Discuss Exposed pipes - a query in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello all

I have recently purchased a property and now starting to slice up the various jobs into DIY vs get a professional in.

Given the likely disruption, one of the early tasks I want to address is the exposed central heating pipework that effectively does a full loop around the first floor (wood joists)

Hopefully the pictures are of assistance. In a nutshell I am looking to have these covered and have the following questions:

1) is this something that a competent DIYer can take on?
2) the pipework covers 4 bedrooms and a bathroom, any idea would it would cost to have a professional do the work? (floorboards easy access throughout)
3) the pipes are much thicker than I am used to, is this just a case of different standards at the time it was originally installed? and would that mean pipework all the way back to the boiler would need to be changed so that it is the same diameter throughout?
4) the house was surprisingly warm for its age, would those thick pipes be doing a good job of distributing heat throughout the rooms (in addition to the radiator) or should I view it as an inefficient waste and my alterations would be more than just cosmetic?

Thanks in advance for all and any help

Martin

WC.jpg

Bed 3.jpg
Bed 2.jpg

A gravity (possibly) circulated one pipe system from a bygone era. A beautiful example of an early 20th century heating system preserved in a time capsule including cast iron radiators and pipework with 100 years worth of internal corrosion.

If you want efficiency, get system upgraded to two pipe system. A full strip out and start again for a professional (not of the faint hearted type).

A gravity (possibly) circulated one pipe system from a bygone era. A beautiful example of an early 20th century heating system preserved in a time capsule including cast iron radiators and pipework with 100 years worth of internal corrosion.

If you want efficiency, get system upgraded to two pipe system. A full strip out and start again for a professional (not of the faint hearted type).
eeek! doesn't sound cheap and also not something I would attempt from a DIY angle.
excluding cost of news radiators, any ballpark idea what this might set me back?

Baxi (gas) system boiler, around 10yrs old
As Gasmk says, big job, much disruption.

If it isn't leaking and it works well, you might be better keeping it going. I work in a lot of buildings with systems that age and they are still going strong. If the boiler hasn't got one now, then when you change it it would be better with a commercial filter (to protect the plate) and a plate heat exchanger to separate the old from the new.

As Gasmk says, big job, much disruption.

If it isn't leaking and it works well, you might be better keeping it going. I work in a lot of buildings with systems that age and they are still going strong. If the boiler hasn't got one now, then when you change it it would be better with a commercial filter (to protect the plate) and a plate heat exchanger to separate the old from the new.
Done it this way a couple of times best method if keeping large old systems Whether one or two pipe systems, good call

Reply to Exposed pipes - a query in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Hi all. I recently upgraded our CH system, but rather than the expected drop in gas consumption, Octopus is saying we're using roughly 30% more...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone. I'm installing a walk in shower, opening into shower will be on right, mixer value on right, but shower head and drain on left. The...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
A
Hi, I am replacing a leaking push fit flexi tap connector under the bath with a compression fitting flexi. The problem is that the old pipe seems...
Replies
Views
Hi, Over the past few months, my wife and I have noticed a constant pulsing sound throughout the house which is particularly noisy at night (this...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock