Search the forum,

Discuss Noisy pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RonnieR

My brother in law has a toilet which in his words "screeches" when flushed. I presume he means the pipework to the cistern is making the racket when refilling. If he turns the bath taps on in the same bathroom at the same time it doesn't happen. Any idea's?

Sounds like its a direct cold water supply {of the main} Possible the float valve in the wc has the wrong orifice in it and someone has turned back the ballofix on the water supply pipe to restrict the flow rate. This would cause a screaching sound as the high pressure water passes through it.

Is the toilet mains fed or from a cold water storage tank?

Beat me to it ;)

you can sometimes crack the ball o fix to the ball valve to quieten it down as it seems the toilet is mains fed

or you can purchase a quiet fill valve

or fit a pressure reducing valve to your incomibng mains and crack the pressure dwon to 2.3 - 3.0 bar

It works like somebody whistling. You pucker your lips together and blow, the harder you blow the louder the noise. The ball valve orifice acts like the lips. :)

My brother in law has a toilet which in his words "screeches" when flushed. I presume he means the pipework to the cistern is making the racket when refilling. If he turns the bath taps on in the same bathroom at the same time it doesn't happen. Any idea's?

Sound like a mains fed system, water to the cistern and the bath..that when you demand more water water to run a bath, the noise stops due to the flow on demand of more water.
Hope you understand that, well I'll keep an i out for your progress!!!

i came across this problem only the other day, it was on an old w/c and was caused by scale build up in the old brass part1 ball valve outlet.

hope this helps

kj:D

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorted this the other day for a customer. Replaced the low pressure red seats with the high pressure white seats on all float valves.

Think maybe over thinking,pursume used to be ok,just replace ball valve washer,should correct siduation,the washer becomes hard and scaled up and does not open fully when ball float drops causing restriction and noise
as said sound stops when you turn bath tap on as you are also reducing water pressure at ball valve

Had one a the other month I changed when doing another job as making so much loud noise ,when customer came back and used thought I had broken toilet, it had been making so much noise ,she thought there was a macerator unit behind w/c, been like that for over a year since they moved in

Thought I may of got a tip but alas not to be

Mind you always say if you get a tip it means you have under charged so must not complain :p

i would have pulled out the scaled up mancky part 1 and whack a nice new fluid master in there thats quiet fill problem solved and customer happy

It's a real pain when this happens, can be annoying at night time... Best to get it sorted out before he loses too much sleep!

it seems to be a common problem on older wc's i agree with Tom, thats prob the best solution in the long term.

Hi

Just after some advice, i fitted a new ball cock in my loft tank as the old was letting by.
The original one was a brass part 1 ball valve,so i replaced with the same valve.
I am now getting flow noise from the rising main pipe when the loft tank refills,idont remember it being that noisy when i moved in a few months ago.

Should i fit a part 2 ball valve .....any ideas

Definitely a mains fed system problem by the soud of it. Did you check that already? Take a look at the flow demand as it seems like that might be the problem.

Definitely a mains fed system problem by the soud of it. Did you check that already? Take a look at the flow demand as it seems like that might be the problem.

I fixed it in the end. It was a round rubber piece inside the flushing mechanism which creates suction which was the problem. I replaced that and it fixed it.

I fixed this; it was a problem in the flushing mechanism; a black round suction cup. I replaced that and it fixed the problem :)

Think maybe over thinking,pursume used to be ok,just replace ball valve washer,should correct siduation,the washer becomes hard and scaled up and does not open fully when ball float drops causing restriction and noise
as said sound stops when you turn bath tap on as you are also reducing water pressure at ball valve

Had one a the other month I changed when doing another job as making so much loud noise ,when customer came back and used thought I had broken toilet, it had been making so much noise ,she thought there was a macerator unit behind w/c, been like that for over a year since they moved in

Thought I may of got a tip but alas not to be

Mind you always say if you get a tip it means you have under charged so must not complain :p
I agree with tis very common and always sorts problem for me

Dammit I got a tenner tip today mind you the supposed "toilet service" turned into a new tiolet and it's a really nice job well proud of it as my neighbour recommended me and I have not only done myself proud but also the Boss Man, you see the old toilet leaked like a sieve and the cistern didn't match the pan it had also been cemented inn and the concrete floor was micro the floor screed.

So I used some anchorset to hold the rawl plugs inn bit hard to explain but it passed my Boss's strict standards and as I am banned from his site (allergic to cats, and they have 3) I have bought some of my own jobs inn for him as he pays me regardless and I thought it was the most honest thing to do, But he dropped me £30 and I got a tenner tip and I only charged £178 for the job.....

Toilet and pan £80
pan conn £10
flex conn £8
small piece of copper and pipe and off van consumables silicone screws ect £5
total £103

and 5 x 15 labour as this was more in depth than just replace "like for like" ic, the old one was bottom exit poo pipe and the new one wasn't so it and to be built off the wall ect and I even painted it for Mrs...

The end result is a VERY happy customer who Will call me back again....

You views please

Dammit I got a tenner tip today mind you the supposed "toilet service" turned into a new tiolet and it's a really nice job well proud of it as my neighbour recommended me and I have not only done myself proud but also the Boss Man, you see the old toilet leaked like a sieve and the cistern didn't match the pan it had also been cemented inn and the concrete floor was micro the floor screed.

So I used some anchorset to hold the rawl plugs inn bit hard to explain but it passed my Boss's strict standards and as I am banned from his site (allergic to cats, and they have 3) I have bought some of my own jobs inn for him as he pays me regardless and I thought it was the most honest thing to do, But he dropped me £30 and I got a tenner tip and I only charged £178 for the job.....

Toilet and pan £80
pan conn £10
flex conn £8
small piece of copper and pipe and off van consumables silicone screws ect £5
total £103

and 5 x 15 labour as this was more in depth than just replace "like for like" ic, the old one was bottom exit poo pipe and the new one wasn't so it and to be built off the wall ect and I even painted it for Mrs...

The end result is a VERY happy customer who Will call me back again....

You views please

Well done. But too cheap....15 per hour? Need to add at least a tenner :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

"Noisy pipes" - this is one popular subject - 14590 views! And still counting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noisy pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock