Search the forum,

Discuss Why so little information about b/f gas convector room heaters? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

E

eco-heating options

I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters, b) a small separate combi-boiler & rads, c) go all electric if it wasn't practical to alter the existing rad circuit, or overload the existing boiler. Hardly any would suggest d) balanced flue, wall mounted convector heaters, e) a split heat pump system (warm air), or f) a monobloc heat pump with underfloor heating for the room heating.

In the case of balanced flue, wall mounted convector heaters, these are one of the simplest and easiest & quickest to install, and cheapest to run, requiring only a single gas pipe & a simple power connection. The trouble is the available range of units is pathetic, as they have strangely never really been accepted by heating engineers for decades in my experience. Its odd because I have 3 Robinson Willey Warmplan XX auto b/f units I installed here over 35yrs ago, and they are still going strong! (unfortunately they don't make these super efficient heaters any longer)

Warm air heating is without doubt, the quickest & most efficient way to heat a room, and if you don't want to clutter walls with radiators, or risk water leaks from piping under floors, or have excessive controls and water treatment, then 'simple is beautiful' as they say.

Baxi still do the Brazillia/Bermuda units I believe, but they haven't changed for decades. I believe that there is a place for balanced flue convectors in this day & age, as people dont want to heat the whole place. Thats where the running costs escalate. You cant occupy all the rooms at the same time lets face it.

Reply to Why so little information about b/f gas convector room heaters? in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock