Discuss How do I become Gas Safe trained and registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

panamajack

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to become gas safe registered, including what course to go on and how to register, please?

Thanks in advance.

Can anyone give me a step by step guide on how to become gas safe registered, including what course to go on and how to register, please?

Thanks in advance.

I take it you have no experience in gas or related trade?

The ACS is desinged for people who are experienced installers or people with a related trade qualification wishing to also gain gas quals.

Therefore you need to complete a full gas qual at level 3 (NVQ or new diploma) or related qualificatio such as plumbing or H&V. Then you will also need to provide signed evidence of working with a registered gas installer of 240 days work on a variety of gas works including boilers, fires, water heaters, cookers, pipework, testing, purging etc etc etc

This help?

I take it you have no experience in gas or related trade?

The ACS is desinged for people who are experienced installers or people with a related trade qualification wishing to also gain gas quals.

Therefore you need to complete a full gas qual at level 3 (NVQ or new diploma) or related qualificatio such as plumbing or H&V. Then you will also need to provide signed evidence of working with a registered gas installer of 240 days work on a variety of gas works including boilers, fires, water heaters, cookers, pipework, testing, purging etc etc etc

This help?
be hard pushed to find any water heaters these days dont think ive touched one for four years i didnt bother taking it as an element when i renewed although im sure theres some lurking around
i used to love them as well diaphrams and pilots provided a lot of work
realy ive never seen why they were a seperate element any way

Last edited:
letsbe realistic, go to college, get on an apprentaship scheme, do your 4 years at college and work alongside a professional during this time, stay with the company 5 years plus then go and work for yourself.

Be aware, I saw 4 new plumbers vans in my area this week alone, there aint enough work out there at present, and the housing market doesnt need more £70,000 a year hopefuls.

still want to do plumbing, good luck, go to college and take their advice.

or you could go the quick route spend thousands, get your gas safe, get your acs and then find no work....

everyone wants experience.....

be hard pushed to find any water heaters these days dont think ive touched one for four years i didnt bother taking it as an element when i renewed although im sure theres some lurking around
i used to love them as well diaphrams and pilots provided a lot of work
realy ive never seen why they were a seperate element any way

true they are all but gone...... strictly speaking your suppose to have some expereince of them before taking initial ACS but in reality its hard.

if you take your reassessment all your elements should be renewed anyway, usually a one off fee, yours should still be on your card regardless

letsbe realistic, go to college, get on an apprentaship scheme, do your 4 years at college and work alongside a professional during this time, stay with the company 5 years plus then go and work for yourself.

Be aware, I saw 4 new plumbers vans in my area this week alone, there aint enough work out there at present, and the housing market doesnt need more £70,000 a year hopefuls.

still want to do plumbing, good luck, go to college and take their advice.

I am sorry but I do not buy into the above advice, as there are a lot of Qualified people out there frightened to allow anyone else into this proffession.
I am City & Guilds level 2 + 3 certified (both 6089), we also had to do the unvented certificate, water regs assesment cert etc.

When it came to work through the Gas portfolio (which I will add, was discussed with this person in detail before I even went to join the Level 3 course at college due to the financial impact etc), I was let down by this said tradesman when it came to working through / signing off my Gas work, so now I am in a very difficult position to be able to get to Gas Safe registry.

The reasons behind it were that the other plumbers in town were placing too much presure on him - and advising him that there is not enough work in the town for them as it is (as you have basically stated above - so you have also inadvertantly said the same thing).

I feel that the UK Gas Qualified plumbers should seriously be taken to task over there 'Boys Club' antics, as price fixing is illegal - which is what you are all doing by limiting who can become Gas Qualified.

Competition is clearly something that the UK Gas Qualified Plumbers are scared of - as is clearly shown by the lack of people willing to help another get through the course.

Also - are we not seeing a move that it is the company that is registered more and more today, which I would then question how this is going to help the original postee get qualified?
He / She will still have to find someone to sign off their work - which is like pulling teeth in todays environment.

I agree we have seen an increase in people thinking that they can earn the marvelous figures in salary, but your part of the problem that is adding to this issue by limiting the numbers of Qualified people coming through the trade.
To add to the comment you made about monetary gains however - you could earn substantially more if people were prepared to work for a living. How often do we see so called tradesmen start late in the morning, pack up at 4.30 as their day is finished?

If there were more Gas Safe qualified people coming through, then the trade would not be seen as so lucrative to others. Competition would be on an equal playing field etc etc.

I feel the qualified among you already know this - hence why they make it extremely difficult for anyone to get into the Gas side of the trade.

Jay

PS - sorry that my first post is like the above, but there are always two sides to this debate. One of which has left me where many others have ended up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i think its more a case of gas is dangerous
if you shadow a plumber no one i know has ever drowned as a result of your making a mistake but if you do something while shadowing a gas engineer then the consequences are that much greater
thet cant be watching you every second and their public liability is unlikely to cover work you are doing while with them
tell me what benefit there is for a gas engineer to let someone in their area train up and get qualified and then take their work doesnt really make much sense now does it
if you sign up for a course if you dont research said course and knowing full well you need to build a portfolio of gas evidence dont ensure you have a engineer willing to help you then tbh thats your own silly fault isnt it

welcome,
firstly, you must live in a small town by the sounds of it.

secondly, i think you are too focussed on the industry of 'gas' and not applying enough thought to generall business practices.

whatever you forte you will have to worm your way into that business sector or you will be left by the wayside and find it difficult to make a turn over even if it means playing dirty. there is a no open arms approach to any trade or business.

price fixing does not apply here because of too many variables, ie one man bands. however, the prices charged are in relation to the price standards for that area. under-cutting each other drastically is dangerous because we can all charge £1 per hour. the loosers are the ones with the most out-lay ie, mortgage, kids etc. and those who have been in business for a while can under-cut anyone trying to get into there area if they start trying to pinch business by underpricing.

one more thing, if you cant get there in your own town because it is too small, why not move.?. you cannot expect to be accomodated just because its what you want to do. a local high street with half a dozen supermarkets on it wont work will it?. and they will soon put up protest if another wanted to muscle in.

i think its more a case of gas is dangerous
if you shadow a plumber no one i know has ever drowned as a result of your making a mistake but if you do something while shadowing a gas engineer then the consequences are that much greater
thet cant be watching you every second and their public liability is unlikely to cover work you are doing while with them
tell me what benefit there is for a gas engineer to let someone in their area train up and get qualified and then take their work doesnt really make much sense now does it
if you sign up for a course if you dont research said course and knowing full well you need to build a portfolio of gas evidence dont ensure you have a engineer willing to help you then tbh thats your own silly fault isnt it

If this is directed towards me - then you obviously have not read or understood what I have written, and I would not openly say I am silly - based on what your are writing above :confused:

I researched the course and knew exactly what I had to complete, I had the committment from said person - who then forefit the obligation towards me, and fell to pressure to people who are obviously as scared as you are to have some competition.

I also offered to stay working for the said person for a minimum of 2 years beyond any training support he was giving me ,as a way of giving him something back.
On top of this - I also agreed to pay for all out of pocket expenses that he would incur by having me in tow, and I was also paying for all my own college materials etc.

So I had done everything I could - so now what is your point here, as I am at a loss to understand your logic when you call me silly?

You obviously have a somewhat questionable concern over the training of others - and by simply stating that Gas is dangerous, and water is not - is simply unjustified - especially when you add the part about someone getting trained to remove some workload is basically not logical?

Are you going to tell me here and now that All Gas Safe (or Corgi in the old days) qualified people are Safe - if you are, then I am sorry but I will strongly dissagree. I have seen many installations that are dubious to say the least, but they got the Ticket so they must be safe - Yes?

How many of these said people were getting struck off the Corgi listing through poor workmanship and dangerous installations (how many more should have been struck off if the number of assesors was at a level to be able to catch out the relevant people)?

How many are still installing poorly installed appliances?

Fortunately I have at least walked away with the NVQ 2 & 3 qualifications, so I did not loose everything - only the actual option to go through the Gas side completely, but please don't try and condone this practice on the back of Gas being dangerous.

You are obviously one of the same like minded people who are worried about being in a trade with some quality competition - which is a shame.

To your quote relating to the water side not carrying the inherrant dangers of Gas, could I not blow someones home up if I were to install an unvented system incorrectly - or decided to overide some of the safety devices on the system - and look, no gas here is there, just super heated water due to the extra pressure in the vessel - but you knew that already, but ommitted to show this risk..

It's a shame really that so called proffessional people stoop to this level, for fear of losing out to say someone who could quite possibly be a bonus to them.
There is a lot of talent out there which is being condemed before they can even get off the starting line, through ignorance, self preservation and greed.

Also, you forgot to mention that a lot of gas installations are carried out by non Gas Safe registered people - which is then signed off at the end by a Gas Safe registered person.
So your statement to shadowing a gas qualified plumber having potential ramifications is not justified imho.

All gas work (within the legal realms we are talking about on here), gets finally tested prior to signing off - if it wasn't, then the Gas Safe person has negated the requirements of the task in hand.

We could go on for years with this type of debate - as there are fores and againsts on both sides.
I will never argue to the fact that we should ensure we have qualified people carrying out work - be it gas, general plumbing whatever the task in hand, but I do agrue the fact that the ones who were fortunate to get into the Gas side, should be in a position whereby they call the shots who is worthy to get into the Gas installation side today!

The governent need to act swiftly to this - as we are soon going to approach an era of total lack of skilled people, through the affore mentioned ignorance and greed.

We are seeing this now in my opinion, poor quality installations on both sides. The fast track courses who say they will train you to become a plumber in the quoted time.
Unskilled workers undercutting us all the time.

I did my years at college and got shafted at the end - there is no way that you can say this is justified, and try to turn this around to say it is my fault.

In the years ahead of us, we will once again be calling on trades to come to the UK - in order to meet the demands. We see it everyday - but people like you are so blinkered, that as long as it is not in your back yard - then it's all good.

If this influx begins to affect you - I would hazzard a guess here, and state that you will most probably be one of the first to stand up and say how unfair it is, that the government are letteing this happen. Oh how ironic that would be!

I personally believe this is already the reason behind why the Gas Safe people are closing the doors on others - as it is the only way in which they can keep earning - it has nothing to do with the safety side (which I agree is a concern, no argument from me here) - it simply boils down to who would be prepared to work that little bit harder to get the money at the end of the day.
Whilst the Gas safe option is limited - then you are all safer than if this monopoly was taken away from your control, and you can all keep the costs of repairs etc far higher.

I am sorry but I do not buy into the above advice, as there are a lot of Qualified people out there frightened to allow anyone else into this proffession.
I am City & Guilds level 2 + 3 certified (both 6089), we also had to do the unvented certificate, water regs assesment cert etc.

When it came to work through the Gas portfolio (which I will add, was discussed with this person in detail before I even went to join the Level 3 course at college due to the financial impact etc), I was let down by this said tradesman when it came to working through / signing off my Gas work, so now I am in a very difficult position to be able to get to Gas Safe registry.

The reasons behind it were that the other plumbers in town were placing too much presure on him - and advising him that there is not enough work in the town for them as it is (as you have basically stated above - so you have also inadvertantly said the same thing).

I feel that the UK Gas Qualified plumbers should seriously be taken to task over there 'Boys Club' antics, as price fixing is illegal - which is what you are all doing by limiting who can become Gas Qualified.

Competition is clearly something that the UK Gas Qualified Plumbers are scared of - as is clearly shown by the lack of people willing to help another get through the course.

Also - are we not seeing a move that it is the company that is registered more and more today, which I would then question how this is going to help the original postee get qualified?
He / She will still have to find someone to sign off their work - which is like pulling teeth in todays environment.

I agree we have seen an increase in people thinking that they can earn the marvelous figures in salary, but your part of the problem that is adding to this issue by limiting the numbers of Qualified people coming through the trade.
To add to the comment you made about monetary gains however - you could earn substantially more if people were prepared to work for a living. How often do we see so called tradesmen start late in the morning, pack up at 4.30 as their day is finished?

If there were more Gas Safe qualified people coming through, then the trade would not be seen as so lucrative to others. Competition would be on an equal playing field etc etc.

I feel the qualified among you already know this - hence why they make it extremely difficult for anyone to get into the Gas side of the trade.

Jay

PS - sorry that my first post is like the above, but there are always two sides to this debate. One of which has left me where many others have ended up.

Jay K - how did you achieve your 6089 without passing your ACS? Its part of the course?

Registered gas installers and/or gas safe plumbers do NOT set the standards for gas fitting in the UK the HSE do so dont have a go at gas fitters, you take your issues up with the HSE or read the regs

Your issues about 'price fixing' are absurb and born about you and others being paranoid. Nobody i have ever met in the trade have tried to stop others getting in the trade, it can be difficult at times but its not our fault and its difficult with good reason. There shouldnt be short cuts. we are not under training in the industry, far from it, there have been enough young people come into the trade over the past 10 years so we are not worried all the so called old timers leving the trade with no new blood because that is incorrect.

welcome,
firstly, you must live in a small town by the sounds of it.

Not really small - but I understand where you are coming from here.

secondly, i think you are too focussed on the industry of 'gas' and not applying enough thought to generall business practices.

whatever you forte you will have to worm your way into that business sector or you will be left by the wayside and find it difficult to make a turn over even if it means playing dirty. there is a no open arms approach to any trade or business.

There are two ways to look at what you are saying - to which I do not want to get into a debate, as I fear you may well be a gas engineer - so we would not agree here.

price fixing does not apply here because of too many variables, ie one man bands. however, the prices charged are in relation to the price standards for that area. under-cutting each other drastically is dangerous because we can all charge £1 per hour. the loosers are the ones with the most out-lay ie, mortgage, kids etc. and those who have been in business for a while can under-cut anyone trying to get into there area if they start trying to pinch business by underpricing.

I dissagree here slightly - the pressure of others dictating who can come into a growing location is monopolizing a market for your own personal gains. It has nothing to do with Safety - it is to do with Money in your pocket.
Price fixing does occur in areas - not by each working to the same price persay, but to limit the competition is enough to demand higher prices for your work.

one more thing, if you cant get there in your own town because it is too small, why not move.?. you cannot expect to be accomodated just because its what you want to do. a local high street with half a dozen supermarkets on it wont work will it?. and they will soon put up protest if another wanted to muscle in.

I am not asking - nor have I ever asked anyone to accomodate me, and I have always stood on my own two feet and paid my dues. I have never been on the dole - and I would rather work in an agency than have to claim social.

And as for moving - just to abide by some shallow Gas Qualified person who is scared to accept there is going to be an additional competitor in the area - why?

Also - the important fact to this part, it is not just around my neck of the woods that this type of behaviour is happening, it is country wide.

Unfortunateley, these views are all to often seen today - and I only hope that the younger generation get a better shot at things before it is too late.

As I have said earlier - it is a shame this behaviour is happening, which needs to be addressed before we see serious issues moving forward.

tbh mate with your stroppy attitude i cant see you getting anyone to take you on
no one owes you anything and the simple fact is you were sold the course and relied on getting one engineer to agree to take you on now i really dont see the rest of the gas engineers ganging up to block you that is totally paranoid
do like everyone else has had to do and get on with it lifes tough

I have never witnessed or heard these views before. I work with many many gas engineers and companies and all of them are more than willing to help the right people into the trade. They do expect high standards and may ask alot but thats only to be xpected. If your experience is different i am sorry to hear it but dont tie all fitters with the same brush. You seem angry at your experience but its not due to the goverment or RGI's.
My advice would be not to get bitter and have a go at RGI's but to put your efforts into trying to get th expeirence you need somehow, others have managed it.
You are very misled over a monopoly, many, many, many people have come into the trade recently, in fact more new people often from school leaving age but a range of ages are now newly trained

Jay K - how did you achieve your 6089 without passing your ACS? Its part of the course?

The ACS was not a prerequsite to pass the course - there was an option that was available that the company could sign to state that the individual will not be working on Gas in the field, this negated the partaking of the actual gas part in the Test centre. You still had to carry out the same exams in college as everyone else - both theory and practice in the College booths.

The Level 3 was not simply Gas when we took it, it had two years for us, first year was Complx hot and cold water systems etc, with the final studying the gas in the college only.

Registered gas installers and/or gas safe plumbers do NOT set the standards for gas fitting in the UK the HSE do so dont have a go at gas fitters, you take your issues up with the HSE or read the regs

It is not the standards / regs I have the issues with, hence why I have the Water regs ticket etc - it is the ones who state they do not get in the way of people coming into the gas side of this industry, when clearly the contrary is evident.
Show me where I have written I have issues with the Regs - you will not be able too. I fully appreciate the need for this - but I do not advocate the added pressure of insecure people who are worried about competition.

Your issues about 'price fixing' are absurb and born about you and others being paranoid.

I doubt this very much - I got shafted yes, paranoid no. I know all too well what the costs are to carry out the work , how much the kit costs, servicing costs for the equipment etc - so where is the paranoia?

Nobody i have ever met in the trade have tried to stop others getting in the trade, it can be difficult at times but its not our fault and its difficult with good reason. There shouldnt be short cuts. we are not under training in the industry, far from it, there have been enough young people come into the trade over the past 10 years so we are not worried all the so called old timers leving the trade with no new blood because that is incorrect.

Shame really that people pick up on small parts of the written English. Where have I asked for a shortcut?
Obviously you live in an area that welcomes people open armed, to be able to increase there level of qualifications - pity it is not all over the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to How do I become Gas Safe trained and registered in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock