve (Durgo) valve fitted before it drops to stop siphonage of the pump.

More to it than just vertical drop, the waste is pumped, is it not ? if this connects to a common waste on the floor below will this be affected ? Also has the pumped waste got a AAA valve (Durgo) valve fitted before it drops to stop siphonage of the pump.

Nope the waste is not pumped.

Nope the waste is not pumped.
Sorry did not read OP correctly.
A vertical waste pipe which has no vent or other protection would cause the traps seals to be lost & therefore would not comply with Part H of the Building Regs.

Last edited:
Sorry did not read OP correctly.
A vertical waste pipe which is had no vent or other protection would cause the traps to be lost & therefore would not comply with Part H of the Building Regs.

Sorry if it is basic / stupid question, but it is there a solution that would vent / protection solution for an non-pumped waste drain that would make the pipeword compliant.

Otherwise we either will have to use a macerator to pump out the waste :-( or try to connect to the main soil which will be easier said than done as there is very little space indeed between the stack and the roof eves to connect to a boss strap.

use hepvo mechanical traps, cant lose the water in the trap as there is none to lose

use hepvo mechanical traps, cant lose the water in the trap as there is none to lose
You may need one of these not only on the upstairs waste but also the lower one/s as trap seals on this floor could also be lost through induced siphonage depending on where the waste connects to it.

I will try and draw a picture later and then post it on the thread. However the question is quite straight forward i think can a basin / shower waste drain pipe have a vertical fall of 2 mtrs?

Thanks
Simon

Don't worry about it, got the general gist, as the others have said the 2 meter drop should be fine as long as you have the anti vac traps in place. The hepvo mechanical is probably the best solution and should keep building inspector on side.

I disagree to a certain extent. At the bottom of the vertical drops, make sure you have a swept bend or 2 45's. Otherwise, the impact of waste products on a 90 elbow can cause water to run away, while the gunky soap, conditioners and hair etc, don't. So just be wary of where the pipes are, if they're accessible and whether or not they can be demounted.

Thanks for all your comments, they have been very helpful and give me hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Vertical drops for waste pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, We're in the process of upgrading 2 bathrooms in our house: the ensuite and the family bathroom. These adjoin one another. The ensuite is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro. Rural property in France Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction...
Replies
Views
Need some advice, neighbors sewer drain keeps blocking up every few months. My wife and I have always chipped in with the other three neighbors...
Replies
Views
Hi All I found this forum quite by chance this afternoon whilst looking for an answer to a plumbing question that I have following a rebuild of...
Replies
Views
Hi, As per title we have a regular smell from the shower trap. Clean the trap twice a week, had a cleaning rod down the shower waste pipe and no...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock