Search the forum,

Discuss increased pressure to external tap in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Last summer I used one of those kits to fit an external tap , all went well , still good , its one of those flexi pipe , self cutting tap jobs , doesnt leak , all seems good, However , I would like to increase the pressure , I know those self cutters only cut a very small hole in the copper pipe ,
Is there any reason that I cant take that off and replace it with a compression joint directly to hose then to the tap , I know how to do it but im not sure whether those self cutting taps are fitted for convenience or if im missing something , the reason im doing it is that I want to use the outside tap for a pressure washer and the pressure with the self cutting tap it ridiculous ( it did say "not suitable for pressure washers" on the box to be fair"

The main reasons they’re sold and installed are:
  • Easy to fit, eg diyer
  • They contain everything needed including a double check valve (for backflow prevention)
The pressure is likely to be the same as what you get at your kitchen sink tap (or the mains pressure) and it’s likely the flow rate is affected. If you want to swap it out for compression fittings, then this is fine providing you supply an isolation valve, a double check valve and a means for draining it down (for anti freezing purposes).

• Easy to fit, eg diyer
  • They contain everything needed including a double check valve (for backflow prevention)
The pressure is likely to be the same as what you get at your kitchen sink tap (or the mains pressure) and it’s likely the flow rate is affected. If you want to swap it out for compression fittings, then this is fine providing you s

upply an isolation valve, a double check valve and a means for draining it down (for anti freezing purposes).

Thanks , the pressure that I get out of the kitchen tap is epic as I live in an old terraced house and all of the water is downstairs . I will add a compression fitting and check valve , I just wondered if "easy to fit" wasnt the only reason these kits only provided a self cutting tap

• Easy to fit, eg diyer
The pressure is likely to be the same as what you get at your kitchen sink tap (or the mains pressure) and it’s likely the flow rate is affected. If you want to swap it out for compression fittings, then this is fine providing you supply an isolation valve, a double check valve and a means for draining it down (for anti freezing purposes).
Good morning , I have a further question , so as stated I currently have a self cutting tap feeding the outside tap .. The query I have is this , the self cutting only cuts a very small hole out of the pipe , restricting flow , the compression fitting actually replaces a section of the pipe , however due to the isolation tap the flow is still restricted to a small hole , therefore is it worth replacing as it appears ultimately with both setups the water will be flowing through this small hole.

Fit a full bore lever valve and remove all the flexible hoses, self cutting tap etc. This will provide you with as good as you can get without upgrading the incoming main.

I would also remove the current tap and dismantle it to see if the little copper disc you cut from the pipe has got lodged in the taps workings- I’ve seen this many times when correcting diy installs. Same with the non return valve.

Reply to increased pressure to external tap in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I'm having a nightmare trying to find matt black wall or deck mounted bath mixer taps with 3/4 fitting that work on 0.2 bar. From tank to tap, I have around 2.4 metres, so a pressure of a little over 0.2 bar. The flow measured from the tap currently fitted is 11 litres per minute. Pretty much...
Replies
Views
Hi guys, first post here So I have been boxing in a number of heating pipes that are throughout my garage since the boiler was located there by the previous owner, they decided to run pipes all along the edge of the garage floor... I do however have one that goes vertically out of the concrete...
Replies
Views
Hi I'm going to be fitting a tap like this one: And just wanted to check that this is the correct part for connecting to 15mm copper pipe using compression: https://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/flomasta-compression-straight-tap-connector-15mm-x-1-2-/58294 If not, please could someone let me know...
Replies
Views
Hi folks Really daft question here but what tap connectors are you all using? I’ve picked up a couple of end feed with fibre washers today and the washers didn’t fit. Just would not fit over the little spigot that sits just inside the tap. I ended up using different washers which were baggy...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked very corroded around the tap handle. An Anglian Water engineer was at the property measuring my water pressure and flow rate. When he saw the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock