Discuss Spring water eating copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subby

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I ve just been to a job at a farmhouse up on top of a mountain.
The house is plumbed out with JG speedfit and the customer told me that the house has been plumbed out with plastic as the water feeding the property is not mains supply but fed from a spring, and the water corrodes the copper!
Has anyone ever heard of this or has my customer been spun a yarn?

Hi Subby, Your customer has not been spun a yarn. I also live in a house supplied by spring water. Dependant on rainfall amounts etc the acidity of the water varies over the year. As it is filtered through the ground and the ground is peat the acidity of the water can increase to levels that do strip the copper from the inside of the pipes. As copper is alot thinner now than it was years ago this stripping can happen quite quickly, say 5 years. I have a PH filter which resolves this problem. The only problem with speedfit as a solution is mice. It is quite easy to identify blue copper deposits in white shower trays or basins.

Hope that helps

I came across something similar in a big house fed from a private supply a couple of years ago - see this thread

Chris Watkins suggested something called "Blue Water corrosion".

+1 thats why you see some in mapress stainless steel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Spring water eating copper in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

R
I just had installed a Navien NPE-2 with built in recirculator pump. I have a dedicated return line. The check valve for the recirc is built into...
Replies
Views
Rogelio
R
We have a utility room with a washing machine but no sink. Wife wants sink. There is room to fit one and the waste will connect to wahing machine...
Replies
Views
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Back