Discuss Plumbing costs in Durham area in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jacqui Mansfiel

Hi, I am on overseas landlord and have been quoted GBP175 to replace a leaking kitchen sink tap. Looking online to get an idea of prices this seems rather excessive. Even by our country's prices it is 3 x the average call out rate. I was also surprised the plumber disassembled everything & left it so for 4 days. Could this be a rate for 2 days work and if so is that fair? Surely it would take less than an hour to replace the tap on to the flexi hose? Any advice would be appreciated.

His he supplying tap? I also read it that he's already been out once? Iso's on hot and cold?

But seriously, you think 175 is for 2 days work. Plus your telling him how easy it is to do!

Living in Co. Durham myself I would have charged more.

Hi Jacqui and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like a lot of money, if this is the whole story. With no complicating factors, its a call out charge, the price of materials (plus margin) and a bit of labour.

Its a bit confusing that the plumber would disassemble everything if he was asked to replace it from the very start?

Is it possible that he was first asked to fix it (with you thinking that would be cheaper) so he went on site, disassembled it - searched everywhere for a part - couldn't find it (you never can with modern taps) and then finally got authorisation to replace it?

In that second scenario, it wouldn't be hard to run up a £175 bill.

Hi Jacqui - we look after quite a few absentee landlords properties.

If we know you and you are a regular then there is not a call out charge, if your not a regular then you will be treated as a new commercial customer.

Tap world is a very open price area - so it depends on what sort of tap - mixer, match the other tap then 2 visits plus collection of tap this price seems reasonable - and you will get an invoice to put against tax. My advice is to get a regular outfit to look after your property - maybe the one that does you landlord and tennants gas each year and trust them - pay promptly and you will be amazed how few headaches you will get

centralheatkingQUOTE=Jacqui Mansfiel;551297]Hi, I am on overseas landlord and have been quoted GBP175 to replace a leaking kitchen sink tap. Looking online to get an idea of prices this seems rather excessive. Even by our country's prices it is 3 x the average call out rate. I was also surprised the plumber disassembled everything & left it so for 4 days. Could this be a rate for 2 days work and if so is that fair? Surely it would take less than an hour to replace the tap on to the flexi hose? Any advice would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Thank you everyone for your replies. It is rather difficult to get the full story - I have it second & third hand. I appreciate GBP175 for 2 days work is fair but it is simply not possible to spend two entire working days (8hrs a day) changing a tap. I have requested another quote from a plumber not contracted to a management company. Central Heat King I shall be in touch going forward from here! I am glad I found this forum/website, it has been very helpful.

No 175 is not fair for two days work. Plumber probably charged 100 and the management company added 75 for themselves.

But what you going to do. One of the pitfalls of looking after rented properties from afar.

Durham is a large area. If I drove from Tynemouth to weastgate (near consent) you would be paying £150 as soon as I arrived.

probably 145.82 exc VAT. 2 visits at £45 a go? £55.82 for a tap
Sounds fair to me. I don't know why all customers think we should work for peanuts with the amount of risk involved in the job and training we have to go through.

sounds cheap to me for 2 visits and I'm not!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Plumbing costs in Durham area in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm a council tenant and my bathroom basin is broken and needs replacing, it has standard pillar taps. Do you know if councils would ever replace...
Replies
Views
V
Good morning, I thought I would try here first before going elsewhere. in short I had a septic system flexible coupling needing replacing. Backed...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have quite low flow rate for my electric shower (a piddling 5L/min), and would like some tips or advice about how to solve or find the...
Replies
Views
Essaboy
E
Last summer I used one of those kits to fit an external tap , all went well , still good , its one of those flexi pipe , self cutting tap jobs ...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single...
Replies
Views
Back