Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on drain layout - single storey French property in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, grateful for your expertise on the following. DIYer, not pro.

Rural property in France

Single storey. Septic tank. Late 80s construction with concrete slab subfloor. All of the waste pipes run in the concrete, and exit the property at the chamber as pictured, just outside the building. The longest run is approximately 8m, with a drop of maybe 80cm. The chamber then drains with one pipe to the septic tank, approx 10m.

The two main waste pipes are 100mm diameter (4in), exit in parallel as pictured. My diagram hopefully demonstrates the right one (as seen from the chamber) drains the toilet only and is vented via the stack to the right, as pictured. This vents externally through the loft and roof. The left one drains the bathroom sink, bidet, and also an existing shower (now removed). Despite only collecting 40mm waste from sink/bidet/shower, it is 100mm diam at its full length. As far as I can tell, it is not vented at any part. Additionally there doesn't seem to be any traps at each fixture.

My plan is to install a new toilet and a new shower as pictured, and tie it into the left 100mm waste pipe - green pipework is planned.

In my head, having a large open inspection chamber at almost the same height as the collecting system, means that gases (from the tank) aren't particularly likely to be entrained to the pipework. Additionally, the single storey nature means that it is less likely to have siphons pulled. Might be completely wrong on this.

My questions are:

1. Is it best to connect the left 100mm waste to the existing vent stack?
  2. Assuming there are traps present on all fixtures, would an air admittance valve be a suitable alternative?
  3. Is there anything else you strongly advise?
Many thanks in advance
DE2uEHW - Imgur.png
z7qAkza - Imgur.jpg
9yBwNW0 - Imgur.jpg

Hi Welcome!

Could anyone offer their advice?

Reply to Advice on drain layout - single storey French property in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock