Discuss New Plumber NEEDS HELP!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

vannie25

Hey guys,I am a 27 year old man who live in Taunton,Somerset who has just finished a level 2 city and guilds evening plumbing course whilst working nights in some crappy supermarket.I really want to get out of this dead end job and start a job which i would enjoy with prospects and a job i would not be embrassed to tell people what I do for a living.From the start of the year I have been sending out cover letters/c.v to plumbing companies in bristol and surrounding areas and have so far send out around 30 letters.I have put in the letters I would be willing to relocate to acheive my goal of becoming a plumber,I looking to relocate within 50 miles of my daughter which leaves me with a big scope of area whichs includes big towns and cities(Bristol,Bath,Yeovil,Wells).But so far I have had no responses and I am beginning to wonder if I have made the wrong career choice,maybe my age is holding me back,am i too old to be taken on as a new starter(27 years old).

I would appreciate if any one had any hints or tips and if they knew any one my age who got in to the trade.

Thanks for your time
Jonathan

Iam not saying that in the letters but i would want to work full time even on min wage just to pay the rent.Do u think the only way is of getting a chance is to offer my self to work for free for a couple of days a week.

What companies have you tried in the Bristol area, I live in Bristol and may be able to help.

I know the company I work for has a site of around 60 flats/commercial units but its only just ticking over at the moment, may be a possibility in the near future.

Because I don't live in the Bristol area I've just relied on goggle,is there any big companies maybe i could try.
Can I ask did u start plumbing straight out of school at 16yrs or did u start later on in life

I started straight from school, worked with a college lecturers son throughout my apprenticeship (earning about 50p a hour) then moved onto the company I'm with at the moment, who I've been with for nearly 5 years.

You can try - Gas World - 0117 366 0684, Gregor Heating - 0117 239 8525, Stuart Flynn Heating - 0117 9085383, P J Price - 0117 9783330, Blue Flame - 0117 9391389, DHS Heating - 0117 924 7200.

Thats a few I can think of, I'll ask my boss tomorrow and see what he says and I'll post back on here for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
why done you just put a little add in the paper shops an so on. do jobs for family friends
people you work with and build up a little portfolio and then look for jobs while building up experance so that any employer that you can be bothered and are trying to cope on ur own.... who knows you may be able too cope on your own

I have done the same as you, went to night collage and got NVQ2, at the moment no one is tacking on, i put my name around and do all the little jobs most plumbers wont do cos there to small, leaking taps, blocked wast pips, ect, while still doing a full time job, this keeps your hand in, and if you do a good job your name soon starts to get passed around, by the people you do jobs for, this will keep you going till things get better, and you can get what you want, plus the extra money helps.

Have you tried John West Contractors Limited in WSM? Not too far for you and a reasonable size firm that may be able to help

I have done the same as you, went to night collage and got NVQ2, at the moment no one is tacking on, i put my name around and do all the little jobs most plumbers wont do cos there to small, leaking taps, blocked wast pips, ect, while still doing a full time job, this keeps your hand in, and if you do a good job your name soon starts to get passed around, by the people you do jobs for, this will keep you going till things get better, and you can get what you want, plus the extra money helps.

can u get an nvq2 in night collage with out having a work placement? thanks

You can get the Level 2 Tech 6129 at college and for NVQ part you'll need some work to be assessed in the 'real workplace' - a couple of bathrooms, a bit of guttering and the odd valve.
I think the qualification is changing soon and have heard you'll need work placement.

I beleve this is true, but if you ring round and find a plunber who will let you work with him/her one day a week for free, you can get round this problem, not the best but its worth it in the end.

Just do what you can, little repair jobs etc. to gain experience. Dont charge too much and dont take on anything that you dont feel comfortable with. This is how I started after finishing my course and slowly built up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New Plumber NEEDS HELP!!!! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper...
Replies
Views
Hi guys....we have an old Astracast sink top....I think its a composite sink....has a big single bowl. My wife thinks it looks scruffy....looks...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock