Search the forum,

Discuss Qualifications so far......What next? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

armyash

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
C&G 6129 (please dont laugh)
CCN1
CKR1
HTR1
WAT1
CPA1
CEN1
CONGLP1PD (Changeover Natural gas to LPG - permanent dwellings)
VESLP1

Water Regs also.

The above quals are what i have got through the army so far. I know the 6129 is not really respected so i will, when time allows go for the full NVQ.

What would anyone else suggest i add to these qualifications in order to appeal more to possible employers?

I was thinking one of the electrical courses might be a good idea, one of the assessors said rather than do the part p do one of the electrical fault finding certs instead.

Any other recommendations? I am lucky that at the moment i can afford to put money to one side for when i am able to do the qualifications.

What qualifications do any of you have that you dont neccessarily need but have come in handy to enable you to take on particular jobs that you otherwise would have seen go to someone else? - and if you are able to tell me prices too that would be a good help.

Thanks

Last edited:
What about unvented hot water, also are you in a rural area? Much oil about, if so could look at OFTEC.

not in a rural area but the army was supposed to put us through oil too but funding ran out lol. Will consider doing oil though as never know what opportunities may come up.

No offence but most of the qualifications you have gained are worth nothing unless you can gain employment or work along side a gsr to enable gas safe regisration.
I have an apprentice who has got very similar qualifications to your self but also has NVQ 3 and he has worked with me for nearly 5 years and has gained a good amount of experience.
He is a good lad and knows what to do and when to do it. I am not sure what you plan is but I would be almost certain that you will struggle to make it as a gas / plumber or what ever without any experience

No offence but most of the qualifications you have gained are worth nothing unless you can gain employment or work along side a gsr to enable gas safe regisration.
I have an apprentice who has got very similar qualifications to your self but also has NVQ 3 and he has worked with me for nearly 5 years and has gained a good amount of experience.
He is a good lad and knows what to do and when to do it. I am not sure what you plan is but I would be almost certain that you will struggle to make it as a gas / plumber or what ever without any experience

Yeah i understand that. I am still in the army at the moment and when i am able to start looking to get experience i'll be going all out to do so and leaving no stone unturned. As it is i can not really start applying for work with anyone just yet (aware that i'll be lucky to even get voluntary position) as i dont want to make a commitment to someone and then have to let them down because the army need me for something then that will be 1 bridge burned through no fault of my own.

Soon as i know when i am free i will be contacting anyone and everyone i feel may be able to give me a start. I know i have an uphill battle ahead to get my foot in the door when it comes to plumbing but my effort will be rewarded one day lol.

your apprentice must be the most qualified and long serving apprentice about :)

Yeah i understand that. I am still in the army at the moment and when i am able to start looking to get experience i'll be going all out to do so and leaving no stone unturned. As it is i can not really start applying for work with anyone just yet (aware that i'll be lucky to even get voluntary position) as i dont want to make a commitment to someone and then have to let them down because the army need me for something then that will be 1 bridge burned through no fault of my own.

Soon as i know when i am free i will be contacting anyone and everyone i feel may be able to give me a start. I know i have an uphill battle ahead to get my foot in the door when it comes to plumbing but my effort will be rewarded one day lol.

your apprentice must be the most qualified and long serving apprentice about :)

hi,

apprenticeships are 4 years long and candidates get all relevant qualifications during that period

i hope you find what you need

I still call him my apprentice even though I suppose he no longer is, but will probably still call him the same in 10 years

C&G 6129 (please dont laugh)
CCN1
CKR1
HTR1
WAT1
CPA1
CEN1
CONGLP1PD (Changeover Natural gas to LPG - permanent dwellings)
VESLP1

Water Regs also.

The above quals are what i have got through the army so far. I know the 6129 is not really respected so i will, when time allows go for the full NVQ.

What would anyone else suggest i add to these qualifications in order to appeal more to possible employers?

I was thinking one of the electrical courses might be a good idea, one of the assessors said rather than do the part p do one of the electrical fault finding certs instead.

Any other recommendations? I am lucky that at the moment i can afford to put money to one side for when i am able to do the qualifications.

What qualifications do any of you have that you dont neccessarily need but have come in handy to enable you to take on particular jobs that you otherwise would have seen go to someone else? - and if you are able to tell me prices too that would be a good help.

Thanks

Hi armyash

If you can get em do a solar thermal course a heatpump course and a biomass course as renewables are really picking up now also see if the army can do something to help you get your MCS as it will cost you a fortune in civvy street, and as said above you definatley need your unvented ticket (G3)

Hi armyash

If you can get em do a solar thermal course a heatpump course and a biomass course as renewables are really picking up now also see if the army can do something to help you get your MCS as it will cost you a fortune in civvy street, and as said above you definatley need your unvented ticket (G3)

surprised we didnt get unvented ticket. I'll definitely get that, what is the approximate cost for that?. I checked out MCS also and it's something i will consider in the future.

just had a look at the logic4training website and they do Hot water systems and safety course for £195 plus vat. Apparently that has replaced the unvented hot water course. Does that sound about right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Qualifications so far......What next? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
I have an ideal vogue max S18 boiler and I’m considering fitting auto balancing TRVs, my question relates to the boilers pump. I see a boiler pump menu for either 70% or 100%, so, is the pump set at either one of two fixed speed percentages or does the pump actually vary speed, (modulate)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock