Discuss Hot Water Copper Cylinder - Indirect ( DIY Job) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newark will quite happily build you a custom cylinder to your spec.

Newark will quite happily build you a custom cylinder to your spec.

So Newark are the good ones :)? someone else told me the same; it's a shame they don't have estimate prices on their site like others at least to have an idea.

JCS: I can barely fit one in my cupboard :)...no place for 2 and don't have space to build another cupboard or put the cylinder...

Think JCS meant your cold water tank could have a second tank added.
If you do fit a second cwt, use one for cold feed & the other for hot feed & fit a ball valve to each tank

If you read that again mate you'll notice that I said increase both sizes (cwsc and hot water storage)not add another hot water storage cylinder:smiley2:

I've got 15mm secondary return on my SS cylinder but was thinking of cutting an Essex to fit a shower pump as I can't get any salamander/Surrey to fit, you think that'll be enough?

Last edited:
JCS and Best,

I've done all the calculations today and I can only go for 1500mm x 450mm ( including insulation) for the Hot Water Cylinder and I cannot have a bigger Cold Water tank as I won't be able to put it in the attic...won't fit through the attic door; so my only chance is to have another Cold Water tank next to the current one and then connect them...but I suppose that mains to one tank should be enough...the other one will get the water from the pipe connection.

What do you think about 25mm insulation for HWC? it will allow me to have bigger capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there any reason you have to have a 3 bar shower pump? Sometimes a little compromise can save you a boat load of money. If you downsized to a 1.5 bar shower pump you will have double the shower time and not spend anything. The pump it self would also be cheaper as would your water bill.

My point about putting a ballvalve on each tank if you do fit an extra tank is that the water will be less dormant. Also better just to use one tank for cold draw off & other for hot. You will always be blending the waters anyway.
Why do you need massive amounts of water just to shower? Most of the water just goes down the drain. Low flow shower = extra time in shower perhaps to get well soaked. High flow shower should = a few minute shower to get well washed.

Insulation, no, it won't meet building regs.

Consider also other tank suppliers: JouleUK, also very accommodating on specials. When they quote a width that includes the pipe bushes, so we managed to get a 550 mm cylinder through a 525 mm loft hatch :)

They have 450mm diameter ones in sizes from 100 litre (925mm high) up to 230 litre (2000 high)

the only reason for buying a 3 bar pump is that I had less than 3 bars in the past and did not like the power shower...maybe something else was wrong but there wasn't too much pressure.

Worcester,

Yes, I know the Part L regulations but is it that bad to have 25mm insulation?...I've only seen one cylinder to a friend of mine with 20 mm - 30 mm insulation and he said his bills are the same...don't know what to believe.

Now since I started to cut some pipes to make space for the bigger cylinder I thought to change some stopcock valves with full bores valves ...is this a bad idea? some people say to replace with new stopcok ones some say that full bore valves are much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hot Water Copper Cylinder - Indirect ( DIY Job) in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi, Later this year I am going away for a 2 week holiday and as the weather will be warm there is no need for the heating to be on and arguably...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock