Search the forum,

Discuss DIY shower with exposed pipework in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi everyone. I'm installing a walk in shower, opening into shower will be on right, mixer value on right, but shower head and drain on left.
The pipe work from the shower mixer valve is exposed silver colour pipework. the pipe work will run up from the valve then take a hard left at the ceiling to go along in brackets to where i'll have a big rain shower head. the shower tray is 1600mm, so the run along the ceiling will need to be roughly 1100mm -1150mm away from the wall where the valve is. we also want a hose /shower for cleaning so the mixer valve needs 2 outlets.
For me to do this I think I need..
1. a Dual Thermostatic Exposed Shower Valve
2. silver coloured copper pipe work
3. some nice brackets to hold the pipe work
4. a right angle joint.. a nice one
5. shower head
6. the components to connect the shower head to the pipework.
mm
now, if there was a shower extension arm long enough i'd use that, bit longest i've found is about 480mm

It all makes sense in my head but i don't know what to search for, please help :)

I've done you a noddy picture.. hope it tells the story

thank you

Attachments

• shower setup.jpg
    shower setup.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 30
why would you do that?

It will be a massive dirt cob web trap. You will struggle to fix the brackets up, the chrome plating will look tatty after a while.

There are better ways to do it such as move the valve or use a concealed valve. Have you ruled them out?

why would you do that?

It will be a massive dirt cob web trap. You will struggle to fix the brackets up, the chrome plating will look tatty after a while.

There are better ways to do it such as move the valve or use a concealed valve. Have you ruled them out?
Hi Fowlerboi, thanks for replying.. yes, we have (had) ruled out as the boss wants to start shower without getting wet and i want pipework exposed. getting to everything from above will be challenging.. BUT always happy to consider other options.. but also want to keep my plan as an option.

to be honest i like my idea :) weve had chrome in house for yrs and it never looked tatty. see piccy of look i'm after, just want to know how i could extend the arm further..

Attachments

• shower.jpg
    shower.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Can be done need to find on that either accepts 22mm chrome tube or you can use a male iron in the end

They don't make arms that long because the leverage on it would be too big and destroy the fittings and what ever it was fixed to.

It would look better if you went straight into the ceiling and then came down vertically to the shower head location

As above.
Soldering chrome is not for the faint hearted - basically solder doesn't bond with chrome, so you have to remove it down to bare copper. But done properly and with care it would look the neatest job.
(not particularly keen on the clip below, but gives you the idea!)

Reply to DIY shower with exposed pipework in the Bathrooms, Showers and Wetrooms area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock