Discuss Hard water area+Heat Exchanger, ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Starship1

Hi All, Hope i have entered the right subject area..

I had a Worcester Combi Boiler fitted in Sept 06, since that date i have had 3 new Heat Exchangers fitted,( that would be 4 in total) the lastest one being fitted today, this will be the first i have to pay for as the others have been under warrenty.

I know i am in a hard water area of Norfolk, I'm told by Worcester that i need a water softner, which i agree with, but as i told Worcester, surly 4 heat exchnagers is a little extreme, which they replied well you need a water softner, I have visited some 14 neighbours in the area asking if they have problems with there water, and yes, but all said they have never had to replace any parts with in such a short period, only one was running a water softner.
I have spoken to Anglian Water and British Water also a local Plumber came in, all said its does seem extreme to have so many replacements in such a short period..
Making some phone contact with Worcester they do not admit there system is at fault...
Question, Do i have an aguement to forward Worcester ?.

I know a water softner would be the answer,at some £600-£800 to have one fitted its not finacialy its not possible yet. and i am not sure that i should have to pay these costs just because there unit cannot take a little hard water.....

My second questions is,
Its it fairly simple to fit a water softner, i am thinking its just placing the line between mains IN, and Mains OUT...

Thanks for the time...

Hi All, Hope i have entered the right subject area..

I had a Worcester Combi Boiler fitted in Sept 06, since that date i have had 3 new Heat Exchangers fitted,( that would be 4 in total) the lastest one being fitted today, this will be the first i have to pay for as the others have been under warrenty.

I know i am in a hard water area of Norfolk, I'm told by Worcester that i need a water softner, which i agree with, but as i told Worcester, surly 4 heat exchnagers is a little extreme, which they replied well you need a water softner, I have visited some 14 neighbours in the area asking if they have problems with there water, and yes, but all said they have never had to replace any parts with in such a short period, only one was running a water softner.
I have spoken to Anglian Water and British Water also a local Plumber came in, all said its does seem extreme to have so many replacements in such a short period..
Making some phone contact with Worcester they do not admit there system is at fault...
Question, Do i have an aguement to forward Worcester ?.

I know a water softner would be the answer,at some £600-£800 to have one fitted its not finacialy its not possible yet. and i am not sure that i should have to pay these costs just because there unit cannot take a little hard water.....

My second questions is,
Its it fairly simple to fit a water softner, i am thinking its just placing the line between mains IN, and Mains OUT...

Thanks for the time...

So in summary your plumber fitted a boiler that is not fit for purpose I believe a call to trading standards is in ,sale and supply of goods and services act....

Worcester will have their backs covered with a clause instructing that hard warer will damage etc.

As for a softner are you going for a salt saturator which needs topping up or a cartridge type?

So in summary your plumber fitted a boiler that is not fit for purpose I believe a call to trading standards is in ,sale and supply of goods and services act....

Worcester will have their backs covered with a clause instructing that hard warer will damage etc.

As for a softner are you going for a salt saturator which needs topping up or a cartridge type?

Thanks for the quick reply, Trading Standards, any idee where i can make contact, such as online...

I should add that the whole system was provided through Warm Front,under the Energy saving. An independent Plumber said all work was up to spec, it seems the blame is towards the manufacturer, Worcester...
I'm also awaiting a return call from the Energy Saving Trust just to see what they might offer...

When i go for a water softner i thought it might well have to be a salt one, as i'am unsure of anything else that might help or cope with my situation....

any advise gratefully received...
...Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
I would agree with that. What do Worcester claim for their boiler?
Surely they realise the UK has many hard water areas and so the boilers should be able to cope with a bit more than those very short periods.

Water softeners come in all shapes and sizes, but providing you have the space they are fairly easy to fit and maintain.

Re: Hard water area+Heat Exchanger, ??? UPDATE

Thanks Bernie.

Update as far.
The engineer came out replaced the Heat Exchanger, at this point i understand there is going to be no charge, although the old one was scaled up, NOW it seems that my pipes are scaled up as well, this is a new one for me , in all the yrs i have lived here it has never happened, untill i had this new system fitted.

It was suggested that i need my pipes discaled, so now i have new questions.

1; Is this normal?,
2; Can it be done?,
3; Is it exspensive?.
4; If the pipes are scaled up, would this not cause more pressure?,

Any quick replies would be gratful, i have my wife going into hospital next week and returning where she will have to have dayley baths, so i was hoping to solve the problem soonest..
Thanks...

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Hard water area+Heat Exchanger, ??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock