Search the forum,

Discuss 29 years old and looking for a career change - any advice is welcome in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I currently work in an office job on mid 20's salary and hate being chained to the desk.
Looking for a career change to become a gas and heating engineer.
I have came across various courses which offer retraining such as the below:

Does anyone know if this is a viable course? Will companies actually be willing to hire someone off the back of this course?

Any advice is welcome as I don't want to pay 8k for a useless course.

I currently work in an office job on mid 20's salary and hate being chained to the desk.
Looking for a career change to become a gas and heating engineer.
I have came across various courses which offer retraining such as the below:

Does anyone know if this is a viable course? Will companies actually be willing to hire someone off the back of this course?

Any advice is welcome as I don't want to pay 8k for a useless course.

Are you sure you can jump straight into a Gas Foundation course - I think you’ll need to get your C&G or NVQ level 2 first?

Are you sure you can jump straight into a Gas Foundation course - I think you’ll need to get your C&G or NVQ level 2 first?

I changed career from an office job like you (I was 35 though!!). If you hate your job then do it, I absolutely love what I do now and have never looked back.

Saying that though, don’t for a minute think that you can go to college, get qualified and go straight out and earn money. You learn the very basics in college - nothing prepares you for going into peoples homes and looking at a load of pipes you have no idea about!!! It’s very daunting but once you get your head round it it’s a dream!! The same with wiring - S plan/Y plan/Underfloor heating........it used to make me want to cry.

Then I would say you will not be employable you will be self employed at best unless you are lucky and find an apprentice type role

Experience counts for far more than qualification and is far harder to gain. You do need quals but you need experience more. Imo. Good luck.
Also this is thread from march 2021!! 😂😂

Last edited:

Reply to 29 years old and looking for a career change - any advice is welcome in the Gas Engineers Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock