Discuss Strangest vibrating noise from roof water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brainii

Ok, so here's my situation. I have a cold water tank stored on a 2m high tower, which is on top of my roof of my 2 storey house.
The cold water tank has an "in" pipe, coming from the city supply which fills it up.
This has been fine for the past few years (house and all plumbing stuff is about 7 years old), but for the last 2 months or so, SOMETIMES, when we use cold water and the water tank fills up, the "in" pipe vibrates (lasts max a few minutes), which then bangs slightly on the roof, which we can hear inside the house. I've had this kind of banging before in a different house, (when I used to have a pressure unit), and it actually loosened/cracked the pipe joints and I had water leaks. The solution then was to put wood planks on the roof and secure the pipe to them. However I can't do this now as the pipe goes 2m up in the water tank, and there is nothing to secure it to, it just hangs down from the tank to the roof, and it's already secured on wood on the roof..

The keyword here is SOMETIMES. The vibrating mostly happens between 12pm-5pm. I live in Cyprus so it's really hot during those times, I don't know if this somehow increases the pressure or what.. However, RARELY it happens at other times too, such as later in the evening around 9-10pm..

The city's water pressure is fine (not low or high). It's not water hammer. Could it be that the ballcock in the tank somehow failed after only 7 years???

Hi brainii .. like mentioned already its the rubber diaphragm inside the inlet (ballcock) thats worn. So you will eitherget away with fitting a new 20p washer or depending on state of inlet valve u may need a new one. 9 out of 10 you get away with just the washer. But the inlet assembly is only under a tenner.

Great, I'll check it out over the next few days, when I find the time.
Even though I'm pretty handy, I've never done plumbing before.
I suppose I shut off the city's water supply, undo a nut, remove the washer and clean or replace it, then do the opposites?
Will I need to empty the water tank of it's water???
If so, I'd rather shut the mains supply a few days ahead so that we use rather than waste the water, it's a 500l tank and Cyprus has had a very dry season this past couple of years..
Thanks

the guy down at the local hardware store suggested that the city's pressure might be too high and that I would need a pressure reducer, but I know it's not the case, we have a house in a different area where the pressure is really high and as you turn on te faucet u can tell..

I'm going to try to secure the inlet pipe better in the next few days, and if that doesn't work replace the washer. If that doesn't work still, I will replace the whole ballcock mechanism (only 10 Euro or so).
thanks for the assist

turn water off, open kitchen tap (cold), go up, replace, turn water on, maximum of 30 minute job

jase 158 why open kitchen tap? That would waste water as long as I'm replacing..

bit confused by comment but this will drain the pipe and prevent it going on your attic floor and creating a brown patch on your ceiling and costing you money to fix it!! only wastes about a litre of water at most

ahh, I see, this won't be a problem, my tank is on the actual roof, outside the house, there's no attic..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Strangest vibrating noise from roof water tank in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Back