Search the forum,

Discuss Potterton Netaheat Profile 80e - boiler thermal cuts out... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Roblion

Hello all,
Firstly you know it's serious when a guy has to ask for help! :)
My first time here....
My System is;
Potterton Netaheat Profile 80e (about 15-20 years old) Boiler thermosat set to 3 normally
fully pump fed with grundfos pump set on speed 2
Honeywell Smartfit control panel and programmer (S plan). Temp Water set to 60oC, CH set to 22oC
2 x honeywell smartfit zone valves (#1 is Hot Water, #2 is CH) both 2 port. The leaver has 3 positions, A = Closed, Fill/Vent = Open, B = ???

OK list of problems......
The system had been working no problem all summer for timed HW and occasional CH. On start of cold weather, the system stopped and would not re light. Boiler thermal cut out was NOT out. Engineer called - replaced Fan, control thermostat and pump overrun thermometer, now boiler starts up first time..

However, the boiler thermal cut out pops if set above 1, (normally set at 3). Set at 1 the system can not meet the CH and HW temps demands.
Set at 2 we get some kettling, and thermal cut out pops out.
Set at 3 we get severe kettling, even venting to CH fill tank.
Set above 3 it sounds like NASA has just launched a spaceshuttle from our kitchen!

It all seems to happen when after the desired temps are met, the boiler shuts off normally, and both values open to dissipate heat, the pump is running, but after a few seconds to minutes the thermal cut out pops.... However, it also seem that the system SOMETIMES ignores what temps are set and continues to heat CH or HW beyond what is asked......

Pump replaced with new one..... old one has some black dirt in it. Still no change to problem.

Fill tank is clean, water-in valve works ok.
If pump is set to speed 3.... the system continuously vents hot water back to the fill tank.

Most pipework is 22mm except the bypass balancing valve pipe which is 15mm. There is no bypass radiator. Radiators around house are microbore.

Now the Engineer is saying we need to powerfush the system to clean it out..... but it will cost!! and he is unsure if it will fix problem or that we may cause a blow in the pipework somewhere.

Help........ Please guys....what should i do????

Thanks in advance..

Rob

some photo's in case they help.......
roblion-albums-potterton-profile-80e-picture1279-system.jpg

roblion-albums-potterton-profile-80e-picture1275-programmer.jpg

roblion-albums-potterton-profile-80e-picture1276-bypass.jpg

roblion-albums-potterton-profile-80e-picture1277-valves.jpg

roblion-albums-potterton-profile-80e-picture1278-pump.jpg

roblion-albums-potterton-profile-80e-picture1280-smartfit.jpg

just been told by Engineer.... he replaced Pump Overrun Thermostat 404505 with 404507...... he was told by suppliers it was the new replacement part...... is this correct? or part of my problems????

Thanks Guys.....(and girls)

Does your pump stop when the boiler main burner stops or does it run on beyond that cessation?

Hi, I might be. Wrong but I did a heating contract the other year in Birmingham and I'm sure we were not aloud to take these out due to some signs of asbestos in them. Like I said I may be wrong. Just trying to warn you about disturbing it to much. Hope I haven't worried you but prevention is better.

Make sure all the air has been vented out.
Presumably, the boiler overheat t/stat is working and tripping because the circulation in the system is poor and all the heat is staying in the vicinity of the boiler. Just as well to check overheat t/stat and if that's ok then clean out the system, treat with cleanser, instal magnaclean, add inhibitor etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton Netaheat Profile 80e - boiler thermal cuts out... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock