Search the forum,

Discuss Passing other plumbers work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

cr0ft

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. After some advice on how to handle this. At the moment, I've met (don't know at all really) another ex-military plumber in plumbfix. He doesn't seem to be as busy as our firm at the moment.

He is on about passing us electrical work if it comes in but I get the impression we will pass him much more work than the other way round.

I was wondering whether it would be acceptable to tell him we would like 10% of his charge to the customer for any leads we pass him (and obviously vice versa for electrical work he gives us) and if it turns out we are passing each other about the same amount of work we could drop the 10%.

Does this seem: -

A.) Fair.
B.) Not Fair.

If A, how would it be best administered, i.e. the collecting the money bit?

I don't really want to employ a plumber ourselves just yet, having just taken on a new apprentice.

Cheers to all for advice.

why not ask him if he's interested in doing subbie work. i'm in similar situation and finally found another plumber i reckon i can trust not to steal my cust's.

the one I gave all my work to when in hospital took the lot and the customers and 3 boiler intalls to boot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! never got so much as a thankyou

Grief :2guns:

I have never bought or paid anyone for a job I have rcvd/given.

If you recommend them as I do often, sparks, tilers, plasterers there all happy.

If you ask for 10% they will add it onto the bill, customer then thinks they are expensive and so might you be ???

Do you ever get much work back Kev? From my experience I don't. Hence my thoughts about the 10% really.

Do you ever get much work back Kev? From my experience I don't. Hence my thoughts about the 10% really.

I do yes, mostly small crap jobs but now and again a nice juicy one.

I do turn down a lot of the smaller stuff but it is nice to get the offer.

Sadly I dont have another plumb round here that I can recommend, such a shame. Some of my estate agents are crying out for a real plumbers rather than the odd-job johns round here.
I have a few mates who are also oil boiler service engineers and we often throw custards at each other, same with some chippy and sparks I know.
I definitely give away more than I get, but Im happy about it, they buy me a drink every now and then but are always there if I need them, and thats priceless.

Ive even thought about setting up a local trade club where we put together a local brochure for just trades recommending trades. But Im busy enough anyway :)

I just pass it on, if they gain from it then great as I cant do it, when they are busy they may do the same and so get extra business when I am quiet, get to pass it on when to busy. had a customer call once and had a go at me because I dint know any other plumbers that would come out the same day. You are being helpful whilst telling them to go away!! lol.

Only give away absolutely unviable jobs. Give to Subbies who have taken the biscuits and too thick to cost out job and realize its a looser !

saying that though, the bloke I send work to, never passes me any work and when he is really busy asks if I want to work for him and he will pay me ÂŁ100 and he earns, ÂŁ300-ÂŁ400 from me!!! hmm, thinking I ont bother passing it on from now on!!

Shame we don't partner up on the forum more?
i know masood and steve do sometimes!

I would if people were in my area and tried with gas safe but he wanted me to do all the work and get nothing for the privilege. not sure exactly what went wrong but anybody in bucks, let me know, would be happy to pass you on work when busy. turned 2 jobs away this morning.

I've got a few people I pass work onto and they do the same to me. I pick up a lot of work from other installers in the area who haven't got their LPG ticket. I normally just step in and help with the boiler and let them do the rest of the job.

I would be more than happy to partner up like I say but every time I've done it it has felt very one way! That and I don't think there are many other plumbers here from Lincoln.

No one up here in north east? Might partner up with me, myself and I?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Passing other plumbers work in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, We had an extension built seven years ago. Initially the builders' plumber connected the heating to the house system but this didn't work. The builder got him out again and he created a separate heating circuit from the boiler (ie one circuit for the house, the other for the extension)...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, A plumber did some work for me and has done so in the past as well and has been great which is why I hire him. Anyway the last job he did he overcharged me, caused a little damage in my kitchen where he was working and after many requests has not provided me with a receipt ( 7...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
60's ranch, with single bathroom. Tile over concrete slab. Toilet is about a foot from exterior brick wall. Vent pipe is in interior wall behind toilet. There's a concrete patio outside the bathroom, that extends about 10 feet from the wall. I'm considering adding an ADU in the back yard, and it...
Replies
Views
Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First job was to install a new boiler, and later install radiators, bathroom, kitchen, etc. The boiler was installed last September but not switched on as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock