Search the forum,

Discuss patching repair in hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

CXR100

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
hi all ,
anybody know how to repair a hole in a hw cylinder, had one today with a half inch crack in , it was a primatic cylinder in a small cupoard so didnt fancy replacing it, somebody had droped something on it and dented it (hence the crack) it was only a hairline crack , but i only managed to solder it close on the third attempt, anybody have a better way of doing this than soldering them?? was thinking of trying araldite 2 pac glue or similar??

phosphorus brazing is what they use to make them although repairing a crack would seem a bit of a bodge to most

Loving the 2p coin idea! will commit that to memory! Have also had to repair cylinders, but really by the time one area of the cylinder has degraded, how likely is it that the rest is due to follow. The annoyance of fixing a leak only to fill it and find that it's not completely sealed and having to drain it again to re-solder takes for ever. Am toying with getting a single impeller pump to help draining cylnders.

RM Solar Cylinders made me a replacement for a Hercal (who wanted 7-10 days from flash to bang) with extra tappings wherever I wanted them, ordered at 3pm on the day and had it to PTS by 9am the next morning. Very good customer service.

Primatics are awful anyway (I have one in the house I rent) tell the customer to stop being so tight and get a proper system in!!

I have a little syphon thingy it's thing shaped like a little bottle fits in end of hose and has a marble in it drop in top if cylinder give a couple of tugs and water is syphoned out pretty quickly it's the best wee tool

hi all ,
anybody know how to repair a hole in a hw cylinder, had one today with a half inch crack in , it was a primatic cylinder in a small cupoard so didnt fancy replacing it, somebody had droped something on it and dented it (hence the crack) it was only a hairline crack , but i only managed to solder it close on the third attempt, anybody have a better way of doing this than soldering them?? was thinking of trying araldite 2 pac glue or similar??
lead stick and templars telux flux,drain it down, thoroughly clean and abrade the split use a moleskin to wipe the lead in

Last edited by a moderator:
be interesting if that plumbing glue works with a plate to cylinder?

I repaired/patched one which had been holed by a falling brick during a loft conversion by cutting a small piece of 22mm copper, hammering it flat then soldered it on. It was pure on-the-spot improvising which worked a treat but not something I'd like to do again.

to be honest the repair i made today looked a mess! but tank had the jacket to go over it , house is being redone in the next 2 years, so in a way its just a temp repair, was thinking of fiberglass filler? and try to really push it in the crack??

to be honest the repair i made today looked a mess! but tank had the jacket to go over it , house is being redone in the next 2 years, so in a way its just a temp repair, was thinking of fiberglass filler? and try to really push it in the crack??
Won't work. Copper will flex & crack will open up. Easiest way is soldering. A bar of solder & moleskin as Gas man said, is a long lasting fix. Just keep the area to solder hot enough as the cylinder will draw the heat away very fast & obviously keep it clean. Wipe it like a lead joint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to patching repair in hot water cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock