Discuss Pls help - looking for thermostat with overheat cut for old Potterton Diplomat boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Shivermetimbers

Anyone like a challenge ? Am trying to source a 'boiler thermostat with overheat thermostat', originally made by Honeywell part ref L6091B1016 for a Potterton Diplomat C116/34. I think this part is now obsolete but am looking for part or equivalent that would work in existing boiler please. Any help/pointers would be much appreciated - Thanks

Re: Pls help - looking for thermostat with overheat cut for old Potterton Diplomat bo

The part will definitely be obsolete. You can't use an alternative part unless it has been supplied or approved by the manufacturer of the appliance. Doing so could put you and your neighbours at risk, as well as invalidating your house insurance cover.

Re: Pls help - looking for thermostat with overheat cut for old Potterton Diplomat bo

The part will definitely be obsolete. You can't use an alternative part unless it has been supplied or approved by the manufacturer of the appliance. Doing so could put you and your neighbours at risk, as well as invalidating your house insurance cover.
Thanks Anton - am hoping someone may have old part kicking around if I'm lucky or possibly replacing an old boiler with a working thermostat? Would definitely get it checked and installed professionally - thanks for your advice

Have you tried contacting Honeywell technical help?
You could email them or ring them & ask if they have a proper alternative to it.
If you were lucky to get a new one, it would be advisable to get a professional in to confirm if it is okay before you buy it & get him to fit it so he is responsible.

Have you tried contacting Honeywell technical help?
You could email them or ring them & ask if they have a proper alternative to it.
If you were lucky to get a new one, it would be advisable to get a professional in to confirm if it is okay before you buy it & get him to fit it so he is responsible.

Thanks Best - will give them a try and yes, would get a pro to fit. Cheers

I think that was a 1/2" brass pocket with two capillary tubes, you could use a commercial double stat but you need to check the depth of the pocket, send a photo if you can, BTW that boiler is probably no more than 50% efficient, which means for every ÂŁ100 of gas you buy ÂŁ50 goes up the fuel, might be time to part company.

the fact the instruction manual talks about town gas is indicative of the age of this boiler, I'd be more worried about the flue bring in a fit state to work safely rather than if I can keep it going!

They will bring town gas back when the Russians decide to close the tap.

Shiver,

That boiler will still be going when all these chaps on UKPF are brown bread, nevertheless the running cost are unacceptable,
if it was a Towns gas model converted over it puts it at around 48 years old, I bet your average all singing dancing WB wont last a 1/4 of that in fact WB about 2 years according to the expert on here. Get it changed, BTW the only difference when it was converted over was a set of 4 injector nozzles and maybe a governor spring.

the fact the instruction manual talks about town gas is indicative of the age of this boiler, I'd be more worried about the flue bring in a fit state to work safely rather than if I can keep it going!

Lame it will go into an old brick flue, no problem, no SS liner in those days mi lad, it had not been invented

Considering the points already raised idd get a new boiler, it'll pay for its self with the savings on your gas bill

Considering the points already raised idd get a new boiler, it'll pay for its self with the savings on your gas bill

Im not disagreeing with you but over how many years are you basing that calculation on?

Im not disagreeing with you but over how many years are you basing that calculation on?

I couldn't even make a guess with out knowing the current bill usage of appliance and other appliances, but the sooner you upgrade the sooner you start saving

I couldn't even make a guess with out knowing the current bill usage of appliance and other appliances, but the sooner you upgrade the sooner you start saving

I am with you Plumben, you are spot on.

Lame it will go into an old brick flue, no problem, no SS liner in those days mi lad, it had not been invented

shows how young I am :). I still remember ss flues fm years back, watched them going in as a young thing

I am with you Plumben, you are spot on.

Do you know the average savings on a new boiler in an average 3 bed semi?

All depends on lifestyle.

My old man has the Ideal equivalent of the Diplomat. On a standard assessment, the repayment period for changing to a modern condensing boiler would only be a few years. But since he's a hardy old bugg@r and only has the heating on when the mercury stays below zero for 4 consecutive days, and even then only for 20 mins a day - in reality the repayment period would be more than his life expectancy.

I tell the Mrs her AGA is inefficient, however if it was disconnected, I'd be taken to the vets to be totally emasculated within 5 mins :), some things cant be explained, but I love the Agas and Rayburns really along with all my customers :), beeegar windturbines and all that crud

A real Rayburn is awesome not them oil / gas contraptions. My mothers brothers and sisters all still have them. Lovely. Heat whole house easily.

A real Rayburn is awesome not them oil / gas contraptions. My mothers brothers and sisters all still have them. Lovely. Heat whole house easily.

for a while I thought we were going into you sex life what with mothers brothers sister ....... :)

All depends on lifestyle.

My old man has the Ideal equivalent of the Diplomat. On a standard assessment, the repayment period for changing to a modern condensing boiler would only be a few years. But since he's a hardy old bugg@r and only has the heating on when the mercury stays below zero for 4 consecutive days, and even then only for 20 mins a day - in reality the repayment period would be more than his life expectancy.

Ive often wondered about this. How long does a modern boiler last? 10 years? At a cost of say ÂŁ2000. Does it save you 200 a year? Plus the on going servicing and maintenance etc.

Nope not unless your a mug

APP about the same as the length of a piece of string used to tie a ball tap up with, need more info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Pls help - looking for thermostat with overheat cut for old Potterton Diplomat boiler in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original...
Replies
Views
My In-laws lives in Scotland Perthshire (I'm in England) and has an old 40+yr old coal fired boiler, Bungalow with 14 rads (some double) pumped...
Replies
Views
I am looking for a case for a worchester 240 combi boiler. The part is obsolete now but I would be happy to buy one if someone is renewing an old...
Replies
Views
D
Hello, So I swapped out the Original thermostat for a Tado Thermostat last night to my Potterton suprima 40 boiler (conventional non condensing)...
Replies
Views
Hi, sorry to bother you all with this but I am really struggling to find a suitable combi-boiler replacement and a knowledgeable heating engineer...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock