Search the forum,

Discuss programmer restarts when DHW and CH on together ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

growfins

Hi all,
I've got an odd issue with the central heating in our home. When the programmer is set to have CH and HW on at the same time, the programmer keeps switching off then on again (in the order of HW off first, then CH, then both back on). The cut out only lasts for about a second, but occurs frequently. We've got the following installation:

Ideal Icos HE18 condensing boiler ( jibes will be accepted on this btw)
Old Drayton Tempus 7 programmer
Honeywell v4073a 3 port valve
Grundflos pump
B gas RS1 room stat
Unknown cylinder stat

As a DIYer, I've checked some of the obvious mechanical stuff I know about, noting the following:

- Independent CH or HW work normally when set on the programmer. CH and HW operate at a good temp, Room and cylinder stats seem to operate normally to call and turn off the boiler when satisfied.

- Had the cover off the 3 port valve and checked the motor moves across the 3 positions a,b and midpoint depending on what's being called. All seems OK.

- Pump turns on and off when needed and sounds smooth.

- Fault occurs when the boiler is turned on or off.

- Checked for loose connections in the programmer backplate and wiring centre. The programmers definitely the oldest part of the system and I've got a replacement on the way.

So now I'm out of knowledge. I'm thinking it's probably time to call in a pro with a multimeter, but before I do so, I'd like to hear any opinions on where the fault might likely be located, and anything useful I can check that I've missed ?

Thanks in advance

Sounds like you already know the answer.... New programmer

Sounds like you already know the answer.... New programmer

Thanks for the super fast reply. That was my first suspicion as the fault's evident there, but not sure whether some other connection would cause it to trip, such as when the valve's in its mid position on in the stats.

Is it easy to take the programmer out of the loop to test the CH and HW running together ? On the backplate I've got the following connections:

L
N
1 HW off
2 empty
3 HW on
4 CH on

In the Live terminal, there's a yellow wire connected as well as red. Would like to know what that's doing there ...Today's job has been tracing the wiring to see how it fit's together in the junction box

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to programmer restarts when DHW and CH on together ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've just noticed that with the CH programmer either selected off or timed off, the CH can still be controlled on/off at the room thermostat. HW is controlled by the same programmer and is operating normally. System is a pumped Y plan. I take it the programmer is fubar? Anything I can do to...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, Hopefully someone can throw some light on if this is a real issue or not. I have had this boiler for about 10 years, I noticed just recently that when the CH has been turned off that a couple of the rads closest to the boiler were slightly warm. When the boiler had demand to heat the DHW I...
Replies
Views
R
Thermostat and Programmer not communicating with Boiler. Both have been replaced. Any ideas? On the Glowworm boiler 18sxi I can use the CH controller to switch on/off the boiler, that works fine. Also upstairs i have a tank, when I switch that on I get hot water. But what else can I check...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi, would appreciate any thoughts on the below. I have an almost 10yr old Ferroli Modena 32S HE system boiler. (I am aware of their reputation! ) 2 weeks ago HW went lukewarm. When HW was called, the rads came on. The cylinder motorised valve has been replaced today, but it's not fixed the...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, I have a fault on a clients heating system whereby the heating will stay on regardless of what the programmer is doing on its timed function, it'll switch off at the programmer (no light) but boiler will stay on until they turn the stat down, I went and looked at it, they said they...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock