Search the forum,

Discuss Non plumber bamboozlement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi. Here is my problem in a few words. In the attic of a 3 storey house we have a central heating boiler and a hot water tank. The next floor down has two shower rooms. The ground floor has kitchen, laundry and cloakroom. We have no cold water tank.

Yesterday morning after showering etc we discovered water pouring through the kitchen ceiling. Above that there was water pouring through one of the shower room ceilings. Above that in the attic there was water that seemed to be leaking from somewhere in the hot water tank. We turned off the mains supply and opened all the hot water taps. All taps are the mixer types. We live in the country and have one local plumber. He said he come round midday. He came and looked at it and said that the hot water tank had sprung a leak. He turned off a tap connecting the mains to the tank. The leakage into the rooms below stopped. He left us with mains water and heating and said he'd organise a new tank for us.

In the evening we noticed that water was running a little from some of the open hot taps on the ground floor. This morning only drips. But mid morning all the hot taps began to flow strongly with mains water. Then we heard water coming through the kitchen ceiling again. The hot tank, though closed off from the mains, was full of water. The plumber came again and cut off the inlet pipe. Still mains water gushed from the hot taps. He said that he thought that the shower units must be causing the mains water to cross over into the hot system and that we would need to buy a new "cartridge" for one or .mother of the showers. He then gave us the good news. He is off for a week's holiday tonight.

We have looked for any information on Hansgrohe showers and all we can find is that ours have " ibox universal " units. We really don't know what we are doing. Can anybody give us the slightest clue about which way is up? Many thanks in advance.

Right firstly, welcome along. Sorry to hear you're having problems. Sounds like you have an unvented cylinder which you are unfortunately not qualified to work on legally. Whereabouts in the country are you? Perhaps one of our members can come and lend a paw, maybe put a post here [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] if it seems to have done damage then it could even be one for your insurance company who will arrange for repairs

Thank you for that. Rest assured, we are absolutely not planning on doing any work ourselves! We are happy with our plumber and will wait for him to return from his hols and fit the new hot water tank for us.

Our real problem is we don't understand how mains water can be pouring out of our hot taps. He put it down to some sort of blowback inside the shower unit(s) occurring when the hot tank emptied and the mains pressure, being greater, pushing mains water into it. The problem for me is that the hot water tank is now not connected to anything but the hot taps are now connected to the mains!

As I know less than nothing about plumbing I'm finding it difficult to get my head round it all. I just wondered if anyone else had ever met a case of hot and cold taps both running with mains water following a burst hot tank and if so what the cure was.

Basically, your showers have a hot and cold connection, and a chamber where the two water streams mix before coming out of the shower handset or rose.

When the thermostatic cartridge fails, and if non-return valves have not been fitted (or have failed), then cold mains water can force it's way back through the shower valve and hot water pipework. This may be why your cylinder refilled and started leaking again.

Right thanks. So we need to buy a new thermostatic cartridge for an eight year old Hansgrohe shower in time for our plumber's return.

Are these usually a standard item that would fit all Hansgrohe showers or do they change much from model to model, do you think?

Getting the correct shower cartridge can be a nightmare if you don't know the exact make and model number.

Hmm. Of course! How did I know that was going to be the answer....

All we have to go on is the installation booklet which is in a dozen languages and shows how to set up every kind of Hansgrohe shower on the planet. Do you think the model number might have been helpfully written inside the unit where nobody can see it?

Oh, missed your post. Thank you very much. :)

As above, give showerdoc a call. They're extremely knowledgeable in these matters.

As I see it not only turning off the cold supply to the hot water cylinder he should have capped off the hot supply so there was no back flow, are any of your taps mixer taps as they could be causing the back flow,if the hot water supply hasn't been turned off and the mains water is still turned on, the hot tank must still be filling and leaking,I wouldn't waste good time and money messing about with the shower, get the hot water capped off.

Surprised no one mentioned it but check that your local plumber has a G3 certification, ask to see it, if he has ok if not he cannot legally work on your system. Also as said you really should get your insurers involved now.

Thanks for that Radioman. Yes he's all OK.

The insurance company say that the broken tank is wear and tear so no help there. And the damage to the house is so far only cosmetic so the excess is more than the cost of repair.

Insurance eh?

Thanks for that Radioman. Yes he's all OK.

The insurance company say that the broken tank is wear and tear so no help there. And the damage to the house is so far only cosmetic so the excess is more than the cost of repair.

Insurance eh?

I doubt very much that the damage is cosmetic. Yes the tank is wear and tear but I wouldn't assume the damage is minor. You may think so now but when it dries out you will see shrinkage and cracks. Good news if your man has a G3 just make sure you get the paperwork.
http://youtu.be/61uDmQF5I2E

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Non plumber bamboozlement in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock