Search the forum,

Discuss High efficiency gas fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dm65

Just a quickie - can the high efficiency type of gas fire be fitted in a standard, lined chimney or do they have to attach direct to a vent through the wall ?

I will NOT be doing this myself, but want to rip out existing infill in my chimney breast and prepare for a new fire

Regards

Denis

Can you specify exactly the make and model of the fire....

I suspect your referring to flueless ???
If thats the case...They are high efficiency on paper until you knock a gaping hole in your wall for neccasary ventilation purposes...

Last edited by a moderator:
High effciency and fire - two words that shouldn't be in the same sentence.

In all seriousness though, do you know the model of fire you'll be fitting?

Sorry, I don't know which fire yet but have recently exposed the brickwork on my chimney breast which has uncovered the original opening and lintel

Now (finally) decided to make it flat again instead of opening it up as originally intended and want to have one of those inset or 'hole in the wall' type of fires installed after I've rebuilt the face under the lintel

How many posts do you need before you can upload pictures ? It's always easier to understand and explain with a picture

Anyway, this then leads me to the million dollar question of what I can use with my existing flue which is a lined traditional chimney - I live in an old terraced house if that helps - so I can brick it up accordingly

And definitely not flueless, read some bad stuff about them last night

Regards

Denis

Id seeek advice from a gas safe registered fire installer before you go changing or modifying the opening size or internal faces as you may have to make further changes if it doesnt meet regs after your work is done.

Understood Phil and I have been recommended one but I just need to redo what is essentially stacked bricks around the existing opening but also cater for the intended fire and think that the cap (is that the right word for it ?) needs to be higher up than it is now

Pictures !!! :mad:

Problem I see online is most are only pushing out 4.1kw.
If you're open plan or large lounge wouldn't think it's enough...rads on too:-(

Last edited:
Problem is see online is most are only pushing out 4.1kw.
If you're open plan or large lounge wouldn't think it's enough...rads on too:-(

Really, I assumed that was quite hot - I was contemplating electric at first !?!

Thanks for the link - need only 2kw (small rooms) according to that but want MORE !!

Sorry :thinking:

The good news is I've just installed a 2kw radiator so should be warm this winter (bloody cold when I moved in Feb) with any fire but I fancy one of those inset jobs just hanging in the wall and no fireplace

Thanks for the link - need only 2kw (small rooms) according to that but want MORE !!

Sorry :thinking:

The good news is I've just installed a 2kw radiator so should be warm this winter (bloody cold when I moved in Feb) with any fire but I fancy one of those inset jobs just hanging in the wall and no fireplace[/QUOTE

A few mates have wall hangers and they reckon you'd be as well to hang a picture of one than the real thing...poor heat output, so they say.

You could try a flueless version of this...perhaps

http://www.fires2u.com/product/912/flavel-windsor-contemporary-he-high-efficiency-gas-fire.html

Last edited:
Thanks both

As aid, I am staying away from flueless - pointless anyway as I have a fully functional (hopefully) chimney

I have read that the glass fronted fires radiate better so perhaps that's the difference between experiences ?

Back in a bit, gonna install firefox as this site acts a bit weird in IE

Baxi Bahamas! You will probably need the chimney lining with kopex.

Installed firefox to see if I could upload some damn pictures but can't do it in that either

I've twertled around a bit on the pooter so we'll see ....

A Baxi Bahama seems to be a boiler :confused5: - I know we've strayed from the original post a bit but come on

Ok, here's a picture at last

What I want to do is take out the dodgy brick work below the lintel and build it back up again but leave a suitable opening for one of these hole in the wall fires - actual fire is proving difficult to find but they all need a hole right ?

You can hopefully see the existing liner which drops down to the existing opening behind the quality bit of regulation hardboard

Plumber dude coming to sort my tap is supposed to be gsr so I will be getting him to do something with the gas pipe (hopefully)

Hope that helps explain things

I'd be somewhat careful knocking all that out, b all holding up that lintel in the first place, which is then supporting several tons of chimney above, one of the reasons for using a decent builder to do this sort of work

I'd be somewhat careful knocking all that out, b all holding up that lintel in the first place, which is then supporting several tons of chimney above, one of the reasons for using a decent builder to do this sort of work
Agreed

Drill will be used on the plaster/cement sides only. Infill coming out slowly by hand afterwards

Rebuild will be lintel bottom, eng brick with another lintel above the opening for the new fire

If you go for the brushed steel finish: go over the brushed steel with baby oil and wipe.
You'll never have those horrible finger print marks on the steel thereater.
Kitchen fitter showed me this trick.

Last edited:
If you go for the brushed steel finish: go over the brushed steel with baby oil and wipe.
You'll never have those horrible finger print marks on the steel thereater.
Kitchen fitter showed me this trick.
You can offer my plumber some baby oil if you want :)

Good tip though, thanks. I assume this is before first heat ?

I do know that gloves are supplied for handling the surround when fitting

You can offer my plumber some baby oil if you want :)

Good tip though, thanks. I assume this is before first heat ?

I do know that gloves are supplied for handling the surround when fitting

Yes, before use. They use it on oven doors etc, so should work for you.

Evening all

Here is the just gone 20 past 10 news

My liner doesn't work !

Good night

Seriously, after capping my gas, the plumber lit a smoke pellet and we didn't get any smoke out of the chimney

None inside either which is good I suppose, but I SWEAR I could smell the pellet in my attic if you can actually smell these things

Can anyone on here recommend anyone to do an inspection (I'm in Leeds) or does anyone on here do them ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm glad Ermintrude likes this - shame its not enough to 'pop over' and sort me out (so to speak)

I've just arranged a sweep (until this morning, I didn't even know a liner needed sweeping !) for the 15th of October so will let you know if you're interested

Much cheaper than I thought as well, ÂŁ45 for sweep, test and hopefully a certificate

I'm glad Ermintrude likes this - shame its not enough to 'pop over' and sort me out (so to speak)

I've just arranged a sweep (until this morning, I didn't even know a liner needed sweeping !) for the 15th of October so will let you know if you're interested

Much cheaper than I thought as well, ÂŁ45 for sweep, test and hopefully a certificate

Baby oil and "Pop over and sort me out." on the same thread...heavens:)

Is it still the original liner? It shoul be replaced if connecting it to a new appliance unless you can guarantee that it will last as long as the appliance it self which would involve removing and inspecting it but chances are it will unravel as your pulling it out.

And yes you can smell smoke pellets so I would say your liner has had it.

Is it still the original liner? It shoul be replaced if connecting it to a new appliance unless you can guarantee that it will last as long as the appliance it self which would involve removing and inspecting it but chances are it will unravel as your pulling it out.

And yes you can smell smoke pellets so I would say your liner has had it.

That sounds like sensible advice so I will investigate but I'm guessing this will cost slightly more than ÂŁ45 :sad:

Liners only have 10/15 year life span. So old bbu to fire = new liner.

That sounds like sensible advice so I will investigate but I'm guessing this will cost slightly more than ÂŁ45 :sad:

Probably but you can't put a price on being safe and my way of looking at it is if you are going to do something do it right first time.

Well woop de woop

Rather clean chimney sweep came round today and has pronounced this safe - we got plenty of smoke from his test (all in the right place)

Great, so can now rebuild that tat that somebody's mum calls infill and get the fire fitted

I reckon I'll be older by the time I get this fire lit :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to High efficiency gas fires in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi Guys, My chimney failed the test so I need to install a flue liner for my Gazco Stockton gas fire. It was over a year ago when the engineer condemned the chimney and I remember him also saying something about it needing some sort of box fitted into the fire recess but I can't remember the...
Replies
Views
All, Belfast, Northern Ireland. I am in a bit of a predicament. I have recently had a stove fitted in a chimney that had a disconnected and capped gas fire. The old gas line went straight out the back wall and was visibly capped a short distance from the gas meter. A simple pull out job. Upon...
Replies
Views
Hello all, The kitchen sink in the property we are renting drains really slowly, and I was hoping to remedy or alleviate this with some educated advice. In addition to draining slowly, the sink also back fills when the washing machine pumps water out. I have had the initial undersink work...
Replies
Views
E
I reckon if I did a survey of 100 heating engineers, asking what would they recommend for heating a granny annexe being built onto the side of my house, in place of the garage, most would give me a suggestion to put in a) an extension to the existing boiler rad circuit & electric water heaters...
Replies
Views
eco-heating options
E
Hi all, My customer has a gas fire with an external gas pipe (runs across the front of the fire - see pic). He'd like a new gas fire. No chance of re-running the pipe through the chimney opening. Any ideas of a gas fire that would suit? I've looked at a few, but would like the gas connections...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock