Search the forum,

Discuss New guy in South London looking for a career change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrewm1981

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Hi all,[/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]After working 17 years in retail (I'm 34 now), I think it's time for a career change. I earn decent money, but have zero job satisfaction and really dislike my job. I seem to tick all the attributed needed to be a domestic gas engineer ( problem solving ability, great customer service, great work ethic) plus I've always wanted to work for myself and this seems to be a good career move. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]So here I am. Thinking of quitting my job, embarking on a 6 month full time training course, then building up enough experience to go it alone. The experience building aspect will be the hardest, but with enough tenacity I hope I can find someone who will help me. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Im going to post a longer thread on the gas forum/board, but in the meantime if there's any tips you can fire my way, I'd appreciate it :)[/COLOR]

Andrew

To many post on here with folk thinking of doing what you are thinking of doing.
If you are serious about this, then it will take you years to get up to being a decent gas engineer especially if you want to do breakdowns ( cust usually not happy at you throwing parts at the boiler ). Oh and you could end up doing the course and never find anyone to give you the experience

Hope you don't think that doing a 6 Mth course is all that is required ! have you been watching someone fix your boiler and thought that looks a nice easy job , 6 Mths you won't even begin to understand the different type of systems or controls, How long do you think its going to take you to become gas safe registered? You need to look at what is involved, if your lucky enough to get registered be ready to take a massive fall in earnings

Hi, thanks for the replies. I have been unhappy in my job for a while, and although I can tolerate working weekends, shift work, and 13 hour days I don't want to be doing that when I'm 65. So I need to make the change at some point. My strengths are a logical mind, great customer service, a strong desire to run my own business, a great work ethic and some capital behind me to get started.

Would the best route be to discuss with local businesses and tradesmen to see if there was anyone willing to help me with my portfolio in 6 months time. Then embark on the course, to make me qualified essentially. This would take 6 months it seems, including 4 months of on the job training. Then develop my practical skills with the local tradesmen earning not very much at all for 18months-2 years, before I start to think about getting a paid job with a firm for 2-3 years. I would then look to become self employed when I've got 5 years experience behind me.

I know in theory things can be very different to reality, but in your experience would you say I'm fairly near to the mark?

Thanks in advance, this would be a massive change in my life, and I want to be 100% sure I'm making the right decision

Andrew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to New guy in South London looking for a career change in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, looking to gain experience as a plumber's mate in London/Essex area, full driving licence. Looking for a step into domestic plumbing. looking for a change in my career and get into the the domestic plumbing world. I have 6 years experience working with commercial boilers, with skills...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I am a junior plumber based in South East London (Zone 1), but can get to most areas quite easily. In terms of Qualifications I have completed level 2 Diploma in Plumbing and Heating with 1 years experience working as an emergency response engineer primarily carrying out maintenance...
Replies
Views
Hi I need some advice as this has been ongoing since august and nobody can find a problem but meantime water is damaging my walls. The lady upstairs had a plumber in July who relocated her washbasin shower and fitted a new radiator.He caused a bad leak and came to fix it in august and I thought...
Replies
Views
I currently work in an office job on mid 20's salary and hate being chained to the desk. Looking for a career change to become a gas and heating engineer. I have came across various courses which offer retraining such as the below...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in 2011. The first thing I done after secondary school was gain my Domestic Plumbing and Heating City and Guilds Level 2 and then 3 at college. However...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock