Search the forum,

Discuss Overflow drip problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Unregistered

Hello expert plumbers,

I need some help. I've had two plumbers round to look at an overflow drip from a hot water tank up in the top floor of my house. The drip is constant yet sometimes more frequent when the heating comes on.

I previously had the immersion heater on 24/7; having been advised by the first plumber I could save money not doing this I switched to the hot water heating main system. It didn't fix the drip though. The second plumber serviced my boiler and also took a look. He cut off some pipe that was submerged in the tank and switched me back to the hot water system from immersion heater, however I don't get any hot water from this; it's lukewarm at best.

He suggested that I might have a hole in the coil in my cylinder. He can't do that until next year though. I switched the immersion back on because we didn't have any hot water and the drip is back. It's not coming through the copper pipe he cut though; it's coming up through a grey rubber pipe that also goes into the cold water tank on the same bit as the ball valve.

Is that pipe meant to leak?

To make matters worse the drip is outside my bedroom onto a plastic conservatory roof; thus keeping me up. I've laid a towel down but don't fancy going into the festive period with a constant drip.

Advice would be welcome. Have people seen this before?

Ps my cylinder was at 70 degrees but never heated up to that level with the hot water system on.

Please register with us and start a new thread to receive an answer to your question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Overflow drip problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. My home's Rheem water heater is dripping from the drain valve. It is strange as it seems to sometimes spit out some water and then stop and then occurs again. I have a little plastic bucket to collect the water, probably about 3 cups of water in a 24 hour period. I was doing some...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My son moved to a new build home in Cornwall last November. Yesterday evening he found a quantity of water beneath the Ideal Combi boiler and a steady water drip from the boiler. After clearing up and putting a container beneath the boiler, he went to bed. This morning the water drip had...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On further inspection I discovered that water was coming from boiler cupboard. On looking in boiler cupboard I found boiler has started leaking water...
Replies
Views
I have read of hot water cylinders being heated with a dual element immersion heater. The main principle being that a shorter element heats the top of the tank and then, subsequently, a longer element comes into play. With a bath/sink switch the longer element may be disabled. The topic of such...
Replies
Views
D
I’m wanting to replace the single handle cartridge on my basement shower since it no longer allows hot water (sink in same bathroom works fine). I have turn off the water main (at the sidewalk), cold water intake to water heater and opened up all other faucets in the house. However, the shower...
Replies
Views
DIYSAM
D
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock