Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Installation of Surrey / Essex Flange - Into existing cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chrismw1989

Hi,

Im installing a bathroom and the shower i have selected will need to have a pump installed to provide sufficient pressure. I have purchased a Stuart Turner 2.0 bar monsoon pump. I plan to cite this in the airing cupboard.

We have a traditional vented hot water system with cold water storage tank in the loft and a hot water cylinder in the airing cupboard. Ideally i want to re use the existing cylinder for now rather than installing new.

So my questions are as follows:

1. Essex or Surrey Flange - I'm leaning towards a surrey flange as i think this would be easier to install rather than draining the entire system down. In addition im not sure how easy the immersion heater would come out if i went down the route of installing an Essex flange? Any comments appreciated...

2. Here is a picture of the existing installation. I believe that the tank has a male connector, and therefore a surrey flange (With female thread) would fit straight in. Is there any way of telling from the attached photo?
IMG_1092.jpg

This is the first time ive installed one of these, albeit im fairly hands on when it comes to the DIY front. Hopefully the install is fairly straight forward.

Any other comments would be appreciated that i should take on board.

Please let me know if you need any other info to comment.

Thanks
Chris

your going to have to drain the water storage vessel in the attic anyhow to install a cold feed to the shower pump, and when you do this youll be able to install the surrey flange. Just have lots of towels and know what valves you need to turn to isolate if things leak.

You don't take the immersion out to fit an essex flange.

A tin opener and a spanner are all you need (a pencil comes in handy too :smile:)

ha ha missed that about the immersion, you lose the surrey flange if you drop it in that hole, best you call a plumber:)

Thanks for the replies.

From on the instructions I had read online it seemed to suggest that to install an essex flange you needed to remove the immersion heater to drop the valve and washer I'm through the centre on a metal wire?

Is it possible to just install the essex flange via the hole drilled in the side? If so this may not be as complicated as I first thought.

Noted about out draining the cold water tank.

Thanks

It fits in through the hole you drill using a split washer and a wire to hold it.

You'll be easier with a Surrey. The treads on your cylinder are female.

Essex flange is less restrictive and arguably will pull less air into the pump than a top mounted flange. Salamander state the S flange can't be used on some of their more powerful pumps due to it being quite restrictive compared to the Essex flange. An Essex flange is, as Plumbstar says, a bit trickier to fit. That said though, I would be comfortable getting my apprentice to do one so I wouldn't say they are that tricky.

That cylinder looks old and leaky and is prob full of scale so I'd suggest just replace with a new stainless one which will come with a secondary tapping for your pump.

Also isn't that stat a bit high?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Installation of Surrey / Essex Flange - Into existing cylinder in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm in my new build 2 years and the shower pump has died. I have an air to water unit downstairs is in the utility which I've been told is...
Replies
Views
D
Had a plumber here for 4 hours today to fit a shower pump. He disconnected the hot water outlet from the top of the tank and after 3 adapters for...
Replies
Views
I have a vented hot-water cylinder that was installed when the house was built - 38 years ago! It has a header tank in the loft and the cylinder...
Replies
Views
I need to install a pumped shower, connected to a gravity system. Hot water is in an direct cylinder on the first floor, and CWST is on the...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock