Discuss I am confused. Beginning plumbing training. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

macpi4u

Hello All,

I just enrolled in the City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate (6129) (8 week course), ACS gas and Domestic Electrical Installer incl. Part P. I was trying to find out once I finish the following course work will I have a good chance of being employed in the plumbing industry or should I change up my course work.
I was told if I take the ACE Gas course I really would not need to do the NVQ. Is this true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate,
I can only go by my own qualifications. I finished my C+G 6129 and NVQ 2 back in May and no-one will touch me. It took me 18-months to complete and I'm still classed as have done a fast track course which is something companies don;t want to know about.
Of course there is also the slow down in the industry. All these house building comapnies that have shut down or slowed down have layed off plumbers who are now either working for their selves or applying for the few jobs that are out there.

I can only hope for you the Gas qualification will help you.

Good luck with it all mate.

Thanks Tosh,

I was speaking with a counselor today are Career Advise and they advised me that I would need to go through the NVQ in order to do and thing with gas. So it looks like I need to amend my course. I did not realise that this course was so looked down upon. I have already committed my money. I just hope someone allows me the opportunity to prove that I am a fast learner and a handworker. I am from American and we don't have to go through this type of training. If you go thought a course, then you work on a job site for a few years to gain my knowledge. I never knew it would be so different here.
Are you currently working now in the industry?

we have said it for ages on this board that plumbers dont want to touch newly qualified, straight out of training especially if they only have a 6129, why should they? if they have a choice they will go for somebody with experieince, theres so many with 6129's now that are newly qualified you are in the pot with 1,000s of others. dont listen to people charging 4k+ that the jobs are there they are not
learn4skills advert is misleading IMO

we have said it for ages on this board that plumbers dont want to touch newly qualified, straight out of training especially if they only have a 6129, why should they? if they have a choice they will go for somebody with experieince, theres so many with 6129's now that are newly qualified you are in the pot with 1,000s of others. dont listen to people charging 4k+ that the jobs are there they are not
learn4skills advert is misleading IMO

Its all very well sitting in a big chair and looking down and frowning and being critical on those who maybe don't have any other choice but to retrain.
these people don't know what is required to be a plumber.maybe you could list it for them starting with someone who is not in work and has no money or 0 level's/GCSE to help him get a job :what advise would you give to help him achieve his NVQ L3

Hi
There is a lot of confusion as to what qualifications are needed to gain employment. Even the training companies contradict themselves. Can I ask what company you are training with (PM me if you prefer) I am asking as I am currently in dispute with the company that did my 6129

jesus do none of u use a search engine before shelling out thousands of pounds
THERE IS NO SHORTAGE OF PLUMBERS
COMPANIES DONT WANT TO TAKE 0N A 10 WEEKER AND PAY HIM A LIVING WAGE
THE COURSE COSTS ARE ONLY THE START
THEN THERE IS VAN/INS/LIABILITY INS/TOOLS COST/ADVERTISING
COMPANIES CAN TAKE THEIR PICK OF PLUMBERS WITH EXPERIENCE YOU WILL NEED YEARS OF NURTURING BEFORE BEING LET LOOSE ON YOUR OWN
SORRY TO BE HARSH AND I HAVE USED CAPS LOCK TO GET THE POINT ACCROSS TO OTHERS
DO A HGV /PSV OR SOMETHING ELSE YOU WILL HAVE WASTED YOUR MONEY TRYING TO BE A QUICK FIT FITTER

I've recently completed 6129 level 2 and bpec unvented.I am fortunate that I'm living in my father's place,as he works away and only comes home for 2 weeks a year.I was made redundant in the construction industry just as I passed my course,and decided to go out on my own.I bought tools as I was progressing,and bought a van with redundancy money. I must say though it has been very slow for me since going it alone, and I'm finding it hard just to raise enough money from jobs to pay running costs(public liability,van ins,tool cover,diesel and advertising etc)and everday living costs.I'm able to go with it as I don't have mortgage/rent or kids.Other people with mortgage etc, may find it difficult to keep going in this situation.
I think the course etc was brilliant and the industry as well(I wish I had got into this when I left school), but you have to weigh everything up.
You may have contacts/luck from the offset, if so good luck, otherwise be cautious.
All the best.
P.S notice the time of day I posted this message( as I haven't got any work)

Basically its simple.

First you get some recognized training hopefully working in the industry, as harsh as it seems employers do want experienced people. A City and Guilds at any level many not be enough without the experience to go with it.

The Gas certification such as ACS can be compared to knowledge testing not training. And once again its experience plus the certification that counts.

In my working years as a Plumber, all most employers asked you was "Who did you work for before?" That was it. Give the names of know companies or at least companies in the game and tell them you have got your ACS modules and usually your in, at first base.

The next step, is that, they usually give you, experienced Plumber or not, 3 months trial, if no good out you go.

The thing with the local and even national Plumbing industry is its like a little village and Plumbers know one another or the companies they worked for. So if you say you worked for Rolls Royce for a few years, they assume your top notch because they feel Rolls Royce would only employ top people.

How you manage to do this, with no work about is anybodies guess. But if you can get any sort of work keep an eye on what sort of work you do. Then you can say to an employer "I have worked on, say, bathrooms installs and kitchen fitting" If they do similar work they may take you on.

Don't worry to much about certificates except getting your ACS Gas. Though others are nice to have, they are not really necessary as much as experience and acs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to I am confused. Beginning plumbing training. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock