Search the forum,

Discuss 26 and trying to get back into the Plumbing industry with a Level 2 + 3 C&G. Finding it difficult! Please help. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone I really hope you can help me. I'm 26 now and live in London, I've been doing a bit of career hopping since leaving school at 16 in 2011. The first thing I done after secondary school was gain my Domestic Plumbing and Heating City and Guilds Level 2 and then 3 at college. However, due to me not knowing what I wanted to do with my life I ended up going to college and then university for something else unrelated (creative media) which I fell out of love with. I graduated in late 2017, I worked in retail from that point to present but combined my part-time hours with working on the bins for my local council and they work in conjunction perfectly. However there is a ceiling to both and I've become a lot more money and career driven in the recent year, I want to develop a skill which I can build from, my interest in getting back into Domestic Plumbing and eventually Gas has kept growing since mid-way through my university studies and I'm so eager now but I feel like I'm in a tricky situation. I feel so useless working two unskilled jobs and like I wasted a good career path.

So I haven't retained much of my theory knowledge from exactly a decade ago now when I started my Level 2 C&G, nor much practical knowledge either. My Level 3 course was absolutely horrendous as there was some sort of change in the course structure or something (basically things were up in the air) during it, my one day a week course involved absolutely no practical in the end and I think we took false pictures of completed work to pass. Again, both these Levels were completed nearly a decade ago so I'm basically a total novice again although I might pick things up quickly. But, I have the qualifications to my name therefore an apprenticeship wouldn't make much sense or it may serve in my favour as I wouldn't need to formal education to gain the certificate?

Also, I couldn't live on an apprentice wage. I'm only earning 25k at the moment with both jobs combined and I could stoop down and afford to live on about 18-19k I believe.

I have no idea what to do. If it's pointless applying for apprenticeships, or if I should call Plumbing company's directly and explain my situation?. I feel like the fact I spent two years acquiring those qualifications should pay dividends in some respect even if I have forgotten much of the knowledge. But in some ways, I feel like I'm in a worse situation now that I'm older and have more outgoings. If you lovely people could help me out I'd appreciate it so much. Thank you!!!

You need to lower your expectations. You might have the bits of paper but even you say the knowledge is gone yet you want at least 18 or 19k a year.

No pain no gain.

Plumbers mate to start and go from there. Just my opinion though.
Thank you. I think that sounds good. I've called a couple places today and one guy said he'd be happy to meet me Friday to potentially shadow him. I've also had a nice chap recommend a local gas course to get gas safe qualified as that was my long term goal initially when I started my plumbing qualifications. Do you think that could be a good route in also? I'd like to be able to work on all aspects of domestic plumbing, heating and gas.

Reply to 26 and trying to get back into the Plumbing industry with a Level 2 + 3 C&G. Finding it difficult! Please help. in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock