Discuss Qualifications so far......What next? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
C&G 6129 (please dont laugh)
CCN1
CKR1
HTR1
WAT1
CPA1
CEN1
CONGLP1PD (Changeover Natural gas to LPG - permanent dwellings)
VESLP1

Water Regs also.

The above quals are what i have got through the army so far. I know the 6129 is not really respected so i will, when time allows go for the full NVQ.

What would anyone else suggest i add to these qualifications in order to appeal more to possible employers?

I was thinking one of the electrical courses might be a good idea, one of the assessors said rather than do the part p do one of the electrical fault finding certs instead.

Any other recommendations? I am lucky that at the moment i can afford to put money to one side for when i am able to do the qualifications.

What qualifications do any of you have that you dont neccessarily need but have come in handy to enable you to take on particular jobs that you otherwise would have seen go to someone else? - and if you are able to tell me prices too that would be a good help.

Thanks

Last edited:
What about unvented hot water, also are you in a rural area? Much oil about, if so could look at OFTEC.

not in a rural area but the army was supposed to put us through oil too but funding ran out lol. Will consider doing oil though as never know what opportunities may come up.

No offence but most of the qualifications you have gained are worth nothing unless you can gain employment or work along side a gsr to enable gas safe regisration.
I have an apprentice who has got very similar qualifications to your self but also has NVQ 3 and he has worked with me for nearly 5 years and has gained a good amount of experience.
He is a good lad and knows what to do and when to do it. I am not sure what you plan is but I would be almost certain that you will struggle to make it as a gas / plumber or what ever without any experience

No offence but most of the qualifications you have gained are worth nothing unless you can gain employment or work along side a gsr to enable gas safe regisration.
I have an apprentice who has got very similar qualifications to your self but also has NVQ 3 and he has worked with me for nearly 5 years and has gained a good amount of experience.
He is a good lad and knows what to do and when to do it. I am not sure what you plan is but I would be almost certain that you will struggle to make it as a gas / plumber or what ever without any experience

Yeah i understand that. I am still in the army at the moment and when i am able to start looking to get experience i'll be going all out to do so and leaving no stone unturned. As it is i can not really start applying for work with anyone just yet (aware that i'll be lucky to even get voluntary position) as i dont want to make a commitment to someone and then have to let them down because the army need me for something then that will be 1 bridge burned through no fault of my own.

Soon as i know when i am free i will be contacting anyone and everyone i feel may be able to give me a start. I know i have an uphill battle ahead to get my foot in the door when it comes to plumbing but my effort will be rewarded one day lol.

your apprentice must be the most qualified and long serving apprentice about :)

Yeah i understand that. I am still in the army at the moment and when i am able to start looking to get experience i'll be going all out to do so and leaving no stone unturned. As it is i can not really start applying for work with anyone just yet (aware that i'll be lucky to even get voluntary position) as i dont want to make a commitment to someone and then have to let them down because the army need me for something then that will be 1 bridge burned through no fault of my own.

Soon as i know when i am free i will be contacting anyone and everyone i feel may be able to give me a start. I know i have an uphill battle ahead to get my foot in the door when it comes to plumbing but my effort will be rewarded one day lol.

your apprentice must be the most qualified and long serving apprentice about :)

hi,

apprenticeships are 4 years long and candidates get all relevant qualifications during that period

i hope you find what you need

I still call him my apprentice even though I suppose he no longer is, but will probably still call him the same in 10 years

C&G 6129 (please dont laugh)
CCN1
CKR1
HTR1
WAT1
CPA1
CEN1
CONGLP1PD (Changeover Natural gas to LPG - permanent dwellings)
VESLP1

Water Regs also.

The above quals are what i have got through the army so far. I know the 6129 is not really respected so i will, when time allows go for the full NVQ.

What would anyone else suggest i add to these qualifications in order to appeal more to possible employers?

I was thinking one of the electrical courses might be a good idea, one of the assessors said rather than do the part p do one of the electrical fault finding certs instead.

Any other recommendations? I am lucky that at the moment i can afford to put money to one side for when i am able to do the qualifications.

What qualifications do any of you have that you dont neccessarily need but have come in handy to enable you to take on particular jobs that you otherwise would have seen go to someone else? - and if you are able to tell me prices too that would be a good help.

Thanks

Hi armyash

If you can get em do a solar thermal course a heatpump course and a biomass course as renewables are really picking up now also see if the army can do something to help you get your MCS as it will cost you a fortune in civvy street, and as said above you definatley need your unvented ticket (G3)

Hi armyash

If you can get em do a solar thermal course a heatpump course and a biomass course as renewables are really picking up now also see if the army can do something to help you get your MCS as it will cost you a fortune in civvy street, and as said above you definatley need your unvented ticket (G3)

surprised we didnt get unvented ticket. I'll definitely get that, what is the approximate cost for that?. I checked out MCS also and it's something i will consider in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Qualifications so far......What next? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Please can anyone help or point me in the right direcrion. I have recently completed a 18 month bpec management learning programme...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Hello, and thanks for taking the time to read. I'm trying to work out if the idea I have is practical? The water pressure in my newly renovated...
Replies
Views
Just an update to anyone who was following the thread on this site: Tify to gas engineer, what will it take? I got a DM from a user asking for an...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I've been running an UFH installation/ repair business for 7 years now and one of my main frustrations is finding the parts for the UFH...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock