Discuss Huge DIY bodge up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

WHPES

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Got called out yesterday to a system overflowing. It was one of those DIY efforts - there were 6 header tanks / cisterns in 3 loftspaces. The main DHW header consisted of 2 20-gallon ones linked together (with one of them stagnant). There was an oil boiler with indirect cylinder at one end of the house and a direct cylinder fed from immersion at the other. The previous occupant had put gate valves on the inlet and outlet of each cylinder and a pipe linking the outlets of both, with a valve on it. In the past, someone had turned off the valves to the indirect cylinder and the water had expanded and popped the bottom out, forcing it up and distorting all the pipework. Plastic pipe was literally draped over nails on roof timbers like a festoon. The huge stretch of CH pipework is all in 15mm so the end rads don't work properly. There are 2 working header tanks I never managed to work out what they were for.

Anyway the guy has had nothing but trouble with it and so I think I've managed to convince him to have a complete system replacement.

Jesus, at least you will get a nice load of scrap out of it, thank god you managed to tell him to get a new install, it sounds like a nightmare to try and put it all right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Huge DIY bodge up in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back