Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Potterton help please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tforcnab

I have a Potterton 16/22 LPG boiler on an open vent system that has worked very successfully and reliably since I installed it in 1987. However, when starting, the pilot ignites immediately and the electronic igniter can then 'click' up to 40+ times before the main burner ignites. This only happens from cold, subsequent main burner ignition when the system is warm takes usually 4 to 5 clicks as normal, at the most. If I gently tap the thermostat control switch after a few clicks when first firing up, the main burner solenoid operated immediately. I am uncertain what initiates the main burner once the pilot is lit. I have fitted a new electrode lead. Could this be a sticking contact within the thermostat switch?
Any answers or ideas from the wise would be appreciated.

Sounds like your solenoid is sticking on start up which is on your gas valve, you may find it hard to get replacement parts for this old model. maybe replace the whole valve instead of just the solenoid. If you cant get one.

Brian

Thanks for that Brian. but sol seems OK. Do you know the answer to my question 'what is the trigger that energises the main burner sol, once the pilot has lit'?

For anyone out there who may be interested, the problem was solved by replacing three electrolytic capacitors in the Potterton PCB 407676. Parts under £2 from Maplins.
Works just like a new boiler again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Potterton help please. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock