Search the forum,

Discuss Guide me in the right direction please lads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charliie

Hello everyone, great forum you got here. Should be a regular on this site as its got alot of stuff i can learn.

Im currently in my first year at college doing my City & Guilds 6128 Heating & Ventilation Installation Level 2 NVQ which im really getting in to but its only 3 days a week. What else could i do while im still at college? Is there any other short courses i could do which would benefit me later on. Or would i be better trying to get a work placement? which is pretty hard for me as im only 18. Am i too young and inexperienced to get a apprenticeship? because ive had no luck online, do i need to approach companys myself?

Any help would be most gratefull.

Renewables - definitely. It's the way ahead and the market is potentially huge. It would also give you an advantage over established businesses which have not yet gotten involved in it.

Short course on small businesses - These include business and financial management, planning, marketing, purchasing, budgeting, time management, tax, Health, Safety and Environment etc and most colleges run them. These courses are excellent for someone just starting out as it will give you an understanding on how small business operate and of best practice. Many businesses fold because they are managed poorly.

Last edited:
how are you doing the nvq at college mate ? you need to be in a job. not too young or inexperienced to be an apprentice - they start as young as 16, most of the lads on my level 2 course were 16 i was 29 -now 30 doing level 3 and theyre all nearly 18. My thinking is your doing the city and guilds tech cert 6128, if this is the case try and get employment so you can get on the proper level 2 course once your on this you will get them tech certs theyre only a small part of the main course. and are virtually useless on there own as you can see with all the fast trackers struggling to get any employment.

of course you can go for your water regs unvented etc etc - but these are gained on a proper nvq course (level 3) as well as your ccn1 and a few other certs.

Hi. Emails and letters don't say much. Get about in the area you live and ask, ask ,ask. If your face fits you might get a chance. Think what you are going to say to prospective employer before you meet them. Good Luck

q-plumb - Ive recently completed a 'fast track' course towards nvq 2 and this included unvented systems and bpec water regs... Someone else also mentioned this was a bit advanced for nvq 2 level..??
Confused.com

q-plumb - Ive recently completed a 'fast track' course towards nvq 2 and this included unvented systems and bpec water regs... Someone else also mentioned this was a bit advanced for nvq 2 level..??
Confused.com

well your nvq level 3 includes unvented and water regs mate, so yeah its advanced but its like showing a bloke how to change an exhaust system before learning how to change a wheel and then calling him a mechanic. if you get my drift. still good quals to have mind you. but knowing how unvented work and fitting them into a system knowing pipe sizes, pump sizes, how to run pipes, little tricks of the trade so to speak are 2 different things - but your on the right track. But go to get employed by someone and they'll ask for you nvq level 3 certs, you cant get that without your level 2 in place. Tell them youve got unvented and water regs is like telling them youve got section 3 and 4 of a 12 section portfolio.

Best idea is to try and get employment, tell people your willing to work for free, put signs up in the local plumbing supplies, i have seen one or 2 adds in all my time, and we always look at them. especially if they said work for free haha. you'll prob be clearing rubbish knocking tiles off the walls passing tools trips to van but your in there. Get to know a few of the other lads in the merchants and bobs your uncle you could be working for 70 quid a week, and a place in college, **** money i know but plod along get a few foreigners off your family and top your wages up.

fast track isnt the way forward imo mate, youve done well but by time your ready to fit an unvented cyclinder (one of the most dangerous if you dont do it right) you'll need to re sit your unvented course.

Charlile - Sorry for Hijacking your post!!

q-plumb - Yeah i totally agree with you, ive been to a couple of local plumbers i know who are willing to take me on 'for free' but the issue i have is im currently working full time in LTSB and cant afford to leave and work for free (mortgage, car, little girl etc).
My only option which im considering is to advertise in work and hopefully take on 'small jobs' on evening and weekends until my current job goes through a 're-structure/redundant' at the end of this year.. then i can concentrate on full time plumbing with someone more experienced
In regards to the fast track, it has given me a better understanding of plumbing and the basic theory required but i know that 'on the job' experience seems to been far more beneficial!
Thanks for your advice!!

Liam

Charlile - Sorry for Hijacking your post!!

q-plumb - Yeah i totally agree with you, ive been to a couple of local plumbers i know who are willing to take me on 'for free' but the issue i have is im currently working full time in LTSB and cant afford to leave and work for free (mortgage, car, little girl etc).
My only option which im considering is to advertise in work and hopefully take on 'small jobs' on evening and weekends until my current job goes through a 're-structure/redundant' at the end of this year.. then i can concentrate on full time plumbing with someone more experienced
In regards to the fast track, it has given me a better understanding of plumbing and the basic theory required but i know that 'on the job' experience seems to been far more beneficial!
Thanks for your advice!!

Liam

you sound like your doing all you can for time being mate - carry on as you are work for friends and relatives dont take too much on skill wise get used to different systems. im 30 with family 3 bed house another one on the way, currently completing my level 3 folder (nvq) as an apprentice with 17-18 yr olds who cant be arsed so well done for doing what your doing, least your making an effort. ive been in the construction trade for a long time but working away and starting a family dont work - thats the reason ive gone from nearly a grand a week working in london to and apprenticeship earning 165 in north wales! the things you do for love eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Guide me in the right direction please lads in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock