Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss T4TS Course..If your on it get in touch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

whitenoise

Hi Everyone IM Whitenoise!

Im on the T4TS course.

I started a few months ago and now I've managed to get to Mod 10, I'm really enjoying the course struggling a tiny bit with all the reading lol I'm sure I recall the salesman telling me its reading as well as hands on! but so far no hands on just computer based scenarios which aint too bad but having a go at the real thing would be more ideal but Hey ho slowly slowly catchie monkey, I'll just follow how the coutrse is laid out and see if it works, Obvioulsy I'm really hoping to pass the course in time, I'm taking my time but I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on very soon I keep wanting to pop to B&Q to get some pipes and play around, I was hoping to meet anyone else who is also on the course! see how your getting on and maybe just have a general chat about the grand world of plumbing lolol.

If you read this but dont get in touch hope all goes well and you pass your course are successful.

Regards

Whitenoise

Last edited by a moderator:
what module are you on now?? i have just started 9 and had a flick though the TMA questions they are pretty easy and Self explanatory. i also noticets that the book has its own EXAM also do we do that on our own or though the COURES???

and whens the pratical do we phone in advance and book it or wait untill they say?

I'm at the end of the NVQ/level 2.
You have to wait until T4T contact you to arrange the practical training(& good luck with that!) Also don't forget to ask via letter including receipts for up to £300 back for accommodation/costs for training!

sorry but i find it amamzing that people have signed up for courses with computer generated images and limited practical
what are you going to do in the real world when you cant skip a frame??

at the moment i am also looking for practical work as well as theory, i agree with you doing the theory work isn't as good as the hands on approach. but when u have limited time in a day to be able to work with a plumber full time it would end up been yrs before you even understand half the stuff that's going on. at least with the work we are doing now i can keep referring bk to my theory work and when i hear back from a company about my work experience i will re-enforce my knowledge i have already.

i already have some carpentry experience when i was working in Canada for a Yr so i no that just theory doesn't make you a good plumber but understanding what and how to put something together is a step in the right direction.

I've managed to get to Mod 10, I'm really enjoying the course struggling a tiny bit with all the reading lol I'm sure I recall the salesman telling me its reading as well as hands on! but so far no hands on just computer based scenario.

I thought there's a practical after Mod 6 I'm on 3 at the moment.

hey all, just finished mod 14 its well easy after mod 11. got my practical papers come though so i will be filling them out soon.
mod 12 as well is a diddle.

Hey I am on Mod 5 at the moment. I think i have slowed down a bit with my studies.....do you think one should just concentrate on the study material provided whilst on this course or should one continue studies on Water Regulation and other?

What do you think?
Transvia

I think you should all nip to BnQ and buy a bundle of half inch, a bending machine some fittings and a bag of clips, a half inch pipeslice and a tape. About 100 quids worth. (small change compared to what you are paying to "learn")
Screw the clips to the shed or garage or bedroom wall in any order/shape you like and learn how to fit pipes to the clips. You don't need to wait to be told to do that. My 11 year old granddaughter can do it (with a bit supervision).

tamz,

I was already planning to take your advice before you even said it, done bending before but with different theories that's on our course work and can't be bothered to wait for practicals. Been getting some advice on here about benders as it will be an investment.
Got to practice my soldering too.

I don't know why I thought there's a practical after mod 6, looked through programme and clearly shows it after mod 12, another 2 later on then 2 after mod 32.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

I am on th T4TS course and have just finished module 24 waiting to go on week 3 and 4 of practicals. Dont worry about the hands on as this is intense for the week's practicals. Where are you going to - Leeds or Southampton? Think the course is great however couple of things - quite difficult to get some proper work out there as (a) its a fast track course and (b) plumbers are a bit off put that in a couple of years you will be there competition but stick with it and all the hard work will be evident. Just remember be passionate and make sure every job you do is to the best of your ability - then it more of an hobby than a job. Also use the course as a stepping stone to other areas and make sure you use the information given as this will introduce you to web site, companies, info about areas in the plumbing world

Good luck and keep us up to date

J

There are a dozen different methods to bend pipe accurately. Use whichever one you can get your head round best. Practice until you can do it without thinking. When you have used the copper up take it to the scrap and get around £25 towards the next lot.
Soldering is easy but soldering neatly in any situation without setting the house on fire is not. Practice and experience is the only way to learn.
In a practical classroom situation you learn the basics in a safe controlled environment. It is up to you to perfect it. The real world is a million miles away from a classroom.

Jamie
When you are outside on a February morning, up to your rse in muck, soaked through in the sleet and snow, can't feel your fingers or your feet and about crying with the pain, the idea of it being a hobby wears off quickly :D

Good luck.

I don’t profess to know it all, I'm fully aware I still have a very long way to go yet and you never stop learning on my chosen path but since I started my studies in plumbing with T4TS the valuable practical knowledge I‘ve gained from the plumbing tutors at ATL in Southampton, combined with the many hours of my head in the books, has already been put into use. So far to date, I’ve fitted several complete bathroom suites, fixed leaking w/c’s and replaced flapper valves and syphons on some that didn’t flush. Fixed leaking TRV's on radiators, replaced a run of leaking compression fittings feeding mains water to a shower, with soldered end-feed capillary joints and machine bent copper pipe, all secured to the tiled wall with clips, following the building regulations recommendations like it should of been when installed in the first place. I’ve installed kitchen work top and sinks, plumbed in mixer taps, waste pipes and plumbed in both dishwashers and washing machines. I’ve repaired Mira exposed valve mixer showers, stopped one from dripping, another from gushing, both by obtaining and fitting new parts from online suppliers. I’ve drained and flushed central heating systems, using sludge remover and inhibitor additives throughout and even fit MagnaClean heating filters. I’ve decommissioned radiators, replaced inadequately small radiators with larger ones and altered the pipe work accordingly to accommodate them, I've repaired water damaged walls behind leaking bath/showers and I now have experience of tiling small bathrooms.

Keep at it! We'll all get there in the end.

Yhat is unbelievable what you have achieved - has all this work come from word of mouth - friends and relatives or advertisement - if so how please let us know

I've been scouring the forums all day trying to gauge opinion on the best way to train and get into the plumbing industry. Obviously hands on experience is the best way to learn anything, so does anyone with a few years experience have any advice to someone trying to get into the industry about the best route to take? I see that the distance learning option is taking a beating but often the people who end up doing it don't have another option due to other commitments. So how should we go about getting into the industry and getting the important and valuable experience we desperately need?

Hi there, wel just read your thread, Well its now over three months since you wrote about your t4t course, just how's it going right now in time for you..??

hey, i dont no weather you were asking the whole thread but i will respond anyways.

i am enjoying it at the mo. still waiting on my practical though on mod 22.

i am working along side another plumber also which is helping be but what i have learned out the book in the real life situations.

my aim is still to work in Canada so as soon as i pass and get a job full time i am always open to more experience on the field.
stu

hi Charlie251006 here

i have been looking into taking this plumbing course and i was wondering if you guys have any good feedback for me, and i was wondering if someone could tell me the exact qualifications you recieve by the end of it?

I completed the course in March this year and I can honestly say I enjoyed every minute of it. I did the six weeks practical (split 3 x 2 weeks) in Leeds. The tutors are excellent, especially Neil and the whole organisation has been restructured for the better this year. The venue in Leeds is now owned by trade4trade skills which means they have control of how things are taught. The back-up from the tutors is excellent as they are still offering me advice 6 months on. If I'm stuck I just call them and they help! I had the good fortune of working with a plumber while studying which helps. Another plus is that they run monthly cash competitions which I won once and came second on another occasion. They also run a major Christmas competition for a grand and I won that. I went on to study the NVQ level 2 and I'm now studying the Gas Foundation course. The qualifications I came out with were as follows: Tech certificate in domestic plumbing Level 2, NVQ in domestic plumbing Level 2, Water regs certificate and Energy Efficiency Level 3. I'm aware that T4TS's have come in for some stick in the past but my experience was brilliant. Listen to the salesman, ask questions, work hard, don't be tempted to take shortcuts and there's no reason why you wont enjoy learning too. BTW, Leeds, Wakefield and surrounding towns are brilliant places to stay if you have to.

hi all im doing a course with t4ts im on module 11 hopeing to go to leeds early nxt year for my first 2 weeks how does the accomodation work as they said they pay for it and how soon do u go for practicals after theve been in touch with the arrangments the course it mint by the way ive already gaing loads of knowledge and done a bit of plumbing round the house and for friends

hi all with this being a 2 year course its gonna take me 3 years to pay for it can i still do it over the 3 years as im in it for the long haul and desperate to be a plumber or would it seem that if after 2 years ive not completed it they will cut me off any feed back would be great thx all

hi all doing thr T4TS coures

I started the coures about 2 months ago. just started to do the scenario 3, an a bit stuck on the soundness checks can anyone help

im also stuck on the soundness test though u have 2 check all ur valves and appliances i.e.taps ball valves for leaks and and then do ur pressure test

Iin the book Page 183 it soundness teat = Visual inspection, test for leakes, pressure test and final checks.
dont know how to do the pressure test! do u have any ideas

under the sink ull see the washer pipes disconnect them then connect the pressure test turn valve on then turn it off and reconnect washer pipes

HIYA! im so glad you all seem to be enjoying it. just started on mine and am really worried about all the bad thing's i have heard about this course. Saw it advertised on TV so decided to look into it. Signed up now i found a lot of bad press about it. Have decided to persevere with it and get practical experiance while i do the course so by the time i have finished the course i hope to have enough practical experiance to be able to get a job. good luck to all!

good luck to u i read all that stuff but it seems to me that the only bad press comes from those who started but dnt want to see it through

I heard the same.

However, for a distance learning college, they are really good. I've made it through the first two week practical and am submitting modules 13 - 24 now. (I've done the work, it just takes time to keep getting the code to access the TMA on the CD).

The first two weeks helped me get confidence with the practical side, it was quite intensive and I enjoyed it all. I attended the new centre in Hartlebury near Kidderminster. The centre was really well equipped, they have a canteen and free internet access on breaks. The tools and bays are neat and new. The tutors spent loads of time asking if you neeed any help and were always around. If you ever asked for help, you get full-on help, felt good to have that level of tutoring.

I had already done week 1 and 2 in Southampton last year, which was for the 'foundation level'. Unfortunately this was for the 6128 which became redundant, so when I upgraded to the intermediate tech cert 6129 level 2, I had to retake the week 2 this year. (I did still get the 6022 and 6032 C&G from last year plus the extra practice).

Southampton was good too, but not as good as Hartlebury.

I'm looking forward to taking my next two weeks in the next few months.

The only problems I've had with this course is the booking of the practical. I was quite lucky this time to get a booking for only 1.5 months in the future (October 4th) after I had completed module 12. The thing was, if I couldn't have made that week, I would have had to wait at least until February / April for a space.

They seem totally booked up, so it extends the time it takes to finish. It's compounded by the fact that you can't book it until the modules are completed. So there's a gap in learning.

Apart from that, the study books are good. I complimented mine by buying the Heinemanns Plumbing NVQ level 2 study book which is excellent for cross reference. I woudl highly recommend it, it's about £20 on Amazon.co.uk

I read the scare stories too, but I haven't really seen any evidence of it.

My biggest worry which does seem to be aparent is the lack of placements out there. People with better qualifications (full NVQ 2/3 + Gas Safe [ACS] + Part P) are struggling to get placements so how can I expect to get work when I finish my lowly tech cert 6129?

It seems the only way in to the industry is to buckle up and get self-employed. It sounds exciting to me and I think I'd be ok, there's just the feeling that to learn alongside someone would really be the best. I wouldn't mind shadowing someone for no pay, as long as I could learn about the 'real' work that happens in the real world. The troubleshooting and small tricks can only be picked up this way.

I've already written to local plumbers / contractors in my area, but I was deafened by silence. I called too, but most of the time I was told politely 'no' (even for working for free).

One of the students mentioned that his course type (full / advanced or something) includes getting placements with a company in the price. I suggest that it's worth it if you can get a guranteed placement, even for an extra thousand pounds or whatever. I think the benefit will be immense. Plus the reduced stress of trying to find someone to take you on.

Also, for getting money back after the practical -

I asked last year and they will refund £30 per day of expenses, if you live more than 30 miles away from the centre.

To get the money you will need to send all receipts / invoices/ tickets or whatever and a written letter to the admin of T4TS. They only process the requests at the beginning of each month, after which you'll get your money in about 2 weeks. So if you sent your receipts on the 5th November, you should get your money back by 19th December.

I hope this helps.

By the way, good luck to everyone on the course.

I would like to hear about other people's experiences and what hurdles they come across once finished.

hi all doing thr T4TS coures

I started the coures about 2 months ago. just started to do the scenario 3, an a bit stuck on the soundness checks can anyone help

underneath the sinh near the hot and cold pipe for the washing machine. you pressure check.turn tap on,check again,turn off,check again. hope this helped

TO ALL ON THESE TYPE OF COURSES. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS COULD YOU READ A BOOK ABOUT HOW TO DRIVE A CAR AND ONCE READ GO OUT AND DRIVE.....ERR NO, SO WHY DO YOU THINK YOU CAN READ BOOKS THEN GO WORK AS A PLUMBER AND KNOW WHAT TO DO, TO A GOOD STANDARD AT MINIMUM. :confused::confused:

TO ALL ON THESE TYPE OF COURSES. ALL I HAVE TO SAY IS COULD YOU READ A BOOK ABOUT HOW TO DRIVE A CAR AND ONCE READ GO OUT AND DRIVE.....ERR NO, SO WHY DO YOU THINK YOU CAN READ BOOKS THEN GO WORK AS A PLUMBER AND KNOW WHAT TO DO, TO A GOOD STANDARD AT MINIMUM. :confused::confused:

Of course you would't be able to jump into a car and drive after reading a book about how to drive, that is why you have to pass the practical first. Do you know that you can learn how to drive in a week if you go on a intensive course? Imagine that. We are also going to be checked on our standard along the way, I believe with good practice we can also become good plumbers. Don't knock people down because of the path they chose we are only taking advantage of this opportunity of remote training as some of us can't afford to go to college whilst olding a job to provide for the family.

I've started T4TS course C & G 6129 Level 2 & 3 7 months ago and I'm enjoying it. I know I can't just walk into a job once I finished, that is why I am now doin'g some voluntary work once a week with my local plumber. When I finish my course I'm looking to go down the sole trader route to start with. It's not going to be easy but I will give it a good go. GOOD LUCK EVERY ONE!

I've

I totally understand what your saying but i was going on a similar course to this one and it was costing the same as another course i seen that was all practical basically. plus this place guranteed a work placement in your local area. all im saying is to ppl thinking of joining these courses look around first. i did research for over a year before i selected a company called brookhouse training. look em up brookhousetraining.com but goodluck to anyone who chooses this type of learning i dont knock you at all but i just think theres better options if you just dont rush in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to T4TS Course..If your on it get in touch in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock