Discuss Noise when first running hot water on unvented hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

afjafj

We have an unvented hot water system which was working fine until just over a year ago in our 8 year old house.
The boiler comes on once a day to heat the hot water in the early morning and we noticed that the first time we turn the water on after this, we get a loud and distinctive noise from the airing cupboard. The noise actually sounds like someone hitting the pipework hard and quickly repeatedly and usually goes on for about a second, but has been known to go on for 5 or 6 seconds occasionally (I have videos of this if it helps). This only happens the first time the hot water is turned on after the boiler has run. We notice that, in combination with the noise the hot water pressure drops from an initial high, down to a slightly lower pressure, which is then the pressure we receive at all other times.

The local plumber came out and suspected the non-return valve on the cold mains feed and so replaced it, which did not make a difference. On following visits, on the instructions of the cylinder manufacturers, he changed the pipework to the expansion vessel from a flexible hose to copper pipe and then moved the T connection closer to the pressure reducing valve. Finally he tried replacing the expansion vessel (a total of about 5 visits). All of these changed the character of the noise in various ways (it would be longer, shorter, make a noise when turning off the water as well as on) but never solved the problem.

Just recently, we also occasionally hear a much quieter version of the noise when the boiler first turns on to heat the hot water - not sure how long after the boiler turns on because I'm usually half-asleep.

There are some related facts as well. About 8 months before we first had this problem, we had a water softener fitted. This has reduced the cold water pressure slightly, but I have tried taking the softener out of circuit and it doesn't help with the noise. We have also noticed our mains water pressure into the house has reduced considerably. We used to get around 2.2-2.5 bar and now we get about 1.3-1.4 bar. I've checked with neighbours and they are getting the same pressure we are.

Has anyone experienced anything like this or got any theories as what it could be? Is it likely to be related to the reduced water pressure, and if so, is there anything we can do about it?

Mods am I ok with this,

Your pressure is very low and may well be the problem, get the engineers back and lower the ex vessel pressure to the same as the incoming water.

this could be caused by water hammer inside the cylinder on the heating coil. It's caused by a combination of the heating coil not being supported very well and there being too much flow through the coil. I had this happen with a brand new cylinder i fitted last year. as soon as the 2 port opens and the boiler fires a loud humming would travel throughout the heating system. It is cured by fitting a gate valve on the heating return pipe out of the cylinder and then throttling the flow down till the vibrating stops.

Yup, I had the same thing with a newly installed Gledhill cylinder, coil poorly supported, sounded like a train!

If this is a poorly supported coil in the cylinder I will show my arse on the town hall steps.
It's a popular unvented problem , I have seen and heard hundreds of times , It s mainly down to pressure and flow, vessel seizing and location, and the size of the pipe from the ICS to the vessel , hot water temp, they can turn into a nightmares to sort.

We have also noticed our mains water pressure into the house has reduced considerably. We used to get around 2.2-2.5 bar and now we get about 1.3-1.4 bar. I've checked with neighbours and they are getting the same pressure we are.

If it worked fine before for 8 years then it will work again! I'd start with asking the water board to investigate the reduction in pressure. Also make sure your own outside stopcock is fully open. Once you've got to the same starting position you had a year ago before this started then you can do what the other lads have said.

As townfnjon metioned, it sounds like the expanion vessel - check the pressure is correct, and not too high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Noise when first running hot water on unvented hot water system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

hello we have an unvented system. we have an issue where the hot water is hot for 10 seconds and then luke warm, turn off taps / wait and turn...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester Greenstar gas boiler circa 2017. There has been a noise coming from the boiler which resembles running water, I have checked...
Replies
Views
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
I have a problem with noise and vibrations from my shower when i first turn it on. The problem lasts for about 30 seconds after the shower is...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a strange grating noise when the mains water is running in a property I'm looking after. It's a ground floor flat, with a first floor...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock