Search the forum,

Discuss Radiator and pipes are stone cold? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

arees1987

Hi my upstairs radiator ( and pipes ) which is the furthest away from boiler is stone cold when heating is on. I have bled radiator, turned all others off except the one in question and nothing!! TRV is fine and inlet valve is fully open. Have trauled through other posts cant seem to find answer im looking for. Any help be greatly appreciated.

:iagree: give more attention to the trv first, check the pin is not stuck, give the valve a few taps, if that doesn't improve do some more investigating, close both valves to problem radiator, drain and remove it, whilst its off give it a flush out with the hose pipe.
then test each valve in turn, open over a bucket and let a flow of water pass.
working on the assumption that one side is not passing, if so then need to check the valve after that you're looking for a blockage in the pipe

TRV is not stuck and yes water does come out when I have bled it. I have looked at draining and removing the radiator but not being plumbing edjucated was not sure if this is a tricky process and not sure quite what to do. If there is water in the radiator does that mean that there is not a blockage in the pipes to the radiator?

the water came out the bleed nipple yes?
how do you know which pipe it came to the radiator through?

Yes the water came out of the bleed valve at the top of radiator when i opened it. Not sure what you mean about the pipe. I have read on internet that the rad is cold because maybe there is a blockage in the pipes to the radiator. Was just asking that if there is water in the radiator does that mean there is no blockage?

Yes the water came out of the bleed valve at the top of radiator when i opened it. Not sure what you mean about the pipe. I have read on internet that the rad is cold because maybe there is a blockage in the pipes to the radiator. Was just asking that if there is water in the radiator does that mean there is no blockage?

Refer back to post #3.

Nothing happens to the rad. It stays cold. I did notice when opening and closing all the valves on other radiators i could hear the water rushing through valve when opened. But with the problem rad i didnt hear anything? So simon you are saying to drain and flush rad then if still not working it will be a blockage in pipes?

Simon F's advice was spot on. Gives you a starting point. The key is in the getting water out of the two valves before you refit the rad.

And just as a rough guide so i dont completely mess it up how would i go about making sure that the water is out of the two valves before refitting? I kinda understand the draining and removing of the rad initially.

what system do you have? is it sealed or do you have a tank in the loft ?
has this rad just recently stoped working?
as the others have said theirs a good chance the trv is sticking how do you know its not, have you took the head off the trv?
failing that you will have to turn off both valves and drain the radiator and remove and check its not full of sludge. then you can open both valves into a bucket too see if they are the problem.be careful doing this as sludge is no fun to get out of carpets
and trvs have a tendency to leak so dont leave the radiator off for too long with out capping it off

Take the head off the TRV have a look at the pin does it move freely or is it stuck.

99 times out of a hundred it will be the trv if you want to prove it shut the other end of and bleed it into a container see if it stops after 30 seconds

The pin moves freely when pushed. If the water stops after 30 seconds what does that mean? Mike i have a small tank in the loft and yes it only stopped working when i started using it this winter!!

does the water stop after 30 seconds with valve open
which side
trv or lockshield

Havnt tried yet wont do untill tomorow. but when i do shall i try and bleed thevtrv vslve? if it stops after 30 seconds what does this mean? good or bad?

Shut each valve down. One at a time. And try bleeding then. This will give you an indication as to whether your flow or return has a problem.

Though to be honest, reading this thread, you'd be better off getting someone in. It'll also help keep the economy going!

Shut each valve down. One at a time. And try bleeding then. This will give you an indication as to whether your flow or return has a problem.

Though to be honest, reading this thread, you'd be better off getting someone in. It'll also help keep the economy going!

Haha, brilliant. And I agree, if you can't grasp the fairly simple principles at play here, or the relatively simple advice already offered, you should probably call in a professional.

i agree,,system could be open vented ,sealed with micro bore....as already stated ..get a professional in, for all sorts of reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Radiator and pipes are stone cold? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Sorry if question already answered in previous posts, but I can't find a solution to the below: We recently moved house to a new home that...
Replies
Views
bit of an odd one. UFH been working fine for about a year or two now. today the pipes going to it before the zone valve are stone cold. its a...
Replies
Views
Hi All, In Dec 2023 I had my annual boiler service and asked the plumber to change 2 radiator valves as the radiator in the toilet downstairs was...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm a reasonably experienced DIY plumber but just can't work out why the last new rad I've installed is cold - would really appreciate your...
Replies
Views
Hi All Bit of an urgent one being that time of year and can't get a plumber out until after xmas even on an emergency callout I have just...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock