Search the forum,

Discuss Programmer fault/wireless stat wiring? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi guys, I have a fault on a clients heating system whereby the heating will stay on regardless of what the programmer is doing on its timed function, it'll switch off at the programmer (no light) but boiler will stay on until they turn the stat down, I went and looked at it, they said they weren't sure whether it's ever worked correctly on timed function (handy) it has a Honeywell 2 channel programmer and a Honeywell wireless non programmable room stat not the same models, I thought it was because it had been linked out incorrectly at the receiver unit on the stat, I tested it on its timed function and it switched off and on and so on after removing the weird link and thought happy days, but now they called me back after a day of it working fine saying it continues to stay on even when the programmer is set to auto but off time, saying it came on middle of the arvo? Thinking about it.. (I'm now confusing myself) - are the programmer and stat even compatible, as the wireless stat is constantly supplied a live connection and can essentially switch the zone valve independently of the programmer. The programmer is st9400c and a Honeywell wireless stat and receiver (circular one that looks like a nest). Could someone more electrical savvy than me shed some light as to how it's supposed to be wired, I understand s plan wiring etc but this has really confused me. TIA

Is this live from a demand from the programmer or no demand? If no demand, then it’s likely a wiring fault or the programmer.
It remains live regardless of the programmer timings, until they turn the stat down it doesn't stop they say. Although when I was there I set the timings and waited until it clicked off and it did in fact switch off when it was supposed to so I'm led to think the programmer is at fault. I guess I'm more confused as to how an RF stat is supposed to be wired up on a 2 channel without a built in reciever.. as they say now this has never worked properly.

Wiring could be done at the wiring center for the receiver. As for this live, has it been tested for voltage?
Yes it was tested when the programmer was in an off time period, yet in the loft where the wiring centre is unfortunately, the pump was on (wired into the switch lives in wiring centre) and the 2 port was open still..but I will double check again before I make any alterations. Let's just assume it is receiving demand from prog/stat. The wiring is definitely not great at all, would really like to put this issue to bed. Could you explain the reciever wiring to me on here? The reciever back plate is N|L|L|A|B|C. Thanks

Could you explain the reciever wiring to me on here? The reciever back plate is N|L|L|A|B|C. Thanks
Yes sure, obviously L and N self explanatory. Depending on the switching and how the installer has wired it, there might be a link to take 230/240vac to the abc side of the receiver, but unlikely in this setup. Then A will be your common supply (live in) and B is usually Switched live (live out/return path), C is rarely used.

You need to determine where the 230vv is coming from ........... not too tricky if you have access to the wiring centre
I have accessed the wiring centre, there is 240v coming up from the programmer/thermostat in fault state. This might be a silly question but how does an RF stat with a permanent live supply to the receiver not override the programmer on timed? I understand that the receiver is hard wired in and the switching is done internally, but the part I'm confused on as I've always just fit combined units is how the programmer has any control in this instance over the heating as the thermostat doesn't need supply sent from the programmer to operate as normal?

Yes sure, obviously L and N self explanatory. Depending on the switching and how the installer has wired it, there might be a link to take 230/240vac to the abc side of the receiver, but unlikely in this setup. Then A will be your common supply (live in) and B is usually Switched live (live out/return path), C is rarely used.
Thanks, the installer had linked a permanent live from the L and N side of the stat to A I believe it was, I don't think it's necessary in this scenario.. however in the manual it says do this on a 2 port but absolutely no mention of programmer's etc. The bit I don't understand in this situation is how does the RF stat get controlled by the programmer for heating times? It seems to me it's completely independent of the programmer? Unless I'm missing something?

Okay thanks guys, upon looking at wiring diagrams I now understand where I'm going wrong. I need to brush up 🤪

Last edited:

Reply to Programmer fault/wireless stat wiring? in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have a Honeywell ST699 programmer which is working fine but I want to learn how to decommission it (disconnect it from the rest of the system). Currently I have a Honeywell Home Single Zone Thermostat (Y87RF2024) and I am thinking to get the Honeywell Home Mobile Access Kit RFG100 to get...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm having issues with my wireless Honeywell thermostat. It's sat in the living room, set at 18C currently. It makes my Worcester Greenstar 18Ri to short cycle. So, the moment it gets cold outside my boiler works for about a minute, then stops, and starts again in about 5 minutes, then...
Replies
Views
Customer complains of Intermittent heating on Y plan with Stat satisfied. New boiler fitted last year (no permanent live required or fitted previously) on an existing Y plan system. Existing timer was a Randall 103 (no hot water off position as its a timer not a programmer). The customer wanted...
Replies
Views
We have an all Vaillant setup - an EcoTEC Plus 637 system boiler plus wired VR720 and VR92 SensoCOMFORT controller, driving two CH zones plus DHW. It all works, but unfortunately we have found that the room stats are poorly located, and so the level of control is not what it should be. We had...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am trying to link a Hive heating & hot water dual channel receiver to an old Vaillant THERMOcompact VU GB 242/1 E system boiler. It has an internal programmer that is similar to a time switch 120 (plug in seven day programmer) This programmer is connect to a terminal strip using 345 (three...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock