Search the forum,

Discuss Shower is lukewarm - need to reduce cold water pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cronshd

Hi - can you help?

We have 2 Crosswater Logic 1500 showers, fed by an Ideal+ 40 Combi boiler.

These were newly installed 2 years ago - all fine.

We had mains leak a few months ago - sometime after this was repaired, the en suite shower would start off hot then go lukewarm even when set to 100% hot.

Bought a new cartridge, filter, valve etc from Crosswater and this was fitted last Friday - and all seemed ok. Today though - it is back to lukewarm.

The original cartridge has been sent to Crosswater for their engineers to check if there was a fault (I suspect not).

Now the other shower has also gone lukewarm as well.

When I originally raised this problem Crosswater, they came back with this:

There are a few potential causes for the issue which you're experiencing, these are as follows:

Firstly, there might be some debris caught inside the thermostatic cartridge, which is causing the mixing element to not work correctly. Removing the cartridge and soaking it in a 50/50 mixture of water and vinegar for an hour will usually resolve. If a replacement cartridge is required, then it is part code SC50-T20 and priced at £56.99 + VAT and carriage.

Secondly, if one of the non-return valves isn't opening correctly, it can affect the temperature regulation and even cause the valve to shut down. When the valve is first switched on, the burst of pressure might be enough to open the hot non-return valve fully, but it might start closing a little afterwards - which will restrict the amount of hot water going in to the valve. Removing the non-return valves and cleaning off any debris or residue should allow them to function correctly.

Thirdly, the valves require reasonable balanced hot and cold water pressures in order to regulate temperature properly. If the cold water pressure from the mains supply is higher than the hot water output of the boiler, then the cold water will overpower the hot water. Though this cause is probably less likely than the above two, as it should affect your other Crosswater valve too.

So, as we have done 1 & 2 above for the en suite shower, I can only guess it is the hot-cold water balance.

How does my plumber fix this? Is it a straightforward job?

Any ideas/comments/thoughts greatly appreciated!

Thanks, D

As your hot water is from the combi ie fed from the mains it should be reasonably balanced with the cold.
crud does sound like the most likely following the repair.
possibly the heat changer in the boiler has also suffered causing a loss of flow to hot water,
have you noticed any less flow at the taps for hot water?

Ideal logic+ 40? Is it a vogue or a 35kw logic? Data badge on bottom of boiler? Turn heating down to low turn hot down to low. Hold reset until installer mode flashes up. Turn on bath hot tap on full, turn water temp to max on boiler record DHW temp and flow rate.

Ideal logic+ 40? Is it a vogue or a 35kw logic? Data badge on bottom of boiler? Turn heating down to low turn hot down to low. Hold reset until installer mode flashes up. Turn on bath hot

Thanks for your replies.

I just discovered that the water from bath taps also goes lukewarm (after starting out hot). Meanwhile the taps in the kitchen and bathroom sink are scorchio hot.

I am guessing now that it is something with the boiler - but I don't understand why some taps deliver piping hot water and the bath/showers only lukewarm?

I intend to call British Gas tomorrow - is that my best bet?

I will check the boiler details again tomorrow.

Many thanks again!

Flow pressure switch (DPV), or "under gassed"me thinks.. call British Gas. A two year old boiler is still virtually still brand new unless it's used commercially unkindly.

And the admins if we're not going to be really careful. I'm not gas safe engineer or registered, but be careful of our future posts on gas safety boiler issues here lads.. I'm off for another threading now..

Ok the British Gas engineer has just left after about 3 hours. He performed a very comprehensive set of tests on flow rates and temperatures versus the spec. for the Ideal Logic v35+ boiler.

The primary and secondary heat exchangers were fine. Then......he looked at one final thing: the diverter valve in the boiler. And that was the problem - the spindle was not working properly - messed up with some sludge? Anyway it is all working fine now!

The engineer was highly competent and very experienced, so I am happy with the service!

Great stuff. Surprised he didn't check that first but the outcome is the same. I presume you weren't charged..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Shower is lukewarm - need to reduce cold water pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Looking for any ideas to help. I've a Heatrae Sadia Hot Water tank, heated through Oil fired boiler (working fine). A week ago I reset the air gap as I was having dripping from the pressure relief valve. Since then I've lost a lot of pressure from the hot water feed to my shower. The rest of...
Replies
Views
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated house (4 bathrooms is tragic). Current set up is: A hot/cold mixer in the main ensuite which is ok as long as you don't run anything else. One electric...
Replies
Views
T
Please advise me. I am a disabled pensioner. I had a wet room fitted just over a year ago using a local authority grant. Builder was employed by local authority. I had no say in who carried out the work. I have called the builder out under the guarantee several times for water leaks. The shower...
Replies
Views
TheCatWhoNeedsaHotShower
T
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater systems in the house. This boiler was replaced by a combi boiler as it only heats the lounge and master bed and provides hot water to en-suite bathroom and...
Replies
Views
Hello. My mixer shower (non-electric) recently started running luke warm. I know this can happen at this time of year over winter but I've been in the property over 10 years and it's never been this bad before. The combi boiler was checked and is ok. The hot water from taps is uneffected and...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock