Search the forum,

Discuss Toilet pan connector leak - non-standard spigot size? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

pulck

First-time poster and plumbing ignoramus, so please be kind....

I have a leaking toilet pan connector. The leak started when there was an old Multikwik connected.

I called a plumber and he tried a few different connectors and they all leaked. He said the spigot coming out of the toilet pan looks smaller than the standard diameter.

He eventually contained the leak by using putty around the spigot, but said it is only a temporary fix. He said the only permanent solution is to buy a completely new toilet suite so that I get the standard-sized spigot and everything connects properly.

Can this possibly be right? I've already spent £200 on trying to get the connector right, now I'm looking at several hundred pounds more, all to fix a tiny leak on the connector.

All suggestions very welcome.

The plumber might well be right. Do you have any details of the currently installed toilet??? Are there any brandings or markings on it ??? If it's a Chinese imports then there is every possibility that it could be poorly moulded or made to different specifications entirely

Thanks for the reply.

I can't see any markings, only a sticker (see attached image).

toilet pan sticker.jpg

It says "A Beyaz" on it, which doesn't turn up anything on the internet on a quick search. I'll keep looking.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20150828_164454733.jpg
    IMG_20150828_164454733.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 89
It says "A Beyaz" on it, which doesn't turn up anything on the internet on a quick search. I'll keep looking.

Any ideas?

It did for me:

Beyaz translates from Turkish as white.

Sounds like you've got a poorly made toilet, the modern toilets you get now are made in batches of say 100 and when a merchant buys 100 they only pay for 80 as the other 20 are for the ones that are faulty damaged or broken as its not worth the cost of replacing them and theres no quality control

Sounds like you've got a poorly made toilet, the modern toilets you get now are made in batches of say 100 and when a merchant buys 100 they only pay for 80 as the other 20 are for the ones that are faulty damaged or broken as its not worth the cost of replacing them and theres no quality control

Mate, you really need to change your merchant! :)

Yep, one of my customers got a WC pan from the BATHSTORE. The pan outlet was out of shape, well out of shape, almost like an egg. It had to go back.

I wasn’t quick enough to tell them – do not shop at the BATHSTORE. Also, there was an issue with a bath and a wash basin being out shape and a British Standard bath trap just wouldn’t fit the bath waste supplied by BATHSTORE. A BATHSTORE geezer on the phone was telling me to force it! Mad! It was 3mm out! Had to get the BS one. Oh well…

Last edited:
I wasn't told that in my local merchant, but one where the customer had supplied there own suite from, I've never been back

There are a couple of dealers who will work on that basis (effectively selling 2nds) but not usually at a reputable outlet.

Coming back to the OP, I am surprised that if it sealed once, it can't be persuaded to seal again. But then, maybe thats why I drive a desk, and not a van.

maybe a mcalpine flexi connector with the hose clamp fixing will work. if the china is round of course.

Thanks for the comments.

The plumber said he tried a McAlpine connector and said they usually lock on fine, so that could be the one mentioned by AWheating.

Are there any other options? Can't believe I might have to get a new toilet suite because of such a tiny problem!

mcalpine make tons of different pan connectors. checkout there website. they prob sell a smaller sized one.

Thanks, AWheating.

Looking on the McAlpine website, I see:

- 4"/110mm Flexible WC Connector for Back to Wall WC Pan (Code: WC-F21R)

(Sorry, I'm not allowed to post URLs as a new member.) Is that the sort of thing that you're talking about? I very much doubt if my plumber actually tried this - I will check with him.

Is it something I could try out myself (DIYer) or will I need to get him back in?

Thanks, AWheating.

Looking on the McAlpine website, I see:

- 4"/110mm Flexible WC Connector for Back to Wall WC Pan (Code: WC-F21R)

(Sorry, I'm not allowed to post URLs as a new member.) Is that the sort of thing that you're talking about? I very much doubt if my plumber actually tried this - I will check with him.

Is it something I could try out myself (DIYer) or will I need to get him back in?

McAlpine WC-F21R flexible wc connnector back to wall 110mm

that looks like it might fit depending on space behind/where the outlet is

There's plenty of space behind. The pipe goes through a 90 degree bend before it connects to a cast iron outlet in the wall. But space is not an issue.

Should I give it a go?

There's plenty of space behind. The pipe goes through a 90 degree bend before it connects to a cast iron outlet in the wall. But space is not an issue.

Should I give it a go?

you can do you dont have anything to loose other than to get a new toilet

There are pan connectors that are a larger fit for older toilets. However I am guessing it is a connector normally suitable for modern pans. Maybe just your pan spigot is malformed.
I have actually use Tec 7 when fitting or replacing some.
I assume your pan connector is properly in line with spigot? They need to be very straight on or they are strained and tend to open at one side

Actually, the cast iron spigot in the wall is a few inches lower than the pan connector. Does this matter when you're using a flexible connector?

Actually, the cast iron spigot in the wall is a few inches lower than the pan connector. Does this matter when you're using a flexible connector?

no it only matters if the outlet is 90 degrees as you need space for the bend if you get me ???

Thanks. Yes, I understand that. I think there's space for the 90 degree bend. The current flexible connector is 300-700mm, so if anything I'm going to need to extend the Mcalpine connector.

Would anyone know if this would attach properly to the connector?

- 4"/110mm Flexible Extension for WC Connectors (Code: EXTA-F)

(Again apologies, I cannot post links.)

From the McAlpine website description ("Suits all McAlpine Rigid and MACFIT WC Connectors") it's not clear if this would work with their flexible connector.

In all honesty mate it might be a lot easier for you to post a picture on here just so we get a clearer idea of what it is you're trying to achieve

Sure. Do these photos help:

IMG_20150829_131840332.jpg
IMG_20150829_131826965.jpg

The current flexible connector is 300-700mm, that's why I think I need to extend the McAlpine one (150-310mm).

Looks like too much side pull creates unwanted pressure on the pan connector seal and it leaks.

Will the hose clamp sort this out? Or is there a better solution?

If you are trying to keep it simple try the latest, new pan connector from McAlpine. It's WC-CON8F18-S-BTW.

mcalpine-wc-con8f-s-btw-90-degree-long-bend-3-1-2-flexible-wc-connector-for-back-to-wall-pan-89733-p.jpg

97-107mm Inlet - 3 1/2"/110mm Outlet
Closed 230mm
Extended 480mm

OK, it doesn’t look pretty but if you are not spending money on moving the 4” pipe going through the wall into the corner and maybe boxing the lot later, you have to leave with what you've got. It’s your call.

Last edited:
Probably is the spigot, a mate of mine had a non stop problem with his toilet doing the same, I looked at it for him and the spigot out of round so connector wasn't getting a good enough seal on it. I stripped it all down for him and used some really strong water resistant sealant. Not ideal but it's done the job and doesn't look a mess. Not sure the same will work for you though if the spigot diameter is odd altogether.

Won't the hose clip sort that out?

I reckon it should, depending on how soft the rubber pipe is under the clip. If the head on the jubilee clip is Hexagon then you might need a socket rather than a screwdriver if the pan spigot if is badly out of round, Just tighten it bit by bit until the leak stops and go gentle at the other end because it`s two soft materials there!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Toilet pan connector leak - non-standard spigot size? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock