Search the forum,

Discuss Felt - to stop noises in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mo7

I have just had first fix done on my house for a new boiler.

I had a lot of problems on my old boielr with nosies caused by copper touching wood.

I have therefore asked for felt on all copper to wood connections.

The guy has gone it but missed one or two spots so I said I would just get some and do it myself.

I have no floorboards - they are going on next week.

My question is - can I overdo it on the felt?

He has put it on the joists where the pipes sit on top - I was going to put some ontop of the pipe incase it touches the floorboard. This could a comrpession effect though if the gap is tight.

Also is there any problem is copper touches copper so shall I use some felt to ensure they are also not touching?

I bought a roll for Ā£2 so no biggie using it all up.

shouldn't do but as you have said you need to check how much space you have from the top of the pipes to the underside of the board, as if too tight this can cause the same issue with tight copper on wood

Length of straight runs can also be problem, use adequate dog legs to cope with expansion

I note that the the guy has felteded in some joist notches so the felt will 'wrap' over and cover the top whereas in other places the notch is not so deep that there is no space for wrap over and the floorboard will most likely touch the pipe - and if I do wrap then there will be pressure on the pipe.

Als I note when going down noggins in studs he had put the felt sort of down one of half the tube -I spose this kind of wedges the tube firm, but my concern is if it push the pipe onto the wood over time - if you see what I mean! wonder if I should wedge in from the otherside to ensure it can never touch the edge.

Stuff as much as you can in where you can won't hurt pal. as you know if the pipes touch wood they'll click. But they wont expanding touching hair felt.

Pipes should have been fitted carefully with slightly more out of depth of cut to allow space between top of pipes & bottom of boards. Sometimes you got to try a straight piece of pipe along a few cut out joists to check if any are a bit higher than others & need a bit extra nicked out. Even a sharp hand saw to round the base of cut out will do.
I use damp course pvc at joists just to be certain no noise. You can wrap it around the pipe & tape it with insulating tape before sliding it to the joist position.

I find hair felt to be good but too bulky for some notched cut outs and for most drilled holes.
Also is a bit of a fire hazard if soldering done in future. Unless you use the all nylon hair felt which only melts.

A thinner material would be ideal - only suggestion is plastic DPC so far. Any others?

Only issue may be on some runs he has laid the pipes onto the felt so if I put something thinner down it wouldnt necessarily make the pipe drop down a huge amount anyway as they are fixed into place by other joins etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Felt - to stop noises in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock