Discuss External AAV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buffster

I'm having to extend a SVP to accommodate a new upstairs bathroom. The SVP currently vents upwards at the end of the original extension of my Victorian terrace. I want to put a bathroom on the first floor by branching the existing SVP, allowing it to vent as it does now but extending the branch back to the main part of the house and running it up the rear wall. Then I'm a bit stuck. I can't really have the extended bit as an open SVP as there are attic windows within 3m of wherever it could run, and exteending it above them is impractical. The new bathroom isn't very big, and I wouldn't want to have to squeeze pipework for an AAV in there. I was considering extending the soil pipe, taking it into the house just below the eaves, and fitting an AAV in the eave space at the edge of the attic bedroom. Then I saw this (hopefully I'll be allowed to post a link)

FloPlast AX110 External Air Admittance Valve

I've been told that because it is BBA approved it should be OK, but I just wondered if anyone has installed one? Anyone tried to get one approved by BC yet?

I'm having to extend a SVP to accommodate a new upstairs bathroom. The SVP currently vents upwards at the end of the original extension of my Victorian terrace. I want to put a bathroom on the first floor by branching the existing SVP, allowing it to vent as it does now but extending the branch back to the main part of the house and running it up the rear wall. Then I'm a bit stuck. I can't really have the extended bit as an open SVP as there are attic windows within 3m of wherever it could run, and exteending it above them is impractical. The new bathroom isn't very big, and I wouldn't want to have to squeeze pipework for an AAV in there. I was considering extending the soil pipe, taking it into the house just below the eaves, and fitting an AAV in the eave space at the edge of the attic bedroom. Then I saw this (hopefully I'll be allowed to post a link)

FloPlast AX110 External Air Admittance Valve

I've been told that because it is BBA approved it should be OK, but I just wondered if anyone has installed one? Anyone tried to get one approved by BC yet?

just help me a little - is this the only vent or a second vent? wil the aav be external?

just help me a little - is this the only vent or a second vent? wil the aav be external?

The pipe rises vertically from the existing ground floor toilet and vents there, at a height of approximately 4m. I want to branch it about 2.3m up, leaving the original vent in place but creating a substack (?) approximately 3.3m away to service the new bathroom, and it is on the top of this that I'm looking to use the AAV which will be external.

So, this would be a second vent, and yes, the AAV would be external.

The pipe rises vertically from the existing ground floor toilet and vents there, at a height of approximately 4m. I want to branch it about 2.3m up, leaving the original vent in place but creating a substack (?) approximately 3.3m away to service the new bathroom, and it is on the top of this that I'm looking to use the AAV which will be external.

So, this would be a second vent, and yes, the AAV would be external.

i see - second vent can be an AAV no problem, but last time i checked AAV's cannot be used externally. I would try to fit the AAV internal or extend up and just use as normal vent. Thats unless the new vents state can be used outside?

i see - second vent can be an AAV no problem, but last time i checked AAV's cannot be used externally. I would try to fit the AAV internal or extend up and just use as normal vent. Thats unless the new vents state can be used outside?

I can't extend it as a normal vent due to attic windows which are within 3m of wherever I could extend the soil pipe. I must admit I thought AAVs had to be internal until I found the one in the link I posted for an external one, but as it is a newish product I thought I'd sound things out here to see if anyone had any experience with them. Basically an external AAV would be much easier to install than an internal one, but would like to hear from someone who knows what they are on about rather than me being an enthusiastic amateur.

If your branch is less than 6m, do you need a second vent stack.
See below link to download Part H Building Regs
[DLMURL]http://www.burnley.gov.uk/site/scripts/download_info.php?fileID=1979[/DLMURL]
Cheers
Jack

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to External AAV in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock