Discuss screwed iron in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

hammers4spanner

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
Opinions fellow fitters

With the likes of mapress and aquatherm being used more on commercial - industrial
Is it time for screwed iron to be edged out for new pipe technologies ?

That's all well and good for big jobs but black iron has still got a place on smaller jobs.

If its proving to be reliable then yes it should replace scewed where possible with prices getting tighter anything you can do to reduce labour cost is always a bonus, But I think there will always be a place for screwed fittings in confined spaces where you need a close taper nipple or on fan coil units where you can't get the mapress machine in.

most local authority jobs down my way will not allow the use of mapress

all screwed and sockets

most local authority jobs down my way will not allow the use of mapress

all screwed and sockets

well thats what we get here , was doing it years ago as apprentice wondering if people thinking same as me that its antiquated of sorts , still serves purpose but now better ways to do heating etc (and cleaner)

well thats what we get here , was doing it years ago as apprentice wondering if people thinking same as me that its antiquated of sorts , still serves purpose but now better ways to do heating etc (and cleaner)

do you really think steel mapress will last as long as screwed?

nothing lasts nowadays everything is made to be thrown away not repaired just to keep profits up maybe we plumbers should start installing materials with a life of say 3 to 5 years maximum maybe it would keep us all in work:biggrin5:

Isnt carbon steel 50 years?? Could be wrong but either way more than long enough if it is

Similar stuff been out for years, Polyorc and welded Alkathene has been out I think since the sixties, but good old iron keeps going. You can drop the black stuff swing on it and a few other things you can't do with plastics. Its also relatively cheap. Plastic like oil is bound to go up in price. You can even get compression fittings for iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to screwed iron in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I need to this cast iron pipe back as my new back to wall toilet won’t fit otherwise. Cutting it back i am going to lose the collar. So what...
Replies
Views
I need to replace the washer of my kitchen mixer tap as it is leaking. I was able to remove the spout once by unscrewing the screw on the back of...
Replies
Views
Had the plumber replace the pipes less than 2 month from the sink that lead into a cast iron pipe. They also unblocked gunk from the start of the...
Replies
Views
Afternoon, our bath waste pipe in our rented property has started leaking slightly when we shower. We've narrowed it down to a loose screw in the...
Replies
Views
Dear colleagues , My name is Roohollah and an overseas Heating tech. I have recently collected some data on oldest cast iron boiler from UK...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock